An expedition truck on portals...

Oilworker

Explorer
As somewhere further up the thread there has been a request for calendars, hasn´t there?
With shipping the major problem I have given it some thought and came up with this plan: "Calendar on Demand".

2013-01_Monthly_Calendar_Sheet_web1200t.jpg

http://rallyewerk.photoshelter.com/gallery/01-2013/G0000bxUXvL7Ym.g/C0000SybH_1KdEP0

I will prepare a selection of at least 20 images and soon different calendar formats, too, for every month.
I will publish the next months images around the 15th of the current month.

Like this you can create your own calendar only having to print the sheets in the size you´d´like them yourself.

What do you think of this?

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Yes, Jeremy, foremost all parts of the car have to be road legal.
I know Stazworkz but these wheels aren't legal in Europe and could get me into trouble with a picky, underpaid police officer in Russia.
Too many custom solutions, especially important stuff like suspension or wheels can become a major problem, too, when they fail and you need replacement.

Hey I am just curious about this. Wouldn't whatever it is, wheels, suspension lift, axles, ect need to only be legal in your country or the country the vehicle is registered in? Or does it have to comply with say Russian road laws/safety if traveling through that country?

In the USA yes DOT is the standard for things like wheels & tires. However, it depends on your area if this would be enforced. Where I live not a problem at all to run non-DOT wheels/tires. I am running some Walker Evans beadlocks and it is not an issue locally. I got a friend running some Stazworks and no issues for him too and he is in the next state over from me. I do know though that if in a place, say Portland where it is enforced you could get a ticket for it if traveling there. I also know if the cop is reasonable you can get out of the ticket often by explaining it is legal in your state and you are traveling.

Over here to go into another country it really is not an issue. Canada or Latin America. But Europe I know nothing about. So I am curious. :)

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
The rear is almost done, but I had to stop as they where closing the shop.

You should be happy with the results. I sipped a set of Maxxis Creepies that were scary on snow/ice. After sipping they performed at least 5x better. I found a tire siper on Ebay for under $100. Lot's of them on there ranging from cheap to expensive.

Or you siping for a different reason than snow/ice traction?

Cheers

Oilworker

Explorer
Where is the 7" comparison going on? I haven´t seen it yet.

Regarding DOT or legality of your truck it´s almost the same in Europe.
You definitely need to get your whole car/truck through MOT or TUEV which is like a government scrutineering and in some places even tougher than the FIA.
Everything on your truck needs to be approved by law, tested by MOT/TUEV approved facilities, etc.

That´s what is rather time consuming with my project, too, though sofar every bit is road legal and approved.

Across Europe every state has their own set of regulations and it´s getting stricter every 6 months.
In some places it´s already a miracle if you manage to fit 35" tires on a car that´s intended to have 33".
In Austria it´s almost impossible to legalize a roll-cage and don´t even think about going to their MOT with a full-external!

When you travel around Europe or Russia it may not be required to have everything on your car legal in the country that you´re traveling to, but it helps if you get pulled over by the police. The less they can find on your truck the less you have to pay.

For me it´s also important that I have some sort of test done with for example the wheels.
There sure are great wheels out there that will be fine to ride around with but they can break under excessive loads.

I still owe you guys a picture of my shattered Hutchinson which still works fine. A crash like I did back then would most likely have broken most other wheels.

Now to the siping.
I am trying it the first time and it´s a test to see how the Cooper STT behave on snow and ice afterwards.
There was no snow where I was until now, so I can´t tell you if there´s been any improvement.

So long,

Robert

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Where is the 7" comparison going on? I haven´t seen it yet.

Nor me, but now my curiosity is going to make me look for it...

We siped the BFG KM2 tires for the E7 trucks before driving them to the Arctic last year, it made a very noticeable difference on the ice-roads.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Pics of Hutchinson HQ Robert! :)
And have you decided on which Hutchinson's you're going with?

Michele

Observer
Last weekend I also finally started siping my tyres.
It was pretty tough to find someone who has a siping tool and it took a while until I got it right.

20130107_RK_00768_web1200t.jpg

The rear is almost done, but I had to stop as they where closing the shop.

You're doing it wrong Robert, that way your back will hate you :p

Next time drive the beast here and I'll sipe them for you :beer:

Talk soon,
M :)

Oilworker

Explorer
Michele, you´re always welcome. I still have to sipe the front tyres ;-)

Today I fitted the new headlights and tried not to loose the rusty bits of my old rings....

20130121_RK_00853_web1200t.jpg

...sadly the retaining clips to fix the headlight to the ring, which I now have made from stainless steel, arn´t available in stainless steel and the crapy crapy metal replacement from LR cost almost $15,-

Thus I salvaged the old, rusty ones and will make a set of new clips tomorrow.

20130121_RK_00855_web1200t.jpg

20130121_RK_00858_web1200t.jpg

Now it only needs to turn really dark outside and off I go for a little light comparison.

Oilworker

Explorer
I just shot a few images outside.
I will take the comparison shots in the coming days as I will properly line the lights up and swap them then.

20130121_RK_00870_web1200t.jpg

20130121_RK_00871_web1200t.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles