DRZ400 expedition build for OVERLAND EXPO trip

mcgovski

Adventurer
I am thinking with that new tank with a ktm 640 front fairing would sure look sweet on this bike........
Just drilled out the exhaust with 1 3/8" hole saw, sounds better and the power feels a bit better in the mid range....

Last edited:
Lagging on the posts!!! How about an update. I think when you are done with the DR you should do some stuff to the KTM. BTW how about shipping the bikes to Argentina and meeting us there?

mcgovski

Adventurer
Hey Luis! I have been a little busy...SKIING! the snow and the weather have bee real good. anyhow, I do have some pics of the bike with the Wolfman Luggage. so clean and stout. Really happy about this system so far.
I only have pics without the bags...
a few things left (I think) for the DRZ.
I am going to recover the seat. Yup, recover it. I checked out a seat on Saturday, that was a stock DRZ seat that had been recovered and it felt AWESOME. the seat Cover is the problem. Case Covers...still waiting on thumper talk, they must be riding them to my house. And Tail rack. I think I am leaning towards Pro Moto Billet. Its light weight and clean. I seriously considered the Rugged Rider tail rack, but from what I gather, it wont work with the stock tail light. I think the Pro Moto Billet is a bit lighter and is plug and play...
As for the KTM. I am hoping its "good to go" I welded big fat gussets on the Turatech racks, (they sure are expensive and built like crap). Other than that I need to hard wire my GPS in the cockpit and figure out my oil problem. For some reason after a a couple 100 miles of riding, oil is getting purged into my air box. After dropping the oil, remeasuring the oil to make sure it was not an over oil issue, I still have the problem. I have looked on ADV and there are a few accounts of this, but no solution...perhaps a gummed up spring on a breather valve.
I dont know why, but I am intimidated to really work on the KTM...where as the DRZ, I would rip into anything on that bike!

Ship the bikes to Argentina? good idea. Why dont you guys high tail it to OVEXPO and meet us there!

Attachments

• drztransform 004.jpg
    drztransform 004.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 98
  • drztransform 003.jpg
    drztransform 003.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Hey Luis!... Why dont you guys high tail it to OVEXPO and meet us there!
I really wish we could go to OVEXPO this year, we had a great time last year and this year it is going to be a lot better. I would go just to meet Harold Stephens. Someone we know gave us his book "Who Needs a Road" and it is awe inspiring, it makes our adventure feel more like a trip to the mall :sombrero:.

It will surely be a great OvExpo, but we are on the road south!

edgear

aventurero, Overland Certified OC0012
I'm a little late to this thread, but it looks like an awesome buildup so far! I look forward to seeing this bike & meeting you at the Expo in a few months. I especially dig the color. It's like the tuffer big brother to my DR200. Just last week I spoke to Jesse Kientz at Kientech Engineering (http://kientech.com/), and he's definitely an expert on all-things DR -- from the 200 all the way up to 650. He especially knows his stuff when it comes to suspensions. He also carries plenty of other farkles for the Suzukis.

mcgovski

Adventurer
Edgear
I am really looking forward to getting down to Expo and meeting everyone and seeing everyone's take / approach to travel, especially their mode of transport. There are so many options!
thanks for the link, it could be useful.

Luis, I know you guys are on a different path, just ribbing you a bit. I will try and get a pic with Harold Stephens for you!

Cheers

chris

Oni

Adventurer
Nice rack. Do you have any problems hitting it with your legs with or without the packs on it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94