DRZ400 expedition build for OVERLAND EXPO trip

mr_ed

Toolbag
X2 on the wal-mart seat pad. $17 is all it cost and I've put 15,000 miles on my Wee in the last 10 months, with no real discomfort, even on 800+ mile days.

Not sure how much it'll help with a narrower seat like the DRZ's, but Every Miles A Memory said it helped him, and at that price it's hard not to give it a shot.

Ed

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
OK, I can't resist, I have to post my old DRZ . . .
drz3.JPG

Props to your wife if she can handle that seat. Everybody is different so maybe she'll be fine. But I've ridden road and mtn bikes for over 25 years (competitively at one point) and I thought the DRZ seat was a torture device. And I'm not that big. The SDG and Suzuki Gel seats aren't much of an improvement from what I've read. If you want a cheaper (and quicker) alternative to Corbin, Renazco, et al., you may want to look at www.greatdaytoride.com. I've heard good things about him, he's dirt cheap, and his turn around time is pretty quick. But unlike Renazco and Corbin, he just mods the type of padding used and does not significantly reshape the seat. I think it's the seat shape more than anything that effects the comfort on a DRZ seat. Corbin and Renazco widen and flatten the stock seat to give more of a seating area (as well as doing different foam.)

mcgovski

Adventurer
great info, and nice looking bikes.
I hope to get some work done this weekend with pics.

thanks for all the feedback

Chris

UHAULER

Explorer
GUTSRACING makes some nice seats. I've used them on my KTM's for years. The competition cover is by far the most durable out there IMO. They make a comfort seat for the KTM's but I don't see one for the DRZ, maybe it's because KTM seats are torture devices to begin with:Wow1:

They are also fairly local to you in Diamond springs.

http://www.gutsracing.com/pages/suzukimain.html

Check out Airhawk seat cushions. They are, in my opinion the ONLY way to go for long distance on narrow, firm seats! I've used the walmart atv cover, sheep skin, and gel pads. I havent used the sweet cheeks bit...

9031_541374978661_62002887_31875008_741219_n.jpg

Whatever you do, cover up your straps!
9031_541375198221_62002887_31875051_5516297_n.jpg

My asswascompletely CHAPPED from a full day of riding with the strap over the seat like that... and riding on terrain like this... and WORSE
9031_541375213191_62002887_31875054_8035245_n.jpg

9031_541371690251_62002887_31874847_2879658_n.jpg

Last edited:

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
The tank is an IMS.
IMG_3019.jpg

Just to clarify, that is the IMS 3.2 gallon tank right? Mine, above, has the 4 gallon tank. Does the smaller one work on all models (E/S/SM)? I assume yours was an E (just a guess based upon the aftermarket lights).

justduck

Observer
Just to clarify, that is the IMS 3.2 gallon tank right? Mine, above, has the 4 gallon tank. Does the smaller one work on all models (E/S/SM)? I assume yours was an E (just a guess based upon the aftermarket lights).

Yes it's the 3.2. I'm not sure, but I think that the tanks for the E and S are not interchangeable. I can pretty much count on 180 miles. If it's farther than that between gas stops I carry a gas can that's about the size of a large notebook and about 1.5" thick that holds a little over a gallon and fits in my backpack.

Although I've added an inch of so padding to the seat 300 miles is about as far as I want to ride it in a day. The biggest problem is finding 92 octane in rural areas. Many of the small stations have regular and diesel only.

robert

Expedition Leader
The S and E models use different tanks. I seem to recall a guy on AdventureRider.com modding his tank to work on the other with a little work though (can't remember which way he went though S->E or E->S). I think it has to do with the linkage hitting the tank.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
Not all tanks differentiate. I think the main difference in the fan. The E model either doesn't have a fan or it is different. The fan on S models causes clearance issues with some tanks. I have heard of people removing/relocating their fan to allow for an E tank on an S. I think it might have been the Acerbis tank as I don't think they have an S model tank, but not at all sure.

mcgovski

Adventurer
Sorry for the lack of updates...I went skiing Friday, Saturday and Sunday...so no work done. but i do have pics of the foot peg swap!!!

Attachments

• alpenglow 016.jpg
    alpenglow 016.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 52
  • alpenglow 018.jpg
    alpenglow 018.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 61

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior