"Bill Coombs 73 Land Rover/Toyota Mini-Truck" info help...

JSBriggs

Adventurer
I am the one that is building up the toyota/rover from the timbercrawler post. I have been bad about updating, but I switched forums to where I kept track of what I was doing. Most of the fabrication is being done by my younger brother graeme who owns his own fab shop in bend oregon. He is almost done with the rover, and we now only wait the final wiring. here is a little more for you to follow http://www.pnwcrawlers.com/viewtopic.php?t=12&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I'd love to see it in person someday. Maybe at the PDX ABFM, or if you are in my neighborhood to do the Rubicon, your welcome to stop in.

-Jeff

toyrover

Observer
For sure at the field meet this year. It has killed me not having a series at the show for the past three years. The rubicon would be an amazing trip. That is was this rig is being built for eventually.

Toy-Roverlander

Adventurer
Man that thing looks AWESOME! The welding on those flares......:Wow1: Geez... wish I could weld like that...

That's gonna be one awesom 'Series' when finished:sombrero:.

EricWS

Observer
Well, if the Rover frames are that stout then I guess I'd still rather stuff Mini-truck axles(with Longfields) underneath it run the frame since as was pointed out the frnt axle bolts right up (awesome)...Then maybe a 1KZ-t 3.0L I4 Diesel :drool: R151 with a MArlin Dual set-up 2.28/4.7 mix... All that in a 109 with an OME suspension, some nice tall skinny 34-35x10.50 either LTB's or SSR's I think would be near perfect.

I'm completely daydreaming at this point, but when I was thumbing through a Petersens in the reading room the other morningI saw this Elusie "Bill Coombs" and his Rover/Toy Hybrid and I just really couldn't stop looking at every little bit of it (and it was a small picture so I was SQUINTING...) Sure wish someone could add some info about Bill's rig, but there are some pretty awsome trucks already here. I guess I never realized just how many Toy/Rover Hybrids we had on this board. All in all I think it's a mariage of two beautiful pieces of equiptment that yields one fantastic vehicle.

Would the Rovers more 'bulbus' bonnet make it easier to swap in say a 4BT then it would be in alot of the Toyotas??? Or am I just seeing an optical illusion in pics that make me thionk that the front clip has more room then say a Mini-truck or even a 60Series. Part of it is the height of the bonnet sheet metal that makes ne think that it could maybe handle the very tall 4bt... Just thinking out loud here foks.

Cheers

Dave

Couple of folks have thrown 4bts under the bonnet. One sold on D-90.com, one build is on Pirate and Timm Cooper did the other. Very nice result on most of them.

Nice to dream. I have this dream truck then I realize how much of a PITA it would be and I get back to restoring it to stock. My heavy wheeling days are over and ROAM product will get me through what I wheel these days with some TT in the centers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior