An expedition truck on portals...

Oilworker

Explorer
Thanx, Red

I did some research but the Standadyne FM-100 seemingly isn´t available in Europe.
Any recommendations for buying a few on your side of the pond?

Thanx,

Robert

tacr2man

Adventurer
A trick used about 40 years back was put one gallon of petrol to 6 gallon of diesel, didnt seem to have any detrimental effect on my old 2 1/4 109 .

Oilworker

Explorer
Thanx, Red!

I have just got off the phone with Stanadyne (www.stanadyne.de) and it´s all rather simple as I just saw from the drawings I received.
The new common rail Defender already has a Stanadyne filter installed (WJI 500040) and it´s pretty straight forward to install a top-load 12V diesel heater into this existing system.

I guess mine should arrive on Thursday and I will document the installation process.

They also have a system with a heated pre-filter, which definitly makes a lot of sense, but is a weeh bit more expensive.

In-line heaters are available, too, just in case there´s nothing that would fit your truck.

So long,

Robert

Oilworker

Explorer
A trick used about 40 years back was put one gallon of petrol to 6 gallon of diesel, didnt seem to have any detrimental effect on my old 2 1/4 109 .

That is a trick better not tried on modern engines! It should work fine on a 300Tdi but from a TD5 onward I wouldn´t do it!

eco 45

Supporting Sponsor
You could also put a Hotfox in your diesel tank: http://www.arctic-fox.com/sitepages/pid13.php

Guys that are running SVO or WVO year round have a heated fuel tank and fuel lines running up to the injection pump---some of which are electric and other supply heat from the coolant. I have seen in one case where a guy had a heated fuel filter, however the fuel in his tank was beginning to gel. He could drive a short distance and the gel fuel would then plug his tank feed allowing him to only travel at 5mph. If he stopped and turned the truck off the gelled fuel would float away from the pickup tube and he could drive normal for a few more miles.

Oilworker

Explorer
Nice! Will have to check if they have anything that´ll fit the Defender´s tank, but have already found one unit for the fuel cell on my tray....

Red90

Adventurer
The filter heater is all you need until it gets "bad". If it is "bad" the whole trucking industry is shut down so that would not be very normal. When gelling starts, you get crystals in the fuel that get stuck at the filter.

bobDog

Expedition Leader
I totally forgot about that....works like a charm....we all did that when I lived in Colorado.....you could add gasoline to gelled Diesel and if you had a way to stir it a bit.....off you went if your battery held up:wings:

The Rover Shop

Explorer
The company he mentions now goes to another company called rover portals or something similar..I have sent him an email as I will be over there soon and I would like to install portal axles on my camel trophy 110.. I will post what happens or keep an eye on my thread on my build...

Oilworker

Explorer
Those are Unimog 404 axles.
It´s surely a way to go but nothing that´ll make you happy in everyday driving.
The axles are pretty heavy, to start with, and were neither developed nor build for the speeds of a regular car. This is an issue you may encounter with Volvo axles, too.
Other than that, the Unimog axles may be known as unbreakable, but there are a few weak points and these may be addressed every 3-5000 miles.

I am not promoting any axles or portal conversions, but it was for a reason that Mal Storey developed bolt-on portal drop boxes and it´s a concept that´s been proven for more than 10 years on a variety of cars, which are road legal with their conversions, too!

So long & greetings from the road!

pairospam

Observer
Robert:

Just got into this thread. Congratulations for your amazing dedication to your passion! Your Land Rover is quiet impressive.

May I ask you who is the maker of the CTIS wheel rotary valves?

Pairoa

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles