100 Build

2000UZJ

SE Overlanding Society
So a few weeks have past and I pulled the factory torsion bars and reindexed them. After taking measurements I gained another .75" of lift. I have yet to wheel with the slightly different setup but so far it feels fine. I'm also planning on converting the IPF's (inner 2) to HID's and retaining 100W halogens on the outer 2 for flashing and quick use.

I'm in need of a new skid plate so I'll be adding something beefier underneath in a couple weeks.

2000UZJ

SE Overlanding Society
what are you doing for skids? I need something from ARB skid back.

Slee's skid plates, since it's pretty much direct fit and pretty well built. But my OEM ones are pretty beat, but can hold off for a few more trips.

2000UZJ

SE Overlanding Society
added some White Knuckle Sliders, tested them out at Amicalola last weekend and they are nice. Next modification is most likely some skid plates as mine have been destroyed pretty much. And rear bumper since my current on is being held on by 2 bolts. Sliders have 3 feet and are extremely well made. They were a touch over 6 bananas shipped. Which is 4 bannanas less than Slee's sliders (not knocking Slee, he makes great stuff). Which was a no brainer

IMG_0877.jpg

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

4867c607.jpg

a16eb2bf.jpg

and just for fun :sombrero:

pre-sliders...

be4d4208.jpg

f315ac4a.jpg

9f7133d6.jpg

88aff864.jpg

24036ffa.jpg

ab5d45ed.jpg

dafe4cfb.jpg

dcf26f20.jpg

ScottyDog

Adventurer
I happened across your build page doing some research for a friend of mine that recently purchased a 2000 UZJ100... and at first I was like 'damn this is one spoiled *** kid!'.... but your enthusiasm kept me into it and by the end you had me smiling!! Great story :) and a very nice looking rig... I think it was 4x4 fate that put someone in your path and to make you even think about wheeling it!! :victory:

BTW, what brand or type of paint did you use to black everything out?

Last edited:

2000UZJ

SE Overlanding Society
I happened across your build page doing some research for a friend of mine that recently purchased a 2000 UZJ100... and at first I was like 'damn this is one spoiled *** kid!'.... but your enthusiasm kept me into it and by the end you had me smiling!! Great story :) and a very nice looking rig... I think it was 4x4 fate that put someone in your path and to make you even think about wheeling it!! :victory:

BTW, what brand or type of paint did you use to black everything out?

Ya, most 1st cars are a Chevy Impala with 300K miles on them and oxidized headlights. I love this thing, I just cannot stop driving it and wheeling it. It's such a wonderful rig I cannot explain how much fun I have had in my cruiser. It's a blast to go out with people in. Absolutely amazing how hard you can push it offroad, then hop back on the road and cruise home at 75-80mph comfortably.

rustoleum flat black paint (high enamel). It's on everything black, it holds up great, handles heat from the brakes and does not really "bleach" from the brake dust that much. I touch them up every few months after being scraped up.

I need to update this thread :smiley_drive:

2000UZJ

SE Overlanding Society
I haven't really updated lately. I sold the 4 IPFs on the ARB, modified the factory bumper mounts so I can put it back on. Moved the factory trans skid plate lower so when I hit it, it won't fold into the transmission itself. I wheeled this weekend in the GA Trail Riders 1st annual event at RiverRock and looks like I have my work cut out for me in repairs.

Some of the things that didn't fair to well and need to be replaced:

Power Steering : Main seal blew going from the shaft into the rack, it's a class II leak (saturated parts, but no spraying). The pump is starting to have a "dirty" hiss and a "clean" whine, I flushed the entire system out, but no luck.

Skid Plates:Cracked the transmission skid plate in two pieces. Needs to be replaced. Bent the front ARB and main front skid up pretty bad.
c1c451aa.jpg

Rear Bumper: Broke that again, even after redesigning and reinforcing the mounts it was still ripped off, did not come off but it tore the mounts clean from the body.

Body and Paint: Came off several ledges, which caused my rear quarter panel to slam into multiple rocks and "kiss the wall" pretty good. Some of the scrapes are through the paint down to the metal. Those will need to be touched up. I don't plan on fixing the dents, since those will probably just happen next trip out there .
cb6545f6.jpg

0500fd66.jpg

7ad24cc5.jpg

Sliders: I managed to slide full force into the driver side slider, resulting in a rather large dent in the out rigger. I came off another ledge and slammed down into the slider so hard it actually flexed up and went into my rocker panel (it's not the sliders fault, I could of taken another line and chose the harder one, I have to sliders mounted as high and as close to the body as possible too)
1cffa036.jpg

Control Arms: Could not make it up a ledge, I had to back down and landed on a sharp rock. It took a good bite at the rear control arm (or trailing arm for some). I don't feel any pulling, but plan on fixing that issue sooner or later as it doesn't look good.

Rear Diff: I wish there was a true diff armor cover for the 100 Series, I took the first layer of metal off of it and was constantly getting hung up on the rear diff and driveshafts. I barber polled the DS pretty good.

Tires: Ran them at 26PSI and still had major chunking. No sidewall cuts nor flats which was good, but the tires seriously could of held up better.
73f2ad67.jpg

Here are some pictures since you guys probably don't want to hear about my problems lol

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srLIqQSdwRI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srLIqQSdwRI[/ame]

76c40697.jpg

790cc78a.jpg

d35589fe.jpg

f261c30c.jpg

DSC03898.jpg

DSC03897.jpg

P9180111.jpg

P9180112.jpg

0c3218e2.jpg

880f3450.jpg

index.php

Last edited: