Post your Camp Awnings

mosupernak

Adventurer
Hi all! Didn't want to steal JonnyS's thread even though they are pretty similar. My friend and I will be Overlanding in Baja from May to June. I think some kind of awning/shade would really be nice to get out of the sun. Considering a freestanding shelter type or building one from the side (or more likely the back) of my runner.

Any thoughts on freestanding v truck-side and/or pics of what you all use could be a great help!

Thanks Marc

Last edited:

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Well I am enjoying my Hannibal awning. The pluses are fast setup and the ability to move the vehicle with the sun. I also have the side walls so I can use it to get out of the weather if need be.

DSC_4653.jpg

mosupernak

Adventurer
Thanks Gear and AdventureDuo those both look convienent and pretty rugged. I didn't think about having to move your setup with the sun.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
camping lab 79"er, here. Almost sold it, but realized that we can use it on an upcoming trip, so it'll likely stay in the quiver.

I'll find you a pic or two.

DSC06144r.jpg

DSC07145-1.jpg

off-roader

Expedition Leader
For those on a budget, couple of old tent poles and a tarp are an option.

That's exactly what I'm gonna do.

Beauty is, it should roll up nicely and fit in back. Alternatively I'm considering mounting a 6'x4"I.D. black PVC pipe, on my roof rack that it should fit into nicely when not in use.

:smiley_drive:

mosupernak

Adventurer
KSJeep, thanks for the post that was pretty much the same thing I was thinking of for a $ saver, simple, versatile components...& if it's damaged your out $35 bucks :) With my rear hatch up one of those could be really nice. On the other hand those Hannible ones look indestructible. Hmmm

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
My first draft is a slightly more fancy version of the "tarp and some poles" awning.

IMG_3696.JPG

IMG_3701.JPG

The car-side support is an expanding fiberglass painter's pole that is clamped to the top of my roof-basket with U-bolts. The tarp is fixed to this pole with strapping (into grommets in the tarp, including some added grommets where the originals didn't line up conveniently). To deploy I extend the pole and tighten the adjuster, then add the two expanding poles and some guy lines.

To store, I just collapse the painter's pole, fold the tarp so that it is only as wide as the shortened pole, then roll it up tight and fasten it to the pole and roof basket with a few wide velcro straps.

I did it this way because the roofline of the Subaru didn't give me much length for a tarp. Being able to extend the painter's pole allows me to use a full 8x10 tarp with only two poles and two guy lines. (The third in these pictures is to keep the leading edge pulled down into the evening wind coming off the bay)

Incidently, my "tent poles" are some sort of 4-stage collapsible aluminum poles for radio antennae or something, they'll extend to more than 25' long! (though not rigid enough to use this way at those lengths, very handy for getting kites and frisbees out of trees, ask me how I know). I got 'em from a local industrial surplus place here in SoCal.

mosupernak

Adventurer
Hirbie nice write up your set up seems really well thought out. I think I might steal your expanding painters pole idea. What do you use for straps to attach the tarp? Thanks Marc

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Pretty slick, Mike. You gonna transfer that to the "AstroCamper"?

I was thinking about it, since even with the Astro, I don't think I could get an 8' awning without the housing sticking out over the passenger door unless it expanded like this. On the negative side, while its easy to roll up and store on the Subaru because the rack is close to "head" height; on the Astro, it'll probably require at least a step-stool to reach the rack, especially after I put the lift on.

Hirbie nice write up your set up seems really well thought out. I think I might steal your expanding painters pole idea. What do you use for straps to attach the tarp? Thanks Marc

Plastic plumbing strapping like this: http://www.antonline.com/p_H21-050-GP_407794.htm

Its wrapped around the fiberglass pole, with stainless cap screws and locknuts, backed with fender washers on either side, through the metal grommets in the tarp. (So it goes: screw->washer->strapping->tarp->strapping->washer->nyloc nut)

Like I said, I had to add a couple of extra grommet holes so that I could put one of those straps right on the end of the non-adjustable part of the pole, etc.

JohnnyS

Explorer
Here's my old one, a Hannibal on an LJ Rubicon.
A buddy machined aluminum mounts that mounted it perfectly on the Garvin Wilderness rack, way cool.
The Jeep has been replaced by a 100 Series LC so the Hannibal has been shelved until we come up with a good way to mount it to the LC.
I'll be using the REI Alcove all by itself for now, eventually it will be the Alcove and the Hannibal..you can never have too much shade!

Attachments

• LJ Awning.jpg
    LJ Awning.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 545

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles