An expedition truck on portals...

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Thanks Mog9,

Basically it is not as simple as taking the wheel off, bolt this thing on, then bolt the wheel back on? That is basically the answer I was looking for.

It will certainly be a while before I could try to buy a set of these, but I have been intrested in the idea for a long time.

I have even thought about putting mog axles on my CJ-7, but there is SO much work to get that to work, it just does not seem worth it.

These portals certainly seem more worth it. I really like that I would be able to use the stock axles, thus not changing the road manors other than rasing the COG.

AxleTech

Guys,
There are bolt on portals available for Dana 60 and GM 14 bolt axles from AIM Motorsports. The product has been shown at SEMA for the last 2 years.

Take a look at http://www.motorsports.axletech.com. These run $6,495 USD for a complete vehicle setup of 4 whel steer. If you have any questions, I can be reached via the CONTACT US button on the site. Have a great day!

haven

Expedition Leader
Also see Axletech portals on the "ImMortal" show truck built for the Easter Jeep Safari. I think the portals are connected to Dana 60 axles. Some Axletech products will appear in the Mopar Performance catalog later this year.

mopar-immortal.jpg

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
Fascinating post.

Questions

How did you get TUV approval?

How much more is the unsprung weight?

What king of overlanding do you do to justify - do you run support for the Vepski or Ladoga; or follwo the Trans Siberia all the way to the end?

Oilworker

Explorer
I followed the Transsyberia 2007 all the way to the end in Ulaanbataar and drove back to Germany in 8 days....

I want to drive up into the Wakhan Corridor in Afghanistan and I want to cross the pass at the end of the Panjer Pass. I have been to both places in 2002 and again in 2006 and guess I should get through the rough part now.

Other than that I have a few other nice trips in mind, like a crossing of the Ural mountain range north of the poalr circle and then driving down the east side.....

But for now I need to get the car back together for a show in June.

We have changed the transer-case to a Ashcroft 1.1.003, got a nice reprogramming of the ECU by ALLISPORT and also a new, very large, intercooler....

More pictures and also a few videos soon...

So long,

Robert

Oilworker

Explorer
Stage 1 of my project is completed. After another day at www.killeraxles.com I am now taking the Rhino for a 2000mls test drive, on and off-road....

4488160.jpg

4488666.jpg

This weekend the Rhino will be on display at the "Abenteuer Allrad" exhibition in Bad Kissingen, Germany, too.

Oilworker

Explorer
Done! :wings::wings:

4490270.jpg

In the foreground another proto: fully sealed and waterproofed winch with a 80m (250ft) rope capacity :wings:

Oilworker

Explorer
Wider drum! I will have some images tomorrow.

For now just a few images of my Rhino on Portals on the LR track...

4515906.jpg

4515908.jpg

4515909.jpg

Lynn

Expedition Leader
I love the pix, but I'll bet seeing this rig in person would still drop my jaw. I think it would have to be seen up-close and personal to really get the impact.

When we lived in Turkey I saw a 'Hummog.' I think it was a kit car kind of thing that put a Hummer H1 type body on Unimog running gear. Anyway, I remember seeing all that space underneath and thinking, 'Dang!'

Seeing your rig in person would probably elicit the same response, even after seeing the pix.

And I'll bet that LR offroad course was a walk in the park with your rig, huh?

How many total miles do you have on the portals now?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94