DRZ400 expedition build for OVERLAND EXPO trip

mcgovski

Adventurer
this thread will (hopefully) document the transformation of my wifes DRZ 400 moto from a tried and trued DS bike, to something capable of traveling off the beaten path for long distances...like riding with me and my bud Sam to the Overland Expo in April!!!!

what needs to be addressed?
stock bars:
gone, replaced with 1" risers and OS Moose bars
Gas Tank:
4 gallon IMS tank is on the way
Carb / jetting issue:
JD jetting kit is en route
stock side covers:
ordering some stronger covers from thumper talk
Stock Bash Plate:
any suggestions for replacement?
Stock foot pegs:
looking to replace with wider rally style pegs. (we are going to be standing up a lot!)

also, adding the new wolfman expedition panniers with the new side racks

our route will be mostly off road and we are guessing it will be around 1500 miles each way to OVEXPO

FYI, we are not looking for advice on a different bike.(I know there is a strong contingent of 2 wheeled folks that would have us believe the DRZ cant do these kind of trips) We feel the DRZ is tried and true, albeit its not a 990...we are after light, small and reliable. The DRZ is the perfect bike for this trip. Plus, my wife can pick this sucker up on her own!

Stay tuned, things should start to happen soon. if you have any suggestions for this build, i would much appreciate the feedback.

Thanks
Chris

oh, we will be looking for a moto shop in Tucson, Az, too, where we can buy some oil and filters...and i am betting new tires for our return, so any tips there would be great too. (bikes: DRZ400, KTM 640m KTM690

Attachments

• 19354_304579831123_719506123_4818963_110793_n.jpg
    19354_304579831123_719506123_4818963_110793_n.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 189

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
You won't hear any complaints from me. That's how I was setting up my DRZ. I think it would be a great expo bike if your expo is primarily dirt.

I would absolutely add Unibiker radiator guards to your list. I had a VERY light get off on my Z and was surprised how much the radiators bent. The Unibikers create kind of a roll cage for your radiators. In addition to protecting them from puncture, they offer very good crush protection as well. I also added Cycra Pro Bends. I was less concerned about bashing my hands than I was losing a lever during a get off.

Lots of good choices for bash plates. I hadn't got around to getting one for mine before I sold it, but I was planning on going with a Hyde skid plate. A lot of people complain about the aluminum plates reverberating engine noise.

And for Pete's sake, you need to do something about the seat if you are going to log miles on it.

What tires are you planning on running?

Oni

Adventurer
Giant loop bags might be worth a looksee:

http://www.giantloopmoto.com/

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=516522

This is a very well thought out rack for DRZ's:

http://www.ruggedrider.com/products.html

This is a thread with a well sorted DRZ...posted by the lady who designed the above rack:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518376

I am a big fan of steering stabilizers. Scott's Performance probably makes one for your bike...or maybe GPR. I have a giant TT skidplate on my X-Challenge and used some spray on rubberized undercoating from a rattlecan that stopped a lot of the resonance.

Last edited:

mcgovski

Adventurer
Ah yes, Radiator guards...I forgot to add that, thanks. I have heard there are issues with the IMS tank and Rad guards...perhaps Unibiker radiator guards will work with the IMS tank, great idea.
the seat. I have never mentioned the seat being a known problem to my wife...and she has never said one cross word about the stock seat...she has never done this long of a trip before either...I will address this, the last thing I want is a wife with an unhappy seat!
Tires...I think we will run Dunlop 606's front and rear. There has been talk of us running trail wings on the way down...and using a bit more pavement on the way to expo...but I am partial to riding dirt roads as much as possible. I figure a new set of 606's will get us about 2000 miles.
Bash Plate, Hyde skid plate...ok, looking at that too.

Thanks for all the info and feed back

Cheers

Chris

mcgovski

Adventurer
Oni-
thanks for the feedback.
we are square on the luggage. the new wolfman stuff made for the DRZ is out of this world...I should have it next week. we looked at the giant loop, in fact, Sam, the dude riding the 690, is using a giant loop. I think having a side rack will give my wife some other areas to help picking the bike up too.
Steering stabilizer is for sure on the long list, it is a great mod.
By rubberized spray, do you mean like line x style stuff? does it get too hot for that stuff?

hmmmm....

Chris

mcgovski

Adventurer
Rynosurf-
i will look a the ims pegs and moose skid...
By airbox thread are you referring to the 3x3 mod? I forgot about that, I need to do that as well...and the emissions stuff is coming off, I was just at TT looking for a thread on how to remove all that stuff. I need to do the clutch and kick stand switch too.

this is great, keep it coming
Thanks!

Chris

Oni

Adventurer
I think this was the stuff I used...or very similar.

http://store.newlevelmotorsports.com/sponun.html

Really helps cut down the mechanical clatter. I used a whole can and sprayed the inside of my skid plate. Even helps when the plate gets hit by rocks. Used to go PING (which was very annoying) now it is more of a tink.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
Ah yes, Radiator guards...I forgot to add that, thanks. I have heard there are issues with the IMS tank and Rad guards...perhaps Unibiker radiator guards will work with the IMS tank, great idea.

The IMS and Unibikers work together. It is just a pain to get them on. I had both. I used longer bolts for the lower ones. I don't think there is any way the bolts that come with them would work. Or at least it would take that much longer to do it.

The 3x3 airbox mod and re-jet is the big one. Really wakes the bike up and gets rid of the stumble.

nicomama

Chris,

I'm a little biased, but I think the DRZ is the perfect adventure riding machine. It's reliable and nimble and can also keep up on the tarmac. I had a ball on my week long solo adventure ride around the Grand Canyon on my DRZ.

The one mod that my butt loved the most is the Renazco Racing seat that I installed just before the journey. Couldn't be happier with it. I think it's one of the highest quality and best looking seats out there. Chris Hickson will treat you right. They take pride in their craftsmanship and their customer service. And, they should be proud of the results. This lower profiled seat, which was carved to my size, plus the Kouba #3 links helped to lower the bike perfectly to fit my 5'6" frame.

If your wife finishes this trip and feels she would like to utilize the rear fender area for more rack space to free up her panniers on future rides then you can see my Rugged Rider 2-in-1 cargo rack that has a Sport Rack that follows the lines of the fender for daily cargo carry, and then you can add the Adventure Rack addition that bolts onto the Sport Rack for larger adventure loads. It also serves as a great way to pick up the back end of the bike if it has taken a dirt nap.

I didn't have panniers for my trip to the Grand Canyon, but my Adventure Rack handled the load perfectly. I'd be happy to answer any questions about my DRZ or rack.

693028209_wEAio-XL.jpg

763710470_NsSJA-XL.jpg

716460553_9Ku5R-XL.jpg

I wish you a fun adventure trip,
Nicole Espinosa
www.ruggedrider.com
nicole@ruggedrider.com

mcgovski

Adventurer
Nicole-
thanks for the info. Great looking bike! I am so glad to hear that the DRZ worked out great for you. My wife is 5'10", so we dont have to lower the bike...but the saddle, I think we need to deal with it!
I like the look of your fender rack, I wonder if it will work with the wolfman side rack...???
tell me about your headlight and fairing. is that light Baja Design? did you feel the need for a higher wind screen when riding slab?

great looking DRZ!
thanks for posting.

wparkinson

As for tiers I would check out the KENDA TrackmasterII's. I have used both the 606's and the TMII's on my KLR.. The TM works better for me in the dirt and is a little less slippy. I think its because the 606 is a little more rounded.... not sure... I got about as many miles out of my TMII's as I have the 606 and Rockymountain ATV usually has a good price on them. Usually less than 120 for a pair. If cost isn't an issue then the 606 is a great tier.

nicomama

Nicole-
thanks for the info. Great looking bike! I am so glad to hear that the DRZ worked out great for you. My wife is 5'10", so we dont have to lower the bike...but the saddle, I think we need to deal with it!
I like the look of your fender rack, I wonder if it will work with the wolfman side rack...???
tell me about your headlight and fairing. is that light Baja Design? did you feel the need for a higher wind screen when riding slab?

great looking DRZ!
thanks for posting.

Hey Chris,

Thanks for the compliment on my bike. Yep, the headlight is a Baja Designs Sol Tek 8"er. I run a lower wattage bulb at the moment, since I'm not doing any night riding and I want to save on draw from the battery. I'm just about to purchase heated gear, so I want to save every watt I can that's connected to the battery.

As for the wind screen, I chose a smaller "Dart Fly Screen" from the UK, because I wanted it to be more streamlined. It redistributes the wind to the top of the helmet and my neck, which is a difference of night and day for my height. It is also adjustable, though, and can be extended up for taller riders. I jerry-rigged the screen to the headlight frame with a cheap bracket from the local hardware store...
689664895_iTEfT-XL.jpg

Do you have the Wolfman racks already? Can you tell me their mounting points or show us in close up photos? Then I should be able to tell you if they'd be compatible with the Rugged Rider rack.

I'm excited for you guys.

My Best,
Nicole
nicole@ruggedrider.com
www.ruggedrider.com

Rexsname

Explorer
Nicole,

I am so tickled to see you here! I have enjoyed your recent postings over on ADV. Any chance you might be at the Overland Exposition in April?

REX

mcgovski

Adventurer
Nicole-
the wolfman rack and bags are on the way. as soon as that stuff arrives I plan on documenting the install right here in this thread.

Ordered a MSR skid plate today for the DRZ and some SunLine foot pegs. they are wider and convex...should be nice when up on the pegs.

In other news, I had a few issues with my ktm 640 that I thought I had solved...so I have a lot of work to do.

thanks for all the feed back.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94