Conqueror struts

fubar

Adventurer
I can't get the old fittings off the ball. This whole thing is not only frustrating, but making me feel like a complete moron. Sheesh...

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
LOL... I can imagine. They have to come off some way, I know on the my Cherokee, the ends are held on with little wire pins that are hard to see. Unclip the wire, slide it out, and then the end can come off the ball.

Not sure what is on yours, but if you post a picture Im sure we can figure it out.

On another note, you should be able to remove the entire ball stud (with the end still on if necessary). Then, just get the correct sized ball stud and end. is that possible? Those pieces are fairly cheap.

~James

fubar

Adventurer
Same set-up...only the unclipping and slideing part does not allow the ball to come out.

I may have a line on the correct part. 24.4" with 10mm shaft and M8 standard threads. We'll see. My next option is replacing the balls and going from there.

fubar

Adventurer
Newer and more hopeful update. I *believe* I have the solution. 24.4" extended - 90 lbs. strut with an 8mm shaft/M6 threaded ends. The stock ball caps are M8 threads and the balls themselves are 13mm and also M8 threads. I have ordered replacement 10mm balls with M8 threads to match the stock mounting points. This should do it. When I get the final-final I will post an oblique reference to the source as they are not a sponsor.

fubar

Adventurer
Finally success. 24.4" 120 lbs. 10mm balls with M8 threads. Cost ~$50. PM for details.

The fronts are the same size but prolly 10 lbs and there are already 10mm balls in place.

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Fubar is the newest gas strut expert on the forum.. :elkgrin:

Glad you got it whipped.

~ James

fubar

Adventurer
Gee thanks Stump. Everyone's gotta be famous for something...and this is what I pick? *sigh*

fubar

Adventurer
UPDATE - I just installed the the CS2800-120 with 10mm balls from Mike at Columbia Struts <rv-trader@clearwire.net>. They work PREFECTLY. No need to relocate the balls and raises and hold the rear gate at about 45 degrees. FINALLY a solution.

Now on to the front...

fubar

Adventurer
FINAL UPDATE - I was finally able to get appropriate replacement struts for both the front and rear hatches.

The fronts are 24.4" 20 lb on 10mm balls.

They fit in the stock location and work great. I

After only 5 years....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier