EarthRoamer: Jeep Based Expedition Vehicle XV-JP

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
It would cost over 80k to replicate my truck with labor included at $50 per hour (which is cheap).

And I think that really is the point. Not everyone sees building the rig as part of the fun, I don't. I'd rather have a turn-key solution that I can load up and go. I can usually estimate the time it takes me to get something done on my truck, no matter how simple, pretty accurately by asking around and multiplying the highest estimate by four or six. I don't enjoy it, it is not fun and there are so many things in life that are fun.

While there are a lot of people here who enjoy the building process, there are a lot of white Tacos that look a lot like the ExWest mobile. They did the work, but it was still a packaged solution (attach part A to bracket B). My hat goes off to people who go their own way and build their rigs from their own ideals about what an exploration rig means to them, but if I had the money I would buy the ER and go explore. You can save a lot of money by building your own rig, but there is an opportunity cost to the "free" time spent wrenching, so I hope it is enjoyable.

I am bothered by the price, though if I actually had the money I might not be, but to me the big problem with the older ER and Sportsmobile type trucks is the size, and as I've said before, after seeing pictures of the Badgertrek mobile, I have to question the value of the Sportsmobile.

Well I guess there you have it, it all comes down to your perception of value and as Kristian pointed out, whether or not it fits your needs.

Last edited:

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
And on the eighth day, the Flying Spaghetti Monster made the EarthRoamer XV-JP, and it was good.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
kcowyo said:
But taking my high dollar build, up a 3.5 or higher rated trail? :Wow1:

Absolutely. That would be the point of it for me - to use it to its fullest and have fun with it. Pinstriping, maybe some dents, who cares if it gets the job done. I wouldn't be trying to break it, but cosmetics are no big deal.

durango_60

Explorer
I dunno, for my $$ I think the sportsmobile offers a more enticing package. Other than the Badgertrek folks, I've never really seen any quality complaints, hopefully their experience was a fluke.

Of course my opinion is skewed by my application, which for the next 10-15 years(until they are sick of me) includes hauling the kids on my adventures. If it were just the wife and I:rally_guys: , it would be really attractive to have a smaller vehicle which could handle tighter trails.

Not being someone who enjoys wrenching all that much, I do foresee myself buying a turn key package in the not so distant future, I actually came one signature away from buying a sweet 2003 dsl sportsmobile earlier this year. Thankfully I came to my senses and realized that I wouldn't be able to spend enough time in it to justify the expense.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
BajaTaco said:
Absolutely. That would be the point of it for me - to use it to its fullest and have fun with it.....

Yeah, but you're a hardcore ************. I'm thinking about the reactions of a normal man....:bowdown:

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
e-mail to wife

/glare

We will find a way. I'll sell (censored - too low brow) or something.

----- Original Message -----
To: "'Chris Shontz'" <cshontz@somewhere.net>
Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 1:08 PM
Subject: RE: earthroamer

> riiiiight
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Chris Shontz [mailto:cshontz@somewhere.net]
> Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 1:06 PM
> To: Jennifer Shontz
> Subject: Re: earthroamer
>
> Sub-100k!! I mean, crap - we paid more than that for our house and this
> thing is much cooler!
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Jennifer Shontz" <jshontz@somewhere.com>
> To: "'Chris Shontz'" <cshontz@somewhere.net>
> Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 12:57 PM
> Subject: RE: earthroamer
>
>
>> Lol. Wow. So, why is the lady in the kitchen while the man is laying
>> down?
>> That is cool but mega spensive :)
>
>
>

Last edited:

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
Wow, I love it. I remember when the first Earthromer vehicle came out, and follwing their articles in the ORA magazine. I'm never going to be able to afford one, but now at least I have something to daydream about. Although I do wonder why they chose the Rubicon Unlimited as their base vehicle. As other people have mentioned, it does have the removable hardtop, but if you wanted something like that, why didn't they just start out with a Tacoma or some other pickup? From the looks of it, it seems like they stripped the jeep down to a pickup anyway.

Also, if I were to invest that kind of money into a vehicle, I'd want to start out with the most reliable base vehicle I could find. How common are parts for jeeps in other parts of the world? Oh well, this is all just speculation, since I'll probably never be able to experience world travel like this first hand. But i can dream.

Wanderlusty

Explorer
That is so funny. My wife andI had a similar discussion:

* Was her reaction to the price.

Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 9:55 AM
To: Ross David
Subject: RE: may never be in our price range....

*Ack!! Not a month or two.

Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 9:51 AM
To: elizabeth ross

That is great honey. Me too. Now if we just come up with the approx. $100,000 that they are expecting to price it at….

It is awesome, though. I could live in that thing for a month or two I believe.

Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 9:50 AM
To: Ross David

We need to get that. I want it.

Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 9:07 AM
To: elizabeth ross
Subject: may never be in our price range....

….but it is really cool idea!
cshontz said:
/glare

We will find a way. I'll sell (censored - too low brow) or something.

----- Original Message -----
To: "'Chris Shontz'" <cshontz@somewhere.net>
Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 1:08 PM
Subject: RE: earthroamer

> riiiiight
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Chris Shontz [mailto:cshontz@somewhere.net]
> Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 1:06 PM
> To: Jennifer Shontz
> Subject: Re: earthroamer
>
> Sub-100k!! I mean, crap - we paid more than that for our house and this
> thing is much cooler!
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Jennifer Shontz" <jshontz@somewhere.com>
> To: "'Chris Shontz'" <cshontz@somewhere.net>
> Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 12:57 PM
> Subject: RE: earthroamer
>
>
>> Lol. Wow. So, why is the lady in the kitchen while the man is laying
>> down?
>> That is cool but mega spensive :)
>
>
>

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
Now we're getting somewhere, a little baby 4x4 motorhome is what I've always been after. I sorta got stuck on Blazer Chalets myself, so that's the direction I going. Compared to other slide-in poptops, the Chalet has properly placed side windows for good outward visibility when you are sitting in the dinette, so assuming this thing has an itty-bitty seating area back there, I'd suggest raising the roof just a touch for two forward 'vista' windows, and add side windows, so you get away from the claustrophobic "bread van" problem.

(apologies to the original illustrator for my alterations)

Earthroamer Chalet.jpg

Last edited:

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
I would think that snowboards, skis, and bikes could easily find a home on the back of the vehicle. I imagine the roof could have a rack, it's just that the bikes/kayaks would need to come down before deploying the tent. There is also a saying... "he who tries to please everybody pleases nobody"

articulate

Expedition Leader
BajaTaco said:
I would think that snowboards, skis, and bikes could easily find a home on the back of the vehicle. I imagine the roof could have a rack, it's just that the bikes/kayaks would need to come down before deploying the tent. There is also a saying... "he who tries to please everybody pleases nobody"
And "form follows function." Good call, Chris.

Joaquin Suave said:
I have to agree with Upcruiser...
It was odviously designed by someone that dosen't...
What you notice as a drawback is the same drawback that has always existed for Wranglers. A roof rack on a TJ, YJ or CJ has to be folded back (an unloaded) if you want to put the top down - same function as deploying that tent. Where you indicate a downside to the ER vehicle is actually a downside to the classic Jeep.

It appears to me that the designers actually did a yeoman's job of affixing a large, comfy roof tent to a frickin' Wrangler without a roof rack.

You know what the problem is with the AEV Brute? Damn thing ain't got no back seat. The designer of that unit obviously doesn't have more than one friend....

SeaRubi

Explorer
"What you notice as a drawback is the same drawback that has always existed for Wranglers. A roof rack on a TJ, YJ or CJ has to be folded back (an unloaded) if you want to put the top down - same function as deploying that tent. Where you indicate a downside to the ER vehicle is actually a downside to the classic Jeep."

I can't imagine taking anything more than a weekend trip with the soft top on. If I were going on a serious trip, I'd be mounting the hardtop faster 'n you can say "windnoise" ! I need to get mine back on. I'm missing the rear defrost and wiper with the ice and snow piling up outside. THat soft top must be more shriveled than the dogs nads :smilies27

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior