Racking my brain

Explorer
I believe I've made a mistake by mounting my RTT tent too high.

It is a T-TOP design having the add a room option. I wanted maximum headroom when deployed, and the extra cargo room over the bed, so I built a rack to place it higher.

This puts the tent up in the airfoil and it scrubbed about 1 mpg

Anyway, I dislike the handling characteristics it now has. Its top heavy and has a lot of leverage when jostling side to side.

I'm thinking of lowering it to the top of my opened toolbox lid (6-8 inches). I'll lose some cargo and head room, but increase mpg and handling.

I Really don't see how I could mount it flush with the bed because I haul a dog, firewood, antelope, elk and deer in the back.Plus I want to be able to access cargo on three sides.

compromise, compromise........

Do you think its worth the $50 in tubing and the day of bending and painting to drop it 6-8"?
http://

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Thats a tough call. Sure does look to make the bed fairly useless and hard to access with it much lower.

I think Id drop it though. Better MPG allows you to travel further. :coffee:

Harald Hansen

Explorer
Could you possibly reclaim the 1 MPG by mounting a GRP airfoil thingy like some trucks have on top of the truck cab roof (sorry, don't know what it's called in English?) You would still have the weight up there, though.

Otherwise I think the riser idea is interesting.

ColinTheCop

Adventurer
How about a hinged set up...?

I mount mine flush on my bed, like this (ignore the bloke pissing on my truck).

12143_204026973427_708468427_4129012_2408780_n.jpg

Using a bedcover like this,

mountain_top_ford.jpg

mountain_top_ford_zoom.jpg

Explorer
Telescoping risers?

Good idea, if I could get the heavy thing to be solid and use compressed air to lift it....

If you were closer, I'd let you try out my rack

It really is a compromise. I do have access under the RTT/rack - but it is kind of a PITA. RTT still affects MPG, but the added weight is somewhat lower.

Ideally, It'd be nice to raise/lower the mounted tent. Lift it above the cab for use and drop it back down to the bed for transportation...

I'm fairly satisfied with the mounting height on my RTT. Though, I am rethinking the rack itself - I'd like another 'hoop' at the rear of the truck - more like DesertDude's (IIRC) old rack...
Ya, that was where I was headed when I thought to post this.

It needs to to hoops tied together with gussets to withstand rally forces:ylsmoke:I'll be doing that too.

How about a hinged set up...?

I mount mine flush on my bed, like this (ignore the bloke pissing on my truck).

12143_204026973427_708468427_4129012_2408780_n.jpg

Using a bedcover like this,

mountain_top_ford.jpg

mountain_top_ford_zoom.jpg

That looks like a nice setup for you. I'm a hunter and my dog would freak out under there. Plus It would limit my cargo space too much I think.

Nice feedback!

soonenough

Explorer
pray4surf - thanks for the links!

I was thinking of the shorty Hi-Lift Jacks at 4 corners or something mechanical in nature, ratcheting & lockable.
You could also use a small bottle jack.

You wouldn't need anything extremely fancy for the uprights; if you had a tube-slidng-over-a-tube, that would accomplish the telescoping feature. Then all you'd need to do is drill holes through the inner cylinder, and use hitch pins of whatever diameter necessary to support the load. You'd use the jack to temporarily lift the upper portion to whatever height you want, put the 4 hitch pins in the hole you want, then slowly release the jack to lower the upper portion down onto the hitch pins. You're loading the hitch pins in shear, which is inherently somewhat weak, but that's how they're loaded when they're used to secure a ball and tongue to a receiver.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Sorry to go semi-OT, but I'm looking to build a rack much like praysurf's. How do you guys plan to secure the cargo? Welding on plates would be overkill, but maybe have some fiberglass covers made?

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
I believe I've made a mistake by mounting my RTT tent too high.

It is a T-TOP design having the add a room option. I wanted maximum headroom when deployed, and the extra cargo room over the bed, so I built a rack to place it higher.

This puts the tent up in the airfoil and it scrubbed about 1 mpg

Anyway, I dislike the handling characteristics it now has. Its top heavy and has a lot of leverage when jostling side to side.

I'm thinking of lowering it to the top of my opened toolbox lid (6-8 inches). I'll lose some cargo and head room, but increase mpg and handling.

I Really don't see how I could mount it flush with the bed because I haul a dog, firewood, antelope, elk and deer in the back.Plus I want to be able to access cargo on three sides.

compromise, compromise........

Do you think its worth the $50 in tubing and the day of bending and painting to drop it 6-8"?
http://

Definitely Clint, worth the $$ and time bending tubing and welding it the right way. Drop it down so it all flush with the cab. The fain is lower COG, stability, mpg, wind resistance, wear and tear on the RTT, looks, etc. yes you will loose some space underneath but a small loss given the other factors.

The pooch can still go under it or better/safer in the quad or extended cab with you or if it is dirty/muddy, use a tarp or blanket in the cab for the dog. I believe we spoke of this very thing one time we met at your place and went through all the pros/cons?

Cackalak Han

Explorer
I'm still at the brainstorm stage. I'd like to have the sides and the back all enclosed, but at the same time, would like to access the cargo easily. What would be ideal is a shell that comes about half way up with windoors. I don't think such a product exists. The bednet idea is cheap and easy, but I'd like just a little more security.

....I can see this getting way too expensive and coming out way too ugly. :D

Saw this when you first posted up, was hoping others would chime in...

Right now, cables and padlocks.

Are you thinking of enclosing the sides? Consider a stake bed look? or how about nylon straps ala bednets.

I'd like to find a mountable/lockable chest to store my fluids/parts/recovery gear. I've also brainstormed a weatherproof drawer system for between the wheelwells.

I still need to retain normal truck capabilities. Like tonight, I need to go and pickup a new stove, so I can't have the bed filled with other 'necessities'.

I'd like to hear what you come up with?

Rick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz