Thread: An expedition truck on portals...

Threaded View

Default An expedition truck on portals...

Hi,

after 4 years of research and a few times getting really close to buying something existing, like modified Volvo C303 portals, and a year of design and prototyping work with the guys at Killeraxles, itīs almost done

All the work I had sofar done with Portal Tec had to be done again, as they sadly closed the shop before we could start building the G3 axles and the bolt-on portals which Iīd asked them to build for me.

We are currently fitting these new bolt-on portals to my expedition proven Defender axles (the one in my Avatar) and these will then be fitted under my 130CC which will later undergo some further modifications to become a safe and reliable truck for a few solo trips in the coming years.

You may ask yourself, why portals? Well, first of all, for the trips that I want to do, I need as much ground clearance as possible and want to stay with a reasonable and locally available tyre size. I will be driving 35" Cooper STTs for now.
    The stress on drivetrain and halfshafts is greatly reduced by the portalīs gearing. In our case itīs almost by 60%.
    The axles get wider by fitting the portals (add approx. 4" to each side) but by using wheels with a bigger offset the overall width of the Defender axles is only increased by about 2.5".
    Furthermore I wanted a tyre inflation system to control the tyre pressure. This system can be safely installed with portals.

Further modifications will be again a external rollcage, 2 fully waterproof winches (currently in development by the guys who build these drop boxes), underbody protection for the gearbox and rear, 2nd fuel tank on the tray and a new dashboard to take all the additional instruments, the notebook mounts and the navigation equipment.

I donīt want to have this in my Defender again...

By summer it should be fully done as the first trip will be in late summer.

So long,

Robert
    Last edited by Oilworker; 06-27-2013 at 11:43 AM.