An expedition truck on portals...

Oilworker

Explorer
...early summer 2016....

After a wonderful surprise with this birthday cake...

Birthday Cake 2016.jpg

...we hit the road to discover Sardinia.
A first shattering sound, just 60mls after leaving home, almost ended our trip, but miraculously, after a brief stop, the Rhino went on....until about 600 yards before the ferry :-(

Pushing onto ferry to Sardinia.jpg

...not how I expected to get on the ferry...

To make a long story short, we managed to discuss our way onto the ferry, towed by a russian courier driver, and then the next morning, limbed to the only Land Rover dealership on the island.
There we installed ourselves on the parking and dismantled the front axle and transfer case....finding both problems (broken CV and broken shift lever)....fixing both in time before kicked out the LR premises at 18:15h :D

Thus a wonderful vacation began....

20160627_RK_05664_web1600t.jpg

Outback

Explorer
Hey OILWORKER,
How do you like the portals now that have had them for a few years or so. Are they holding up pretty well. What kind of maintenance do you need to do to them? Thanks for your posts. Great thread!

Oilworker

Explorer
Originally, I used the original Frontrunner boxes which came with the tray.
They made me mad whenever I had to open them and their sizes is so unique that I could´t find any other box to easily replace them.
Now the modified tray holds 4 standard Zarges boxes which I can tie down separately, too.
The setup proved itself during our 2 weeks in Sardinia last summer and will be a little more fine tuned next month....

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Originally, I used the original Frontrunner boxes which came with the tray.
They made me mad whenever I had to open them and their sizes is so unique that I could´t find any other box to easily replace them.
Now the modified tray holds 4 standard Zarges boxes which I can tie down separately, too.
The setup proved itself during our 2 weeks in Sardinia last summer and will be a little more fine tuned next month....

Oh, the black plastic FR Wolf boxes?

Worshond

Hi Oilworker,

Good to hear from You again. That cake is a Winner. Had one made for my Dads 50th Birthday last year May as well. Hope to hear more from you in the next year. Maybe We can set up a meet. Regards, Worshond.

IMG_5897.JPG

rispony

I just stumbled upon this thread and it looked like an incredible trip!!! I know this may sound crazy, but I saw a photo you posted and am absolutely in love with it and am curious if you would mind sending me the original. Ideally, I would like to have it framed and hung in my garage! Attached is the photo for reference. Thanks!!! (PS I tried PMing you but your inbox is full)

03-photo-51.jpg

Oilworker

Explorer
Hi, that´s a wonderful find!
I will look it up when I am back in Europe next week and happily send it to you!
It was one of the toughest adventures I ever embarked on but it was also one of the most memorable I ever did.
It was great to do it together with my wonderful friend Erik Brandenburg (who build and raced this Porsche 911 Safari) while I trailered his car and all our spares to the start, ran T4 service and support for him all the way to the finish line at Lac Rose, Dakar, Senegal, and then I drove back, as the only competitor, to pick up the Porsche in Marseille and trailer it back to his place in Hamburg.

Interesting that you find this image now as I am in New York to promote my old plan of preparing my truck for the overland trip to the US in early 2018.
I decided to finally stop finding excuses to further delay it and actually get down, work hard on preparing the LR130CC-R(hino) and do this trip.

Thanks again to all of you who still follow this thread and my truck!

LRD130PUMA

Hi Robert,

Saw an article in one of the Land Rover magazines about you being involved or going to install a hybrid engine in the beast, any update about this, or some site where I can find some more info about this.
Take care and lots of fun in the US in the new year.

Marco.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles