EarthRoamer: Jeep Based Expedition Vehicle XV-JP

toyrunner95

Explorer
that thing is wicked lookin! the only problem is its a jeep, why didnt they just put a camper on an FJ and SAS it, it would probably be cheaper and cooler.

im not nocking jeeps. i just dont like them. (personal pref)

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
toyrunner95 said:
that thing is wicked lookin! the only problem is its a jeep, why didnt they just put a camper on an FJ and SAS it, it would probably be cheaper and cooler.

I think the FJ has a similar payload. It seems that ER tends to go "american" vehicles too, IMO.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
toyrunner95 said:

There are a couple good reasons to not use the FJC, not only is the FJC a fugly mall cruiser, it does not have a removable top, making this conversion expensive and difficult, it doesn't have the reputation of a jeep, it isn't as iconic as the jeep, and well, it isn't a jeep. :REOutArchery02:

Seriously though,when dealing with semi-custom vehicles, it is much cheaper and easier to leave as much of the original vehicle as possible. The removable top on the wrangler makes it very easy to simply replace the top with a modular unit that is built somewhere else, rather than cutting the top off and trying to build a tent into the hole you produced. Doing a SAS on a FJC would require a whole bunch of engineering, labor and parts cost, that is all avoided by using a jeep, and maintaining a factory warranty on the suspension and drivetrain.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
goodtimes said:
it does not have a removable top
Bingo. ER isn't doing one-off totally custom trucks. It's got to be a semi-production design. I'm a little surprised, though. Doing something smaller, I would expect a small truck cab and chassis as a base point, not a Wrangler or FJC. I picture a regular cab (the ~105" wheelbase) Taco or Ranger sort of thing. Be interesting to see this, although $100K is awful rich.

Wanderlusty

Explorer
DaveInDenver said:
Be interesting to see this, although $100K is awful rich.

I withhold final judgement until the finished product, but $100k seems REALLY steep to me. The truck itself is max about $30k. From the renderings, it does not appear as if much has been done to the body at all. So what it looks like is something similar to a slide in camper or camper shell. Say a well equipped 4 Wheel camper is maybe $7k or so. Fridge, shower, accessories and even toss in some suspension mods and maybe another $10-$15K.

But the idea itself is REALLY REALLY interesting and while I may not have the bank account to grab something like this, I will drool over it quite often....

Scott Brady

Founder
For those of us that have built fully custom vehicles it seems like a bargain :elkgrin:

The value will be more apparent when the specifications and materials (think aerospace spec. for weight) are disclosed. And don't forget the cost of labor, molds, testing, engineering, etc. This will be a tightly integrated package.

Scott Brady

Founder
It would cost over 80k to replicate my truck with labor included at $50 per hour (which is cheap).

Edit: Just the lights and light bar solution is over $3000, and 8 tires and wheels (trailer and truck) is nearly $3,000. Suspension is over $3000. It starts to add up in a hurry.

CLynn85

Explorer
Wonder if there's any potential for this thing as a "shell" model. Since they are going for a cheaper market, a lot of the people who'd be interested in this rig also like to get their hands dirty, do their own wrenching and building. Seems to me that they'd attract a pretty good diy customer base that could outfit their own vehicles using this camper.

Wish I could find my sketches I did for a drop in Jeep camper sometime back. Here's one of the quick-e paint sketches I found. Same basic idea except instead of going out the back like I did they extended it over the cab, which I like a bit better as far as keeping the COG up forward. Also like the flippac style over the hinged popup.

DaveInDenver

expeditionswest said:
It would cost over 80k to replicate my truck with labor included at $50 per hour (which is cheap).
Well, yeah, that makes more sense if you figure the labor cost in. That would make a big difference and I hadn't considered that, honestly. I wonder the number of hours I've spent wrenching on trucks now. You make a good point, Scott.

Still, I guess it does still does make me wonder how many people would look at the sticker and think the same thing I did? That I could build that myself for half that. I figure my spare time is free compared to paying a mechanic, but I guess the number of people buying turn-key trucks has always been going up.

Clutch

<---Pass
seth_js said:
Pricing is estimated to be in the Sub- $100k range, including the Jeep

:yikes:

You know how many KTMs I could buy for that!? Holy Crap! I could get 3 990 Adventures all of the gear, mine and two best buds...the blow the rest on travel, booze, and women.

Or you could go the really cheap route.

Ala BOB...

trailerbob.jpg

Last edited:

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
That is really cool! A very nice RTR expedition rig. I can't wait to see one in person.

I would probably love to have one but I'd still have something else on the side to build and customize myself. I think fabbing/customizing is part of the fun of expeditioning.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Man, I would love to have one of these.

DaveInDenver said:
Still, I guess it does still does make me wonder how many people would look at the sticker and think the same thing I did? That I could build that myself for half that.

I think that ER wouldn't want to deal with trying to mass-produce these at budget prices to sell large quantities and satisfy people with budgets of sub-50K. That is not the point. The point is to come up with something that is the asolute best you could buy as a turn-key product. I think there is much more to it than you can see in these concept photos (incl. kitchen, toilet, shower per the PR). If you could walk through their shop and see the kind of work they do and the materials they use... it is incredible. So you are paying for more than just the materials and labor here. Like any high-end automotive enthusiast market, you are paying for the reputation, the quality, and the fact that you will have something really unique. I think the point of not building another truck-based model is because the whole goal was to have a highly capable trail machine with deluxe camping accomodations. This hits the nail right on the head. Because of the wheelbase and lower GVW, sitting on top of the Rubicon platform, I could see doing some really FUN trails with this and then having a superbly efficient and comfy camp each night. I'm not talking mild trails either. LOL, I'd love to see Goodtimes take this through something...

Man, I might have to mortgage the house...

:p

DaveInDenver

BajaTaco said:
I think there is much more to it than you can see in these concept photos (incl. kitchen, toilet, shower per the PR). If you could walk through their shop and see the kind of work they do and the materials they use... it is incredible.

So you are paying for more than just the materials and labor here. Like any high-end automotive enthusiast market, you are paying for the reputation, the quality, and the fact that you will have something really unique. I think the point of not building another truck-based model is because the whole goal was to have a highly capable trail machine with deluxe camping accomodations.
I've seen the große version of the ER inside and out, they are a really, really nice way to go. But maybe that's the part I can't quite grasp, how they are going to shoehorn anything like that on to a SWB, narrow platform. Even if this isn't and probably will never be in my budget, it's a cool idea they are working on.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
BajaTaco said:
I could see doing some really FUN trails with this and then having a superbly efficient and comfy camp each night. I'm not talking mild trails either. LOL, I'd love to see Goodtimes take this through something...

Knowing the quality builds they do and the materiels they use, that sticker price doesn't surprise me.

But taking my high dollar build, up a 3.5 or higher rated trail? :Wow1:
Even if you had a bottomless bank account I would think every tree branch scraping down the side and every dinger in the body would make you pucker from the south end.

Love the idea, love their reputation. But even with tons of technical trail experience, I would think the most accomplished driver would find the fun trails extremely nerve wracking.

So are they gonna offer 'em in white?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles