Basic Life Support kit list

roamingaz

Explorer
I have finally put together a decent BLS pack to carry in my truck and since most of us on here love pictures and a checklist I am posting it all here for your enjoyment. Most of this is real basic but I know there are some people that will gain some usefull knowledge. I am missing a few items but I have the important suff and I simply dont carry some things that others may feel is important.

This pack is intended to be used my a trained EMT or first responder but even if you dont have the proper training it is still a good idea to have the gear on on hand if it was ever needed. Also keep in mind that medical gear is expensive and some of it has a shelf life so it needs to be rotated out with fresh stuff every year or so.

I carry 2 kits; one is a basic lightwieght AMK kit that works well for really basic cuts and scrapes and also has a few meds for headache, etc.

The BLS kit I am going to go over I pack in a Camelbak HAWG milatary edition. It is almost too small for this kit but until I can find the "perfect" bag it will have to work. Yes it all fits!

emtpack002.jpg

emtpack003.jpg

The most important thing to remember in a emergency is ABC.

AIRWAY BREATHING CIRCULATION

I have everything packed into modules that I can grab easily, I plan on getting more of the Conterra organizer bags because they are top quality and work very well.

For Airway and Breathing I have one module packed in a Alocsak
emtpack004-1-1.jpg

Circulation refers to bleeding, my Circulation module consist of two seperate kits. The first is for major bleeding that is a immediate life threat, I keep this in blue Conterra organizer bag. This would be used for gunshot, stabbing, amputation, etc. Remember bright red blood is from a arterial bleed.
*Bolin chest seal
*vaseline gauze pads
*Kerlix dressing
*Bloodstopper
*MAT Tourniquet
*compressed gauze
*5x9 ABD pads

emtpack005.jpg

emtpack006-1.jpg

The other bleeding kit is for cuts and scrapes, less severe bleeding injuries.
4x4 pads
3x3 pads
2x2 pads
eye pads
Kerlix gauze
gauze wrap
regular bandaids
Kids band aids
Durapore tape

emtpack007.jpg

emtpack008.jpg

I have a module for broken bones, sprains, and cervical stablization.
Never apply a c-collar or move a person with suspected spinal injuries unless you are properly trained.

*Nextsplint folding C-collar
*Sam splint
*ice packs
*duct tape
*triangle bandage
*elastic wraps (not pictured)

emtpack009.jpg

Stuff not really in any catagory is the misc. tools used.
*Manual blood pressue cuff
*Littman stethascope
*trauma shears
*bandange scissors
*pen light
*hemostat
*irrigation syringe
*burn sheet
*burn gel
*glucose paste
*glucose meter(not pictured)
*Sharpie
*thermometer
*gloves
*extra Durapore tape
*hydration salts
*AMK wilderness medical book
*speedy spanish for medical workers

emtpack010.jpg

craig333

Expedition Leader
Nice kit. Biggest problem I have is keeping mine up to date.

Love the ABC advice. I can't explain why the red cross went away from that. In a emergency you need to keep it simple.
I still think abc is the best way to keep your head in an emergency.

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Bringing this thread back to the top as it was the topic of my thoughts today.

Jess, has this kit worked for you? changed anything?

Anyone else carry something as comprehensive?

roamingaz

Explorer
First off congratulations to Gavin, he passed the EMT basic test good job :wings:

Yes I still carry most of the same stuff and it all works but I switched out the camelback to a Dynamed pack (for sale by the way:sombrero:) that is the large pack I used while at overland expo but it was a little big to carry around so I found a Adventure Medical Kits Guide pack works very well and just enough room for all my stuff without being a PIA to get at stuff. I can take a couple pics if you want.
On a side note this kit has alot of stuff and I pieced it together myself mostly from Ebay or medical supply companies. The best place to get quality medical supplies with awesome customer service is Chinook Medical or Remote Medical. I found the AMK guide bag used on Ebay for really cheap and a comparable bag would be the Conterra infinity modular pro. One item I will be adding is a corpsman ENT kit and I have removed the amount of bandages I carry just for lack of space.

http://www.remotemedical.com/Deluxe-ENT-Field-Kit

Last edited:

Fergie

Expedition Leader
First off congratulations to Gavin, he passed the EMT basic test good job :wings:

Yes I still carry most of the same stuff and it all works but I switched out the camelback to a Dynamed pack (for sale by the way:sombrero:) that is the large pack I used while at overland expo but it was a little big to carry around so I found a Adventure Medical Kits Guide pack works very well and just enough room for all my stuff without being a PIA to get at stuff. I can take a couple pics if you want.
On a side note this kit has alot of stuff and I pieced it together myself mostly from Ebay or medical supply companies. The best place to get quality medical supplies with awesome customer service is Chinook Medical or Remote Medical. I found the AMK guide bag used on Ebay for really cheap and a comparable bag would be the Conterra infinity modular pro. One item I will be adding is a corpsman ENT kit and I have removed the amount of bandages I carry just for lack of space.

http://www.remotemedical.com/Deluxe-ENT-Field-Kit
Good to know, and thanks for the congrats! I was worried when I got cut off at 68 questions.

I've been going through theChinook site and pieceing my stuff together already.

Do you have any opinion on the BVM you have, or one of these pocket BVMs?
http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/item/01168/search/-PocketBVM--------------------------------------

roamingaz

Explorer
The BVM I have is called the cyclone and works very well, don't know anything about the others.
I am planning to be at the meet and greet Jan 7 and I will bring my bag, you can look through my gear and see how it works before you buy it.

frumpy

Explorer
I have a first aid kit in my vehicle but I am putting a bigger one together with more stuff. I have a lot of the same stuff as above but have stayed away from a few liability things since I'm not a paramedic (neck brace/any drugs, I'm not qualified to prescribe/suggest/administer any drugs and as for neck injuries they shouldn't be transported without a back board and I'd rather just stabilize and prevent them from moving)

This is what my bigger kit is going into
a9f146b2.jpg

dd88cad1.jpg

it even has straps that come out of it so you can wear it like a backpack

alexrex20

Explorer
They went away from ABC because the airway means nothing without circulation. Even with no airway, bloodflow will still carry whatever oxygen is left in the blood. Get a good 30 seconds of chest compressions in, then worry about securing an airway.

Dennis David

Observer
2010 American Heart Association Guidelines for Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Emergency Cardiovascular Care

Just came out at the end of the year. I certified last year as well and still did it the old way. The regs change every 5 years.

"Look, Listen, and Feel" removed from the BLS algorithm

Encouraging Hands-Only (chest compression only) CPR (ie, continuous chest compression over the middle of the chest) for the untrained lay-rescuer

Sequence change to chest compressions before rescue breaths (CAB rather than ABC) for the health Care Provider

Health care providers continue effective chest compressions/CPR until return of spontaneous circulation (ROSC) or termination of resuscitative efforts.

I have a quiz on Monday and this is what we were told. ;-)

Last edited:

Dennis David

Observer
That's why the AHA is the leading authority on CPR. This from somebody that is Red Cross certified. Next time I will do AHA.

MrBeast

Explorer
you may also want to include a space blanket or 3, bottles of water, some spray disenfectant, some of those chemical heating packs, and your survival kit is missing anything you can eat.

Personally I keep cans of tunafish.

Also I would strongly sugjest something to make fire with, and some 550 cord, and a good multi tool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier