Toyota LandCruiser HDJ81 VX LTD

heeltoe989

Explorer
Hi Everybody,

I'm usually over on the Tacoma side of the forum and I need your thoughts and expertise on a truck I'm looking at.

Its a 1990 Toyota Land Cruiser HDJ81 VX LTD, 1HDT-4226cc TURBO DIESEL
4 SPEED AUTOMATIC, RHD. 103000kms

I've done some searching around but haven't been able to find much information on this type of cruiser, unless I'm looking in the wrong spots.

Any information you guys and gals can shed for me would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :smiley_drive:

PS - I've attached an actual picture of the truck for you guys.

Attachments

• HD-4724-02.jpg
    HD-4724-02.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 148

bj70_guy

Adventurer
Tons of them around here - they are awesome. Check out IH8MUD's diesel section and 80 series section.
If you're planing to wheel it at all look for factory lockers. Coil springs + factory lockers + torquey diesel = very capable wheeler right out of the box.
Easy and cheap to lift too.
Anything specific you wanted to know?

If I wasn't such a 70 series guy I'd have one... and likely will end up with one yet.

bj70_guy

Adventurer
Oh yeah, that's an Outback truck (brought in by Outback Importers). They really go through the trucks they bring over (at least they used to - don't know how they are anymore...), their service package was excellent. If it's been in country for a couple of years it would have been when marko owned the company, and they were top notch then. You could feel pretty secure that the truck was properly baselined (and not a speedo rollback...)

If you don't mind me asking, what's the asking price?

heeltoe989

Explorer
Oh yeah, that's an Outback truck (brought in by Outback Importers). They really go through the trucks they bring over (at least they used to - don't know how they are anymore...), their service package was excellent. If it's been in country for a couple of years it would have been when marko owned the company, and they were top notch then. You could feel pretty secure that the truck was properly baselined (and not a speedo rollback...)

If you don't mind me asking, what's the asking price?

There asking 34,900 with all the trimmings you see on the truck, which the only I need to do is put my fridge in it,RTT, and get a rack and I'm done.

what sort of power does this engine make and are there any sort of power add on's to those diesel engines? are they a good engine?

sailor

Observer
That is stupid money. The bottom has fallen out of the HDJ market. I would be surprised if an HDJ 81 has sold outside a dealer for more than $20k in a long while. Of course there is a sucker born every minute.

The HDT is a fine engine once the Big ends are addressed. It starts instantly. Stock it is like 170 ish hp and 275 ish torque. Not huge. expect 19 mpg around town a bit better on the highway. There are a lot of internet claims of miracle HDJ mileage- my observations differ. You can put a big exhaust on it, intercool it and turn up the fuel for more snap but it is spendy. You MUST have a Pyrometer fitted or you might melt the pistons!

It is an excellent truck with the best of Toyota old school quality. New, these things were well over $50k so they cost to own what a $50k vehicle would. The engines are very quiet and smooth but not powerhouses like a Cummins. Mileage is on par with a Cummins due to AWD and a high curb weight. Sunroofs leak, They aren't suitable for heavy towing, 100 KMH = 2200 rpm on stock tires so they arent speed demons and mileage plummets much beyond that speed. Mileage aroud town suffers due to the long time it takes to heat up the motor (huge coolant capacity) and they can be smokey. Some say the HDT is a blow by factory! Steering with bigger tires can be vague, the steering box is huge money if worn. Injectors need to be reconditioned at 150K and the injection pump will likely have to be re sealed $$$. 11 litres of oil and a $45 filter every 6oookm. If it doesnt have a pyrometer and boost gauge- get them. Big end bearings?

But you should get one- Some say this is the last of the 'big' landcruiser with the toughest parts, I discount the 100 and up because they are IFS and I don't think Toyota put as much love into them (except the 105). On the trail it is a brute- does everything right excepting a rather poor departure angle.

If I was shopping again I'd fly to Japan and go to the auction myself. The money saved would more than pay for the trip!

Last edited:

banjosc

Hey Just curious if you ever got the truck and how you like it ?

I'm considering selling my Tacoma and getting one of these.

Let me know!

banjosc

That almost sounds offputting to even get one of these things.

Are they going to ever go up in Value? I feel like a lot of the imported HJ's and some FJ's are gaining quite a lot in value. It would seem that since this is a "reliable" offroader with a lot of great features and parts, and being the last of its type would mean that it would appreciate in value.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Heh, 6 years later I DID wind up with one!

I saw that in the signature of your first post.... funny! How do you like yours? I bought a converted LHD cruiser 6 months ago and I am loving mine! My Tacoma seems to sit at home for adventures now. Also, for those interested... don't be afraid of buy an open diff version and getting ARB lockers. I have those on 2 rigs now and actually like them better than the stock electric lockers.

Pics, cause why not:

bj70_guy

Adventurer
I saw that in the signature of your first post.... funny! How do you like yours? I bought a converted LHD cruiser 6 months ago and I am loving mine! My Tacoma seems to sit at home for adventures now. Also, for those interested... don't be afraid of buy an open diff version and getting ARB lockers. I have those on 2 rigs now and actually like them better than the stock electric lockers.

I've watched your mud thread - nice truck. The fact Tor did the swap is a big win. That it has a G turbo and especially the Wholesale trans are VERY big wins.

I'm loving the 81. After 23 years in a BJ70 then a BJ74, it's like driving a Caddy. It's really night and day.
Mine came already built...I've been adding to it but the main stuff was already done: lift, bumpers, sliders, storage, 3" ATEB exhaust, snorkel, gauges etc.
I had the living crap baselined out of it, bumped the tires up to 315s, added an awning, solar, ham radio, Puma compressor and so on. Eventually it'll get intercooled, a G turbo, and some Wholesale tranny parts.

I'm loading it up right now and headed to Moab tomorrow - exactly the sort of trip I had in mind when I bought it. Stoked!

30499489220_9254f7cff7_b.jpg

33442366074_9e4af4c696_b.jpg

30255234210_00a71c47f8_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles