DRZ400 expedition build for OVERLAND EXPO trip

nicomama

Nicole,

I am so tickled to see you here! I have enjoyed your recent postings over on ADV. Any chance you might be at the Overland Exposition in April?

REX

Rex,

I'm thrilled to be here. I have Oni to thank for letting me know about this thread and going to bat for me. As for the Overland Expo, I'm not planning on it as of now, but April is far enough away for anything to happen. I never say never.:bike_rider:

Chris,

I look forward to your rack install photo journal. I'm adding waterproof Ortleib soft saddlebags for my next 5 dayer of the Central California Coast in the middle of Feb. I will also have my skid plate prototype on it by then, too.:wings:

My Best,
Nicole

mcgovski

Adventurer
Nicole-
I look forward to seeing the skid plate. I am not to sure i am going to like the one i got, but it was the right price and way better than stock.
I have the Ortleib soft bags on my KTM...they are awesome! they attach to touratech racks.
If you feel like heading further up the coast on your feb trip, we are just up the road in the foothills!

Cheers

Chris

Last edited:

mcgovski

Adventurer
some parts showed up!

Alright! some parts showed up, now i just need some time to get this stuff on the bike. I have to do the 3x3 mod to the airbox before I install the JD jetting kit. But the MSR skid plate should go on no problem. I was a little bummed to find out that this skid plate is made by someone else and rebaged by about 10 different company's...and of course MSR was the highest price on any of them. Damn, oh well. Its way better than stock!

pics of the install to come. Plus, I will put some pics of the new bars, risers, grips

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_3347.jpg
    IMG_3347.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 50

rynosurf

Adventurer
Rynosurf-
i will look a the ims pegs and moose skid...
By airbox thread are you referring to the 3x3 mod? I forgot about that, I need to do that as well...and the emissions stuff is coming off, I was just at TT looking for a thread on how to remove all that stuff. I need to do the clutch and kick stand switch too.

this is great, keep it coming
Thanks!

Chris
Yes, the 3x3 is the one. Also look into these guys if you still need a stabilizer. http://gprstabilizer.com/about They are made in CA and from what I have heard they have great customer service.

mcgovski

Adventurer
I just spied that link and I dont see one for the DRZ400...I will call them and see if there is one for this bike. seems like a good idea.

Oni

Adventurer
Scott's Performance is also in CA:

http://www.scottsperformance.com/St...Make=Suzuki&Model=DRZ&Size=400&Add_On= street

Small shop, nice folks. Usually stop in a few times a month for magazines, oil and gear.

Most of my friends use the Scott's, I have a GPR on my XR (came with it) and an Emig on my X (got a great deal). I think all 3 units I mentioned are very well made. Scott's has the most adjustability though.

They will spend the time on the phone with you to get you set up. I have heard them many times coaching people on installation or troubleshooting or making adjustments.

The GPR and my version of the Emig damper, damp in both directions, away from center (bars pointed straight) and return to center...the Scott's damps away from center with no damping on return to center. Hope that makes sense. I got used to the GPR style from my XR so got the same style with the Emig just so both would be similar. Think it's just personal preference. I would have put a Scott's on my X if they had a kit when I was looking.

After you ride with one, you will want one for every bike in the stable!

Last edited:

mcgovski

Adventurer
foot pegs arrived

okay, progress! foot pegs came too, so i have some work to do now before the next round.
so, I have to do the 3x3 mod, the jd jetting kit, skid plate install and new pegs.

I dont know if you can tell from the pic, but the platform of the pegs are convex...i think those will be nice!

after this round of stuff is done...IMS 4 gallon tank and I will be pulling all the emissions stuff off.

any thoughts on a way to get a larger amount of available electrical power?

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_3359.jpg
    IMG_3359.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3360.jpg
    IMG_3360.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 39

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Let me know what you end up going with for the seat.

I've heard mixed reviews about the Aftermarket DRZ seats over on ADVrider, but one thing is for certain, the stock seat is about as good as a 4x4 piece of wood for long distances

I recently rode from San Diego to Vegas to cover the EnduroCross event on my DRZSM, and I was getting strange looks the whole way while I was passing people standing up.

Let me know how easy or hard the install is on the gas tank, that is my next purchase because the stock tank leaves me driving from gast station to gas station on long trips

Hopefully we'll get to see the bike in person at the EXPO!!

mcgovski

Adventurer
Every Miles A Memory
The bike and its pilot will be at EXPO for sure!
I dont think we are going to buy a corbin or renco(sp?) they are a lot of money. my wife still has not complained about the stock saddle, maybe its because she is used to a very small, hard racing saddle on her mtb... I was looking at the SDG saddle, the make an affordable saddle for the DRZ.

Tank install will be in the next week or two...skid plate will be tomorrow, jetting and airbox will be tuesday...in a perfect world

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
She hasnt complained about it yet??? She must have an Iron Butt!!

I know this is a crappy photo, but a reader of our blogs heard me complaining of my stock seat after every ride and sent me this seat pad. It's just a cheap $15 ATV gel pad from Wal-Mart, but honestly it does help out tremdously

775954764_U774V-L.jpg

It just clips on with quick release buckles and if you're camping, you could take it off and use it as a seat pad while sitting around the campfire at night

Might want to give it a try. I know it's made long rides tolerable without dropping the $400 on a Corbin

You are definitely going in the right direction with this build. The DRZ is an exceptionally great platform.

I'm liking the looks of the new wolfman expedition dry saddlebags.
Exp_Dry_Saddle_Blk.jpg

Wolf_Side_Rack.jpg

And the rack looks like a winner too!

The bags might be a great replacement for my chewed up DirtBagz (recent trip to Mexico was bad for my bagz).....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior