An expedition truck on portals...

D

Deleted member 9101

Silly question, but why not the axles out of a H-1? They are not only portals, but independent suspension. Swapping "half shafts" is not that hard..and we rarely break them...and we beat on the poor trucks.

revor

Explorer
You could certainly build them into a different truck but in the end it might cost as much as a used H1 to do it..
Would be cool though.. Independent suspension is starting to come around.

Oilworker

Explorer
Silly question, but why not the axles out of a H-1? They are not only portals, but independent suspension. Swapping "half shafts" is not that hard..and we rarely break them...and we beat on the poor trucks.

Well, if you ever have a nice beaten H1 out there, that you don´t know where to leave, please drop me a line and I´ll come and pick it up!

Other than the fact that I once fell deeply in love with the battered H1 from a Marines Unit and would just love to own one, too, I could maybe pick up a set of "axles" to think about fitting under my 110, which now has no axles left...

So long,

Robert

07 Elephant

Adventurer
If you really wanted to post up a pic or two more :chowtime:

Perhaps some shots of the Rhino in full flex and stuff. Do you have access to ramps that some shops use to demontrate flex? Or some rocks?

D

Deleted member 9101

Well, if you ever have a nice beaten H1 out there, that you don´t know where to leave, please drop me a line and I´ll come and pick it up!

Other than the fact that I once fell deeply in love with the battered H1 from a Marines Unit and would just love to own one, too, I could maybe pick up a set of "axles" to think about fitting under my 110, which now has no axles left...

So long,

Robert

I would think somewhere on line you could get a battered one from the military...

Oilworker

Explorer
Over here we don´t use ramps, we drive over cars :wings::)

It´s not build for articulation show-off, but I´ll see what I can do for you.
With the Proflex shocks it´s more for lond distances on bad roads at high speeds ....

So long,

Robert

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Interesting about the portal tek...

Nothing on their site (that I have found) says anything about having to flip the axles... They claim that they are not at all like the volvo, or the mog for that matter. They claim that they are all new technology...

Oh well, not the point of this thread.

As for the Hummers H1, Oilworker, you can still buy the Army and Marine Corps HMMWVs, the military forces are not allowed to sell them anymore, but you can find them from when they still sold. There are a few guys around the US who have some. (various prices and conditions) If you only wanted the axles then I suspect that you could find one that is not running, or darn near trash, and pick it up for anywhere from 5K to 15K.

I have personally thought long and hard about picking up one. They are rotten to drive, and very loud on the roads, plus they do the military standard speeds of up to 55 MPH, which stinks. I may still buy one just the same, something to drive to work and such. Everyone would wonder how I ended up with one... hehe

mog9

Interesting about the portal tek...

Nothing on their site (that I have found) says anything about having to flip the axles...

I found this on their website:

These kits will work with many different axles such as the Dana™ 44, Dana™ 60, and Corporate 14™ style axles. **It will be necessary to flip the pinion upside down on these axles**. Installation will require a competent level of fabrication, welding, and automotive knowledge. Note that the gear reduction in portal boxes will essentially double the ring and pinion gear ratio.

Oilworker

Explorer
Sure, and they make really nice one´s too, but just for Nissan Patrols.

That´s a point that Tibus adresses, as his drop boxes, with different flanges, can be fitted on Land Rovers and Jeeps and probably on other rigs, too.

So long,

Robert

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Very interesting...

Thanks Mog9, I believed you none the less, but interesting still...

Oilworker, if I may ask...

Basically this was plug and play, yes? Pretty much you just had to bolt the things on, and then weld on the support brackets?

IE Is this something that you could do in an afternoon, or two, if you had the welding skills already, or is it something that takes a lot of effort? I just could not tell how much effort and time you had to put into the work.

Still grateful for the photos. I may well have to start saving for something like this. I think it would be a wonderful way to lift my unibody jeep.

thanks
Brian

mog9

Very interesting...

Thanks Mog9, I believed you none the less, but interesting still...

Oilworker, if I may ask...

Basically this was plug and play, yes? Pretty much you just had to bolt the things on, and then weld on the support brackets?

IE Is this something that you could do in an afternoon, or two, if you had the welding skills already, or is it something that takes a lot of effort? I just could not tell how much effort and time you had to put into the work.

Still grateful for the photos. I may well have to start saving for something like this. I think it would be a wonderful way to lift my unibody jeep.

thanks
Brian

The welding will take you about 1 or 2 hours. It is not a big deal.
The mounting of the portals could be done in 2 days or less. It always depends on your skills but there is nothing what coulndn´t be done by an mechanic with average skills.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles