Blackend Fish

Lichen

Explorer
Unsalted butter will most definitely burn. All cooking fats will burn, given a certain temperature.

If you want to use butter, but want to cook at a higher temp, use clarified butter (ghee). The smoke point is 485F, which is quite high. The solids in regular butter will burn at a much lower temp.

My bad, you are right. The butter should be clarified first.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
I use to use way more oil whenever I was doing anything, its easy to go overboard. I like frying tortillas as a quick snack in my 10 inch cast iron fry pan at home and only about 1 teaspoon is plenty enough to fry both sides and make it nice and crispy. I usually go for vegetable oil when I do that.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Try the squeeze bottle technique I referred to. Actually, it's better than a real squeeze bottle because you can still screw the cap on.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
To make clarified butter\ghee don't you just put a pound or so of stick butter in a pan, melt it and boil it, then strain the floating bits off the top to leave the liquid (clarified butter)? That doesn't seem like too much work. Clarified butter keeps longer with less than adequate refrigeration too if I remember correctly.

Honu

lost on the mainland
used to do blackened fish all the time but always did it with a dry pan !
prefer it that way to the oil way
high heat cast iron and have to be outside or have a industrial kitchen fan cause it will smoke to a insane amount
dry the fish rub in the rub put it down on rub side and cook it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles