Wildlife Photography

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Random stuff at my disposal....including one image I "altered" in PhotoShop just for fun.

Does that still count??

:sombrero:
Ed

pwc

Explorer
This is the first time I've seen one of these birds. Northern Harrier. It just swooped into our backyard hoping to grab some sparrows from our feeders.

PS, Africa is cool.

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
pwc said:
This is the first time I've seen one of these birds. Northern Harrier. It just swooped into our backyard hoping to grab some sparrows from our feeders.

PS, Africa is cool.

Harriers have a white rump in flight and a more owl-like face. Your bird is most-likely a coopers hawk. They love to eat birds off feeders. Cool photos. :clapsmile

pwc

Explorer
You know, you're right. I think. Looking back at the book it noted that Cooper Hawks are 14-20". Which way do you measure that? When I went foot to head it was closer to 8.5". Also, in one of these photos it looks like the brown on the chest goes all the way up, where as my Audobon book picture shows the Cooper with more white on the neck and the smaller Sharp-Shinned Hawk as more brown all around. So now I'm just confused.

Howard70

Adventurer
Both Sides of the Equator

Red Billed Tropicbirds off Isla Plaza Sur
Lonesome George (only know tortoise left from Isla Pinta)
Lava Lizard & Marine Iguana, Punta Espinosa, Isla Fernandina
Greater Earless Lizard, Caballo Lake, NM
Hummingbird (a primitive reptile, so if you want a more detailed name ask Chuck!) Western Foothills of Manzano Mtns, NM

Howard L. Snell

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
Howard70 said:
Hummingbird (a primitive reptile, so if you want a more detailed name ask Chuck!) Western Foothills of Manzano Mtns, NM

Female broad-tail hummingbird. :D

You must have tons of great pictures from your time on the Galapagos. :lurk:

rvrfish

Observer
coopers vs. sharpshin?

We have a coopers hawk that comes by our yard/feeder every once in awhile I thought it was a sharp shin but from you description that “Coopers Hawk frequent bird feeders” I’m assuming it’s a coopers hawk.
My wife and I would like to start bird watching this year it’s amazing how many birds you see if you just stop walking and start looking. We are waiting for a class from out local Museum of Nature history this spring. until then, we just have our Sibley’s
http://www.amazon.com/Sibley-Field-Guide-Western-America/dp/0679451218

can you recommend any other books that would help us?

Back to the birdfeeder and coopers hawk, totally amazing to watch the happy birds flittering around the feeder, then swoosh! predator run/fly away!!!! We have even seen the hawk go threw hedges after prey. some times he just swoops threw the yard and lands on the fence as if to say “I’m the king look out!”

O yeah, our humming bird feeder is a lot of fun also but I have bored you all enough…

Matt W

PS I too would like to see more pictures from the Galapagos.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Per a discussion with Chuck, I had to dig deep to find any wildlife photos in my stuff. Unfortunately nothing exotic like a Jaguar, (who can top that?) but I did find a couple of critters in my collection -

#1 - Momma Grizzly Bear in Yellowstone NP
#2 - Momma Griz in YNP, giving me "the look"
#3 - Bison in YNP
#4 - Wild (?) Peacock along the Salmon River near Shoup, Idaho
#5 - Young Ram on the road along the River of No Return Wilderness, Idaho
#6 - Adult Ram near Babb, Montana
#7 - Collard Lizard on the White Rim Trail, Utah
#8 - Chuck wrangling a Midget-Faded rattlesnake on the WRT, Utah

XXXpedition

Explorer
that's a hunterspider from down under (about 7" long)
IMG_8809.JPG

and a flying fox
IMG_9342.JPG

pwc

Explorer
I've got another "what is it?" that I can't figure out. This is in the Puget Sound area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles