Project Overlander-Build Thread

leman

Adventurer
how good of quality do those lights feel/ are they? ive looked at picking up some in clear and amber for cheep fogs.

alexfm

Explorer
how good of quality do those lights feel/ are they? ive looked at picking up some in clear and amber for cheep fogs.

They're ok. I havent got them wired up completely yet, but I touched the wires to the battery to get a feel for the light level, and they werent very bright, but I did that in the middle fo the afternoon , so that may have bad something to with it. I'll try and light em up tonight and let you know. I got the clear ones, they were cheaper. :) One thing I noticed though was that the casing is nowhere near water tight. I washed the Jeep on saturday and water got inside the housings on the foglights.

alexfm

Explorer
Ok, I realize it's been quite a while since I updated this last, but better late than never, right?

I cant get my Photobucket to upload my pictures, so you'll have to click on the little thumbnail thingys at the bottom this time.

One of those pictures is of my interior. You can see, i got a Thule Load & Go thingy my mom bought for like $6 at Target a few weeks ago, and a small 12V fridge she used to have in her van. Its not hooked up at the moment, I need to buy so auxillary 12V outlets to sick in the rear/cargo area.

Another is the rocker switch I put in to replace the original dome light switch in the cargo area. The factory one was all melted together! :Wow1:

The others are a side shot (IDK why, I had the camera already and i was bored. :coffeedrink:) and a shot of the front end with bumper installed. Took of the foglights because they were interfering with the grill shell. Im gonna drill some holes and mount them on the bottom of the bumper.

Thats it for now. Im working on a cheapo Microsoft Paint rear tire carrier rendering I'll upload a little later.

Attachments

• P1010896.jpg
    P1010896.jpg
    834.1 KB · Views: 61
  • P1010897.jpg
    P1010897.jpg
    762.1 KB · Views: 51
  • P1010898.jpg
    P1010898.jpg
    664.7 KB · Views: 50
  • P1010899.jpg
    P1010899.jpg
    671.7 KB · Views: 120
  • P1010900.jpg
    P1010900.jpg
    656.8 KB · Views: 40

Jeepsta

Im working on a cheapo Microsoft Paint rear tire carrier rendering I'll upload a little later.

Check out Google Sketch Up. It is way Free, and I use it all the time to design things. It is a lot better than paint...been there.

alexfm

Explorer
Check out Google Sketch Up. It is way Free, and I use it all the time to design things. It is a lot better than paint...been there.

I tried Sketch Up, but it didnt work for me. Something about the interface really bugs me. Paint works for me just to get the basic idea, I have Autodesk Inventor for the fancy designing. :sombrero:

alexfm

Explorer
Update!

So I got bored and wanted some stuff, So I wandered around on Amazon for days, and finally found what I wanted. I got a marine 12v socket for the cargo area (for my fridge!), The XJ Builder's Guide book, and a Fram AirHog filter. I also ordered so ExPo decals in tan as well. I dont have any pictures of the parts at the moment, but here is a picture of the decals on my rig.

alexfm

Explorer
Update!

Its been quite a while since I've posted anything in my thread, but I did some stuff that I think is post worthy, so I'll put it here. Im not sure if it was mentioned above, but I got a Valley hitch a few months ago, and just accumulated the money to order some JCR nutstrips yesterday, and they should be here in a week or so, hopefully. :) I also nabbed a receiver tow hook from Harbor Freight, as well as a hitch pin to with it. If I ever need to tow, I can just "borrow" my dad's ball mount, as he has a 2" receiver on his van. :) Not much else happening with the XJ, bedlined my rockers as they were covered in surface rust :coffeedrink:, and painted my faded mirrors with Krylon fusion gloss black. It actually turned out really nicely. :) I can post pictures if someone would like to see 'em. Just tell me what you wanna see.

alex.

alexfm

Explorer
UPDATE! I'll post pictures later, I gotta find a camera. :snorkel:

My nutstrips came in yesterday, and they are nice! Definitely worth the money, and I would recommend JCR if you need parts. Great craftsmanship, and excellent service. :D

Anywho, I haven not put t them on my rig yet, as I have not been able to remove my rear bumper. (I seem to have an awful lot of trouble with bumpers :sombrero: ) So Im gonna attempt to do that today. I did however, put in some D-rings in the cargo area. It worked well, but I need to figure out how Im going to tighten the one on the drivers side, as it goes through the floor completely, but the bolts I used are only partially threaded, and as you can imagine, I ran out of thread. :) Any insight would be greatly appreciated. :smiley_drive:

again, I'll try to post some pictures a little later, and I havent forgotten that I need to post pictures of my rockers either. :sombrero:

alex.

alexfm

Explorer
UPDATE! I'll post pictures later, I gotta find a camera. :snorkel:

My nutstrips came in yesterday, and they are nice! Definitely worth the money, and I would recommend JCR if you need parts. Great craftsmanship, and excellent service. :D

Anywho, I haven not put t them on my rig yet, as I have not been able to remove my rear bumper. (I seem to have an awful lot of trouble with bumpers :sombrero: ) So Im gonna attempt to do that today. I did however, put in some D-rings in the cargo area. It worked well, but I need to figure out how Im going to tighten the one on the drivers side, as it goes through the floor completely, but the bolts I used are only partially threaded, and as you can imagine, I ran out of thread. :) Any insight would be greatly appreciated. :smiley_drive:

again, I'll try to post some pictures a little later, and I havent forgotten that I need to post pictures of my rockers either. :sombrero:

alex.

After struggling with it for several hours, I finally mounted my hitch. :smiley_drive: I just need to pop a dent out of my rear bumper, and put it back on, and it'll be done. Pictures coming soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles