An expedition truck on portals...

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
If that means permanent attachment, I like this one : http://www.aurinco.com/solar-electric_us.html (they have offices in Sweden, France and the UK). No experience with it, just like it.

If "extremely tough" is needed, then AT has some that could be deployed, but I do not know about attaching it permanently : http://www.adventuretrailers.com/page/accessories/12_volt_and_solar/solar/

Hope this helps.

Some help needed....I am looking for high-output, extremely tough, solar panel to put on the cab´s roof. Any experiences? Suggestions?

Kels

finally finished and ready for extensive abuse....

Portals-LR-017_web800.jpg

Portals-LR-033_web800.jpg

Portals-LR-045_web800.jpg

4" Bolt-On Portal on Hutchinson Beadlock / CTIS prepared / standard brake caliper / approx. 20% reduction / available for a variety of axles

The 5" portals on the Rhino have sofar covered 46,000km and are still doing fine.
We´ll change the housings and I will go for a twin brake setup....

How much for the 4inch portals? Can they also run any stud pattern at the lower flange?

Gotta say - your truck is awesome, I'm planning on using a lot of your ideas on my own 130, especially the rear bed setup. Thanks for the inspiration!

Adam

Oilworker

Explorer
After another weeks work on the truck...electrics and stuff...we went to have some fun for the weekend....

20110416_26400_web800t.jpg

20110416_26446_web800t.jpg

20110416_26471b_cut800t.jpg

20110416_26592b_cut800t.jpg

20110416_26598_cut800t.jpg

So long,

Robert

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
Nice pictures, looks like you have some cleaning to do :)

2 questions,

Is that other Land Rover on portals as well?

Are you winching that Unimog (416 DoKa is it?) Up? Did he have a mechanical failure?

Oops, guess that's 3 questions

20110416_26446_web800t.jpg

Oilworker

Explorer
Nice pictures, looks like you have some cleaning to do :)

2 questions,

Is that other Land Rover on portals as well?

Are you winching that Unimog (416 DoKa is it?) Up? Did he have a mechanical failure?

Oops, guess that's 3 questions.

The cleaning was pretty quick as the had a washing area as you return to the camp site. Like that you can clean your truck before it all dries.

The other Defender is a 110SW standing on the same portals as I have, though the owner used Dana44 axles as he installed a 8.1L engine he salvaged from a Chevy.

I was actually winching the Unimog a few feet, until the trailing arms hit the concrete and I would have had to actually pull the full weight...
The Unimog was fine, but it was a step of about a yard hight from the sandy slope and he lost traction. He then backed down again and went over the edge on the side.

Oh, and it isn´t really a 416 DoKa anymore :drool: it´s been slightly modified...

20110416_26489_cut800t.jpg

20110416_26493_cut800t.jpg

Funrover

Expedition Leader
What a fantastic build. I wish I could afford the portal set up. IMO it seems like the way to go. I love your rig, thanks for all the great pictures and information!

Oilworker

Explorer
Got a question.

After just 10 months one of my Albright solenoids looked like this....

20110415_26337_cut800.jpg

Is there an alternative to these which is really 100% waterproof or is there a method of waterproofing them properly?

Thanx,

Robert

Oilworker

Explorer
....and one more image showing the rear view with the tray rack and tent...

20110416_26484_cut800t.jpg

Sadly I havn´t had the chance to adjust the rear cage´s top bars :(

The tray cover is scheduled to be finished, made from alloy with some reinforcments, early May.

94Discovery

Adventurer
Got a question.

After just 10 months one of my Albright solenoids looked like this....

20110415_26337_cut800.jpg

Is there an alternative to these which is really 100% waterproof or is there a method of waterproofing them properly?

Thanx,

Robert
this solenoid is advertised as water proof but i guess it is not i just ordered one and i was gonna install it without protection ,but now as you posted this picture i will not .
you can install it in a small plastic box that is used for outdoor electric component .
IMG_0112.jpg

here you can see the seal
IMG_0113.jpg

when you pass your cables pass them throw a fitting like this one if i am not mistake it is called press et toup
IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
....and one more image showing the rear view with the tray rack and tent...

20110416_26484_cut800t.jpg

Sadly I havn´t had the chance to adjust the rear cage´s top bars :(

The tray cover is scheduled to be finished, made from alloy with some reinforcments, early May.

I am a confirmed and Die-hard Toyota guy... but OH MAN does this Defender 130 STIR MY SOUL!!!!! Such an amazingly :drool: -worthy truck. that other 110 on Portals looks AMAZING too (not to mention the awesome Mog - reminds me of the ones I used for Wildland engines some years ago)

Truly a BEAUTIFUL truck mate. I LOVE the rear body and cage work. EVERYTHING is just so PERFECTLY done on this truck. I love the interior too, it looks like a 747, I wish I had that many levers and switches and all the assosciated toys they run. SO COOL!!!!!!

Cheers

Dave

Oilworker

Explorer
Thanx for the advice on the solenoids.
For now I have covered them in oil and put a box around them. Sofar it works.

The new rear cage should be finished later the coming week and maybe I can really finish all of this too until the Breslau Rallye.
I really want to get rid of all those templates, even though I am still adding extending them.

Here´s some footage from yesterdays drive in one of Germany´s biggest open pit mines....

20110514_33074_cut800t.jpg

20110514_33088_cut800t.jpg

20110514_33101_cut800t.jpg

Oilworker

Explorer
After some backing up (a few inches) and engaging all three diff locks I managed, but it was pretty close and a snail would have been much faster than I was :(

Those Cooper STT´s aren´t that "good" for wet clay....

Later I drove into a similar spot, but that one was about twice as deep and I had to winch, after politly asking a dozer driver to pose as an anchor :)

But mostly I am happy that the rebuild center diff is working, as we discovered that it had disintegrated completely due to material failure, which is a different story..

20110513rk_PL05787_web800t.jpg

20110513rk_PL05794_web800t.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke