SoftTopper and Camper Build

NM-Frontier

Explorer
Just wanted to show off my new Softtopper and sleeping platform. The Softtoper has been great it is very water proof and keeps the inside nice and dry. I got it for its ease of accessing the bed and the fact you can roll up the sides or just fold it down. It is light weight and defiantly cheaper then a hard top. The platform is made out of ply wood, 2X2s and 1X12s. I sealed it with some clear latex enamel, and have a 3" futon mattress that fits perfect on top.
The door sings open and two mountains bike can be stored when in travel status. Take out the bikes and close the door and unroll the mattes for sleeping. There is another trap door up front that holds tools and recovery gear. Shovel and Hi-Lift fit in the sides.

Attachments

• IMG_6540.jpg
    IMG_6540.jpg
    928.4 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_6528.jpg
    IMG_6528.jpg
    963.8 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_6531.jpg
    IMG_6531.jpg
    839.5 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_6522.jpg
    IMG_6522.jpg
    771.3 KB · Views: 181

NM-Frontier

Explorer
The rear view is surprisingly better then I thought it would be, even with the front camper window dirty you can see pretty darn good. The windows are a bit harder to clean and keep them that way then glass ones but not unmanageable.

762X39

Explorer
You did a nice job and stuck to the KISS rule. Is that Macs Custom Tiedown Rails along the side? I am considering a Softopper for my F150 so that I can configure the pickup for hauling stuff or camping when I'm not using the Mog.I think I'll borrow your idea for storage and a place to sleep.The fold up plywood sheet that lets you transport your bikes is very clever.:coffee:

Xterrain

Well done! Looks great ad stows those bikes nicely. I have been looking at multiple setups for camping and stowing my mountain bikes/climbing gear, etc and this looks MUCH cheaper than the Flip-Pac option I was considering! Wow! Thanks for the ideas and i hope you wont mind if I follow your lead!

I am also noticing there is quite a bit of un-used space under the sleeping platform which looks like some nice storage for gear/compressors/maybe even a mini fridge on slides!

NM-Frontier

Explorer
The set up has worked out nice. The space along the sides could be converted to store any thing really. Right now my Hi-Lift and shovel work nice in one side and on the other I am just using a couple of ammo cans till I come up with a tricker idea. This would be a good space for a narrow fridge or cut out the deck and store a jerry can. For now it fits by needs for short light weight trips and camping at bike races.

Yes those are the factory rails.

MisterTinkle

Adventurer
Very nice. I've always liked the configuration options the soft toppers provide. Nice setup for the bikes. My short bed is just inches TOO short for my 29" MTB to fit. But, with family and dogs, I really needed the crewcab.

Well done. Looks functional!

NM-Frontier

Explorer
The wood and hardware including paint and hinges was gust under $100. The plastic bin I used as a drawer was $8. That is not bad. The futon pad I already had, so if you did not have that, then some type of pad or mattress would add to the cost. The bike mounts came from an older setup I had but they run anywhere from $20-$40 from your local bike shop.

Xterrain

Great! thats half what I was thinking it would cost. I'll probably go your route and get a 3" futon to lay back there...I was also thinking of sticking a compressor underneath and having an inflatable matress back there to save storage space. I run a bike shop, and love to go camping and biking with my dog, so your design has inspired me to do it asap. 2" BL, 33's, Soft topper and this build will hopefully come together next month. I think I may throw a string of LED's just under the bed rails to spice it up a bit and give me some more interior lighting along with an overhead outdoor dome light (and possibly a set of outdoor speakers built into the back facing the tailgate...who knows) Im stoked though and can't thank you enough for the info and idea!:victory:

NM-Frontier

Explorer
I was first going to do the inflatable rout as well but as you know they all get a puncture at some point (and enough Stan's to fill a mattress might be costly) and I had the old futon already so it worked out. Inside lights will be one of my next projects. Speakers would be fun at bike races. We will see how the set up works at 24hrs at the Old Pueblo in AZ.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94