calmini snorkel

EricBirk

Adventurer
It absolutely kills me how they can charge so much for a formed piece of plastic and some hose clamps... its ridiculous.

Token

Explorer
It's not that is costs so much to make a piece of formed plastic.. It costs that much to make the form in the first place..

I've kinda been wondering if it would be feasable to take two pieces of vaccuum formed plastic, glue them together into a tube.. I've got a friend that does vaccuum formed plastics.. May have to stick my head in his shop tomorrow..

EricBirk

Adventurer
It's not that is costs so much to make a piece of formed plastic.. It costs that much to make the form in the first place..

I've kinda been wondering if it would be feasable to take two pieces of vaccuum formed plastic, glue them together into a tube.. I've got a friend that does vaccuum formed plastics.. May have to stick my head in his shop tomorrow..

I get that point for sure, but the fact still remains that they want $500.00 for a tube...

Even look at CAI's, the Nismo one is just a 3" or so metal tube with clamps and a gauze filter. How much did they want for that?? its crazy

RonapRhys

Adventurer

If one had bodywork skills, something like that shouldn't be too difficult to replicate. Maybe it's not done with the plastic but fiberglass, but since it's a long tube, it should be something that someone could recreate. It wouldn't be particularly easy to do it and make it look all fancy-like, but it could be done.

Now the cheap function before fashion version would be very easy. Some pvc piping and you're good to go. It'd just look a bit rough.

mcm4090

Explorer
Wow!!! That is at least $100 more than another major 4x4Parts shop is selling them for.

I believe it's the same price from AC but with no free shipping.

I know the price has gone up since you or I got your snorkels.:bike_rider:

OzX

Adventurer
If I go this route the plastic does fit well, I just wish they did a 'Dakar' style roof mount after seeing the trucks run this year's race. They make one for the titan. If I had any skills this is a great job built done by Oz.

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13602&highlight=snorkel

Hey Thanks! Its not the prettiest but it works great:

DSC_2673.jpg

DSC_2785.jpg

snorkel2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles