An expedition truck on portals...

Oilworker

Explorer
Friday I started out at RM 44 and got some great wide-angle shots some of them with helicopter in the back.

20130208_RK_09126_web1200t-2_helo.jpg

Then I went to Chocolate Thunder and stayed there the rest of the day.

20130209_RK_09327_cut1200t.jpg

Thanks again to Chris for offering me a ride those days ;-)

About new ideas?! Well, most important is I found my new Hutchinson double beedlock wheels. They are 8.5x17", have the right offset and back-spacing and exceed my load capacity criteria by almost a 1000lbs (!)

Hutchinson_8.5x17_Project_Rhino.jpg

WA-1785 
Hutchinson Specification Sheet
Rim Size 17X8.5 in [431.8X215.9 mm
Rim Contour TRA - J (ISO)
Offset 2.125 in [54.0 mm]
Mounting Pattern: 8 Holes on 6.5 in [165.1 mm] B.C.D.
Hub Bore: 4.814 in [122.3 mm]
Load Rating 4200 lb @ 65 psi [1905.1 kg @ 4.48 bar]
Weight 40.9 lb [18.6 kg]
Material: Aluminum - Forged
Balance Type: None
Tire Size: 37X12.5R17

Other than that I got some better understanding of rear axle suspension/long trailing arms, which is something I had been thinking about for a while.

Very neet cockpit configurations and a really nice solution to fit both radiator and intercooler to the back.

As soon as I have done the first stories this week I will go through my list of things.

I was also amazed by the great amount of equipment that we don't even know about in Europe.

Last edited:

psykokid

Explorer
Ahh, i started the day out near Backdoor and then after the majority of the field made its way through we moved over to the entrance of Wrecking Ball and camped out there till the leaders came through on their third lap. After that we made our way back down to Hamertown and hung out till the first 3 finishers came across the podium. At that point we went back to camp out on the lakebed and started a fire to drive off the chill. I hung out with the Gigglepin guys on Saturday morning as they fixed their rear end and then headed out about noon..

Oilworker

Explorer
Hello from the road.

I was out shooting a feature for the german OFF ROAD and used the chance to snap a few shots of my truck, before I start the rebuild and further work next week....

20130214_RK_03537_web1200t.jpg

20130214_RK_04134_web1200t.jpg

I have also added a few images to my posts of the past week, including the Hutchinson WA-1785 wheel.

Furthermore, I understand that Jim Marsden is finally catching up with all the work he put aside while racing all over the world, which hopefully means that my waiting for the new rear winch is finally coming to an end.
I first saw the prototype GP90 winch 4 years ago when I first presented my Defender Project at the LRO Show in Billing (UK).
Jim has done a fare amount of testing and development on this winch and I can´t´wait to pick it up and test it…

Gigglepin_GP_90_Winch.jpg

So long,

Robert

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Friday I started out at RM 44 and got some great wide-angle shots some of them with helicopter in the back.

20130208_RK_09126_web1200t-2_helo.jpg

Then I went to Chocolate Thunder and stayed there the rest of the day.

20130209_RK_09327_cut1200t.jpg

Thanks again to Chris for offering me a ride those days ;-)

About new ideas?! Well, most important is I found my new Hutchinson double beedlock wheels. They are 8.5x17", have the right offset and back-spacing and exceed my load capacity criteria by almost a 1000lbs (!)

Hutchinson_8.5x17_Project_Rhino.jpg

Other than that I got some better understanding of rear axle suspension/long trailing arms, which is something I had been thinking about for a while.

Very neet cockpit configurations and a really nice solution to fit both radiator and intercooler to the back.

As soon as I have done the first stories this week I will go through my list of things.

I was also amazed by the great amount of equipment that we don't even know about in Europe.

Two amazing shots Robert, especially the 2nd one. That look is priceless!!

The Hutchinson's are going to look perfect on your Rover. What application are they from? Message me if you'd rather...

Oilworker

Explorer
Pretty close and it´s definitely a new wheel....

Hutchinson_WA-1785_000001_web800t.jpg

If anyone wants them, too we may go for a bulk order?

I started cleaning and stripping the truck today and will spend most of next week running wires throughout the car.
A good friend of mine made a wiring diagram for all my planned equipment and I am hope I get it all right ;-)

d67u57

Adventurer
the pic in post 785?

if you got a film to go with it? hollywoods got nothing on you man!

keep up the good work.

Oilworker

Explorer
Thanks!!!!

At the moment I am still just collecting bits and pieces, drawing things and comission the prototypes, as I am too busy travelling and taking images for my agency and magazines.

The engine side is coming together slowly and as soon as the new wheels arrive I will commence with the brakes modifications to the front and rear axle, too.

Currently I am sourcing for new batteries and still run wiring for the gear and accessories which will be added in the coming months.

Mid March I will fit the new additional braces for the Safety Devices roll cage and the fuel cell on the tray.

I can't wait to actually get going in the workshop again ;-)

...and Wednesday I will have the car at the Geneva Autosalon....

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
One issue I might have with the Nolden's is that the Mercedes is super finicky with changes in voltage...I don't know how replacing the halogen headlights with LED's would affect this. Although I already have "2 Malfunctions" in my cluster every time I turn on my lights since I am running euro-style with no front/rear US side marker lights.

Update on this, in speaking with Nolden, they have not had any issues with error messages coming on in the G's cluster.
I'm working with them on G-Wagen fitment/feedback, looks like they can send a set later this month.

Oilworker

Explorer
Sounds good!
I am just back from a computer conversation with my Defender. It´s always amazing what the software of a modern car requires to run properly :-(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke