Unicell SRW

haven

Expedition Leader
Unicell is a company that makes fiberglass bodies for commercial vehicles. They built the shell of the camper that Don and Kim Greene are using in their travels through South America, and now New Zealand (See www.questconnect.org).

The Unicell web site has details of a truck body for Ford and Chevy vans called the Aerocell SRW that might make a good travel vehicle if you do not plan any rock-hopping off-road excursions.

srw_front.jpg

The streamlined body is of composite construction. The body is molded in one piece, including a skylight to brighten the interior.

The rear door has two designs. In the first, the rear panel is hinged at the top, and the entire back of the vehicle opens upward. The second design is a small double door like you'd find on a conventional van.

Windows are optional, and can be placed anywhere you want in the vehicle.

the Aerocell body is strong enough to mount ladder racks on the roof for extra gear, kayaks, windsurfers, and so on.

The Aerocell/SRW is designed to fit on a one ton, short wheelbase (about 135"), single rear wheel van. Dimensions inside the van body are:

--129" interior length at the floor

--75" or more width anywhere above the wheelwells
(enough to put a reasonably long bed sideways in the vehicle)

--74" or more interior height throughout

Here's the big reason to consider this van body: 430 cu ft of interior space, compared with 250 cu ft in a standard wheelbase Econoline. That's way more space than you'll find in a Sportsmobile.

More information here:
http://www.unicell.com/pdfs/UNC_SRW_FORD-USA.pdf

This year, both Ford and Chevy offer a diesel engine option in the one ton van, but neither offers all wheel drive. So you'd have to hire a company like Quigley (www.quigley4x4.com/) or Advanced Four Wheel Drive Systems of Salt Lake City (http://www.afwd.com/) to do the conversion (about $10,000). Or stick with a stock limited slip diff.

Unicell offers a range of options, including windows, side doors, and interior fittings.

Vans have great approach angles, and OK break-over angle, considering the long wheelbase. The Aerocell is not designed with departure angle in mind.
Since Unicell is willing to make custom modifications, maybe they could trim the sides at the back so they go upwards instead of parallel to the road.

The Aerocell/SRW van body is bulbous. It has kind of a "Conestoga Wagon" appearance that is starting to grow on me. I saw a van like this recently, and it looks smaller in person than in the photos.

Chip Haven

Rico24/7

I realize that this post is OLD, but a GM SRW just popped up on Craigslist. I was more than intrigued. The Biggest reservation that I have is: body damage. If someone or something collided with that body, I would think that you’re Done. Not Life/Death Done, more your ‘investment’ Done.

Repairing a body like that, if at all Possible, would require a very specifically skilled tradesman. Alternatively, a highroof on conventional steel bodied van would be repairable at any decent body shop (* Damage to sheet metal in collision, not Top).

I welcome perspectives ....

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I realize that this post is OLD, but a GM SRW just popped up on Craigslist. I was more than intrigued. The Biggest reservation that I have is: body damage. If someone or something collided with that body, I would think that you’re Done. Not Life/Death Done, more your ‘investment’ Done.

Repairing a body like that, if at all Possible, would require a very specifically skilled tradesman. Alternatively, a highroof on conventional steel bodied van would be repairable at any decent body shop (* Damage to sheet metal in collision, not Top).

I welcome perspectives ....

Most steel bodies transfer an impact through the whole body. Fibreglass will most likely only shatter and keep the repair to a limited area. Fibreglass also bounces back with small impacts. Aluminum on the other hand will stay indented or scratched. But aside from the repair issue I would be more concerned about the thermal efficiency. Metal is terrible. Fibreglass on the other hand will have close to zero expansion and contraction. This translates into a smooth finish all year long. Aluminum will show waviness in high heat.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Any boat shop that repairs fibreglass boats would be able to repair the body. Fibreglass is easier to repair than steel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles