An expedition truck on portals...

Michele

Observer
Nice shots (well battered ARB bar!) and nice lights.
I'm not completely sold on the look of this kind of new units on the market,
maybe just because the Cube is getting old and they would be be too "modern" compared to the rest of the truck,
but I look forward to seeing the comparison :) and the results...

As to the front tires, are you on the way to these shores?
:D

Oilworker

Explorer
Nope, not heading to Italy anytime soon, Michele. Sorry.

The ARB is in it´s third life now, after crashing through a house (at the bottom of a fully iced mountain road) in 2005.
Then there was a buck on the road in Romania, an improvised road block in Afghanistan, a few minor obstacles and last the wall in West Sahara preventing me from sky falling into the valley below....

I am no friend of LED headlights, but somehow I liked these when I first saw them and the light they emit is really great.

Michele

Observer
LOL!

Yup I know, I was kidding :)
But we'll meet again in Germany as soon as possible...a couple of months or less maybe.

Lights seem cool!

Oilworker

Explorer
Back from the cold and I guess I managed to get all comparison shots for the lights tonight.
Shot a little video, too, which is just uploading.

20130123_RK_00955_comparison_web1200t.jpg

20130123_RK_00924_Comparison_web1200.jpg

The driver´s perspective...
20130123_RK_00919_Comparison-Driver_Perspective_web1200t.jpg

...and a head-on shot, with was taken from the second marker from the left (s. sketch below) at a camera hight of approx. 3ft.
20130123_RK_00932_Head-On_Comparison_web1200t.jpg

This is how I set up my markers (illuminated by my 40" Rigid Industries light bar)...
20130123_RK_00949_web1200t.jpg

...the position I had the camera in for the driver´s perspective...
20130123_RK_FT330862_Camera_Position.jpg

...and a basic sketch showing the layout and distances
20130122_Marker_Positions_web1000.jpg

Changing the lights took me about 4.5 minutes.

Done! More images tomorrow...
20130123_RK_00960_web1200t.jpg

Last edited:

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Oil, those comparison shots were at the exact same white balance in Kelvin, what was the number?

Oilworker

Explorer
If I am not mistaken I set the white balance to 5000K.
I can check tomorrow afternoon when I pick up that body again as it needed a sensor cleaning before this weekend´s job.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Look at that cutoff pattern with the LED's, and so much easier on the eyes from the driver's perspective.
Great comparison!

Oilworker

Explorer
Hi Jeremy,
The lights are really nice. Shouldn´t they also fit the G-wagon? You also have 7" head lights don´t you?

On the other stuff I am only making slow progress. Sofar no new wheels in sight, except for a very nice non-beadlock wheel made by TSS.
I am closing in on the new gearbox and am still working out everything for the new engine.

So long,

Robert

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Hi Jeremy,
The lights are really nice. Shouldn´t they also fit the G-wagon? You also have 7" head lights don´t you?

On the other stuff I am only making slow progress. Sofar no new wheels in sight, except for a very nice non-beadlock wheel made by TSS.
I am closing in on the new gearbox and am still working out everything for the new engine.

So long,

Robert

Yes sir Robert, as did my '76 Rabbit and all my other Mk1's. :)
Question for the G would be if these can fit into the correct buckets to mount them. I do have the PIAA Night Tech bulbs in my H4's(ROW e-codes) and they're actually pretty darn bright.
Quite a bit of prism'ing with the Nolden's(is that "normal"?)...how much do the Nolden's go for? They are damn bright.

Whatever happened with the Hutchinson's for Toyota? Any reason you're not getting them?

Oilworker

Explorer
My "decision making process" is sometimes a bit "longer".
Not the like the military but still it may take some time if I am not a 100% convinced, which is the case with the Toyota wheels.

I do admit I let it slip a bit the past 2 weeks, too, as I was after detailed information of the new engine and gearbox.
Before I go down that road I want to be sure about the costs and there is a hilarious price span even between official car dealer when asked to quote on the engine, gearbox and auxiliaries.

I will check with the local Mercedes dealer Monday and have a look the G lights.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
One issue I might have with the Nolden's is that the Mercedes is super finicky with changes in voltage...I don't know how replacing the halogen headlights with LED's would affect this. Although I already have "2 Malfunctions" in my cluster every time I turn on my lights since I am running euro-style with no front/rear US side marker lights.

Oilworker

Explorer
:elkgrin: I "love" these modern cars with all their gadgets and sensors.

With the new engine many of the original wiring will go, too.

The major problem today is that too many single departments develop stuff that looks great on the computer, seemingly performs flawless in the test latin stand alone tests, and then, when all comes together in the car, which is never properly tested until it´s introduced to the market (as there is less and less time today) the problems start.
Interference from in-vehicle units when turned on at the same time, or when affected by external interference, e.g. radio and microwave signals, CCTV signals, electrical fields generated by power lines, etc.

Standing at a Land Rover dealership lately to have a look at the new Range Rover and chat about the new Defender, the sales guy said to me "Look at these really great cars. They are awesome and I really like to sell them, but in 3 or 4 years, when a customer shows up wanting to trade it in, who in his right mind would by them back? There´s too much sensitive electronics in these cars and the cause or origin of most of the faults that occur will never be found, which is why you then have to exchange whole units (if you´re lucky)."

nickt

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0009
Stainless Steel Headlamp Surrounds

Great headlamp comparison. I upgraded my 90 with a complete set of JW Speaker LED lamps, including the headlamps - I have the model 8700 PAR56 (PDF link) and couldn't be more happy with the result. Actually you'll see the only non-LED lights I have are the Hella Comet 550's which I keep for that old Camel Trophy look...

2012-09-30 18.08.29.jpg

While I was doing the upgrade, I tracked down some stainless steel headlamp surrounds - a direct replacement for Land Rover part PRC7992.

sshls.jpg

They are available from UK supplier Mobile Centre, who stock an awful lot of bank account destroying upgrades...

Interestingly, a Land Rover PRC7992 retails for around £20, and you can pickup a pair of the stainless steel ones for £22.

Finally, Robert and everyone else - thanks for a great thread.

Nick.

Oilworker

Explorer
Quick question from "off topic" (I may in my own thread?)

I was planning to fly over to cover the KoH, but need to reschedule due to another job here.
Now, as I am the last to arrive, where do I fly to? LAX or Las Vegas?
Its about the same distance to Hammertown.
I would also need an advice regarding inexpensive car rental as it´s ages since I rented a car in the states.
I am now planning to fly in on Tuesday and stay until the following week.

Thanx,

Robert

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles