Another Alaskan camper restoration

rodtermaat

Rather the first Nebraskan camper build. I just started this blog thing to document my trials and errors so that others know not to follow my path. I have a 1950's Alaskan camper that I bought last fall and I am finally starting on the rebuild (emphasis on the build).

http://nebraskacamper.blogspot.com/

This forum is a great resource and I need some help. First up: I nicked one of the hydraulic lines removing what was left of the original interior. I want to redo all the lines and change the layout a bit.

Do I drain the system completely and connect everything dry. Then lower the camper and fill the system? I have no idea how to bleed these lines. Any thoughts?

I am going to refrain from posting pictures here and link back to this sight if that is ok? to reference questions and answers. My goal was to create a single source of my restoration rather then many posts over the next several months. Is there a more preferred way?

haven

Expedition Leader
Rod, Welcome to ExPo!

Have you contacted the Alaskan Camper factory? In my experience,
they are friendly and helpful. I'm sure they will be pleased to hear that
a very early camper is being restored. The company started in 1953, so
yours may be one of the oldest still in use. The factory may be able
to provide some sort of documentation about the camper as well.

The Alaskan Campers are framed in wood, so they will be heavier
than a similar size camper made with an aluminum frame. You may find
that your F150 suspension may need some help when you're loaded
down with camper, passengers and gear.

It's fine to use your blog as the primary record of the restoration.
We love to see photos, so I've made a screen grab from your blog:

1954-8ft-Alaskan-1.jpg

1954 Alaskan Camper, 8 feet long, no cabover, under restoration by
forum member rodtermaat

Chip Haven

rodtermaat

Hydraulics

Thanks for the advice it is appreciated. As for the vintage it could be exactly as you suggested. I do have a registration from the guy I bought the camper from that states 1954, but it could be easily be wrong.

I have shut off values on each line which I assume they used to regulate flow. I plan to retain that concept, but run all the lines along the bottom instead of on the wheel well walls.

I agree that my F150 my not be all the truck that I need, but right now it is what I have. I would prefer a new Chevy 2500 4X4 diesel, but have a 1500 2X4 gasser. I am saving my pennies, but since I only use cash, something of an older vintage will probably be in order. An Dodge W250 4X4 diesel would match the Alaskan pretty well in my opinion.

Rot Box

Explorer
:Wow1: It takes an enormous amount of patience when working on projects like this and from the looks of it you really know what you're doing!

Keep it up-can't wait to see more :elkgrin:

rodtermaat

hyraulics replaced

I replaced and re-plumbed all of the hydraulics today. I ended up keeping all the lines equal just like the original. A few notes included: The flare tool is not your friend. It is an evil tool. Adding new fluid ended up a non event. I pumped and the top went up. Not tightening all the connections was a classic Rod move (me), and I spent some time cleaning up leaky fluid due to this little gem. Overall the project was a success. I updated the blog with pictures.

Next up will be electrical. I enjoyed a nice shock earlier this year indicating that new lines are in order. Thanks for the advice.

CalLabSolutions

Electric Hydrolic Pump

The New Alsakan campers (I believe) have electric hydrolic pumps..
Does anybody have any ideas on upgrading the hand pump with an electric one?

kerry

Expedition Leader
is keeping all the lines the same length an effective way to keep equal pressure & flow to all 4 cylinders? Peter

Don't see how that would be relevant. In hydraulic brakes on a car, the lines or of unequal length yet the brakes apply evenly. Is this because the movement is much smaller than a long lifting ram? Theoretically, it seems to me that as long the lines is filled with fluid, a stroke at one end would eject a similar amount of fluid at the other regardless of length.

KEENO

Adventurer
Dodge/Cummins W250

An Dodge W250 4X4 diesel would match the Alaskan pretty well in my opinion.

I would 2nd your nomination for truck of choice! :smiley_drive:
I'm still trying to get my 1968 Alaskan back together without much success due to working in Ohio during the week & moving onto home improvement projects. Sad.... very sad!

It's looking great Rodtermaat.... Keep up the awesome resto-mod!

KEENO:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94