An expedition truck on portals...

Oilworker

Explorer
Man this fills my head full of ideas. I would love to keep my Rover axles and just "add" to them. I have no reason to go over 35" tires. That would be an upgrade for me as is. I will be following this.

Also, is there an english website or should I find the online translator?

For now there sadly isn´t but there will be soon I guess.
The lads are just working so hard on the portals and their new winches that there ain´t no time left for websites if you want to keep some family life.

Shoot them an email with your questions though, they speak fluent english and always take a lot of time to answer and help.

Last edited:

Oilworker

Explorer
How to get portals on my Jeeps of course!

:)

Just got this image for you, it shows the assembly to fit the drop box to a Jeep
3668292.jpg

So long,

Robert

Last edited:

revor

Explorer
I like how the guys have made the mounting surface large enough to fit a variety of different applications! Smart..

I'm saving my $$$'s

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Slightly unrelated but expo worthy, there was a AEV Brute owner on here that had a red one with portals. I don't remember his name but portals make sense if you know the terrain you are heading for. There was also a crawler built some years ago running toyota/ mog portal hybrids ohhhh the lust (sorry for hijack the BlueMoon is talking).

Aaron

Oilworker

Explorer
The other smart thing is:

3671307.jpg

3671308.jpg

The same drop box for the LR Defender but with the lower flange with the H1 bolt pattern.
Like that you can not only have 2 sets of tyres for different applications but mount them on different rims, too :wings:
Why? Well, e.g. I like the H1 rims with the runflat ring and will probably use these with larger tyres for another tour.....but we´ll see....

More pictures are in the making :ylsmoke:

Oilworker

Explorer
Slightly unrelated but expo worthy, there was a AEV Brute owner on here that had a red one with portals. I don't remember his name but portals make sense if you know the terrain you are heading for. There was also a crawler built some years ago running toyota/ mog portal hybrids ohhhh the lust (sorry for hijack the BlueMoon is talking).

Aaron

Portals make a lot of sense in many ways.
You really get some space below your diff and underbody without cutting half your chassi to mount 44" tyres and you reduce the stress on your whole drivetrain by more than 50%.
No more change of castor angles, no more wide angle drive shafts, etc....

And if they drive as well as I hope they do, I will have to do a lot more roaming around this planet :wings::smiley_drive:

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Portals make a lot of sense in many ways.
You really get some space below your diff and underbody without cutting half your chassi to mount 44" tyres and you reduce the stress on your whole drivetrain by more than 50%.
No more change of castor angles, no more wide angle drive shafts, etc....

And if they drive as well as I hope they do, I will have to do a lot more roaming around this planet :wings::smiley_drive:

You should be golden, every vehicle I can think of that runs them... all of two the Mog and the H1 can go just about anywhere. The idea has been around for some time and is very smart. The fact no cutting on suspension modding is necessary is a benefit in itself. What does your current rig look like? I think I know but not sure if your the same member or not.

Aaron

Oilworker

Explorer
Well, my "old" one looks like this:
3671462.jpg

...the "current" is this FC101GS that I found here on the island an am currently fixing to get it back on the road...
3671463.jpg

...and the 130CC will be shown whenever I either find a picture or have it on the portals and have stopped looking at it :)

Oh and LandyAndy, drop the Tibus family a line and ask them for a quote and don´t worry about being seated :elkgrin:

And , it´s not about going anywhere, it´s about going there and making it back home again, too...

Yorker

Adventurer
Umm...... :drool:

I looked at building some portal boxes a few years ago. With not having access to casting (cheaply) I was going to make the cases out of laminated laser cut steel plates.

Cheers,
Andy

Have you seen the home made portals that Bill/Daddylonglegs/agrover/Bill Van Snorkle has made in Australia using Series t-case gears? I think he had a thread with pics of them on Pirate or the Outer limits...

few of his posts:
http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=50833

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=840928

http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/PHP_Modules/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18203&highlight=portal+axle

http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/PHP_Modules/phpBB2/ftopic40432.php&highlight=

I can't find the tread with his pics but maybe someone here like Revor or Red90 will remember where it was.

revor

Explorer
For the life of me I can't remember where Agrover's posts might be, it was a pretty neat setup. I've thought about making my own as well, having made a number of industrial reduction boxes on the fly.

Eight lug... It's so simple, no worries about wheel selection, being a vendor of Rover stuff I would be tempted to try and retain the 5X6.5" bolt pattern, anything can be made.

Oilworker

Explorer
I am getting a flange with the 5x6.5 pattern later, too, as I would like to use some of my old rims and am still trying to get set of Silverline Rims with the right offset for everyday use....
And with Tibus it´s great, you define and he builds it. :ylsmoke:

LandyAndy

Adventurer
Give John at Stazworks a call, he'll build you a set of double beadlocked rims with any width/offset combination and stud pattern you want. You could always forget about the Mog/Volvo setup and just go for 2.5T Rockwells :Wow1:

http://www.stazworks.com/

LandyAndy

Adventurer
For the life of me I can't remember where Agrover's posts might be, it was a pretty neat setup. I've thought about making my own as well, having made a number of industrial reduction boxes on the fly.

Eight lug... It's so simple, no worries about wheel selection, being a vendor of Rover stuff I would be tempted to try and retain the 5X6.5" bolt pattern, anything can be made.

It's on LR4x4 I believe but the pic's got lost a while ago. However, I happen to have a full set saved along with the text :)

As you say, anything can be made.... just cost to get castings or CNC machining for the housing is the killer for poor mans portals. I wonder if you can sweat & TIG weld a spur gear onto a 110HD CV outer, would just have to support the 'socket' end then for use as the lower output shaft assy or find a bearing that would fit the CV OD.

Using laminated, dowelled & TIG plates seems to be a good 'cheap' option, have found a local'ish company that waterjet cuts plate. On 0.5" thickness the accuracy is more than adequate for either leaving holes plain for bolts or just requiring final reaming for dowels. Bearing aperatures would need a clean up in the lathe but that's no biggie in a 4 jaw chuck for a machinist. Best part is you don't get the localised hardening as you do with laser cutting, makes post machining easier & cheaper.

This might be just the thing to go learn Solidworks with.

Ummmm..... ideas ?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles