Any desire for a Ford E-series Snorkel?

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
It turns out that having Expeditioneers local to me in Phx means that they are willing to mold up a snorkel for the Wheelchair Accessible Van for Expeditions...a 2008 Ford E350.

Not that taking a Sportsmobile deep into water is a plan but I am thinking in terms of dust and greater ease of access to the air filter for cleaning out trail dust.

The thought is that these might run as high as $500

Anyone interested?

r_w

Adventurer
Well, some vehicles don't need that deep of water with the stock airbox...

That isn't a bad price. Actually, a pretty good price if it includes a new airbox.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I considered it, but don't think I'll be crossing any water that deep! It may help get cleaner air to the engine, since the stock airbox brings in air from behind the d-side headlight.

It sure would look ultra bad *** though!!!

dsw4x4

Adventurer
I would be interested in one. I am going to build a snorkel for my van but if I could buy one I would rather do that. It cracks me up talking to people about putting snorkels on any vehicle especially vans. Everyone says the same things like I am not going to take my van in water that deep or what do you want that for. The simple truth is when I go camping sometimes it rains and sometimes creeks and rivers flood and sometimes you have to cross that creek to get to the other side (IE Home). Now I know that is a lot of some times however we camp and wheel all the time so the the probability of getting stuck on the wrong side of a swollen body of water is high for me while it may be low for most everyone else. It has already happened to me many times including Moab last year on chicken corners, yes the middle of the desert. I do not want to drive my van in 6 foot of water ever. But I would to be able to cross 3 or 4 feet and not have to worry about it should the need to occur. Here is were the simple math comes into play. You have a SMB fully loaded you paid major cash for and now your stuck on the wrong side of a creek or river. And you have to get to the other side with out the snorkel you hope it is not to deep and you hope you do not fill your engine with water. But all it would take is one hole or one rock and you and your van is now disabled in a swollen creek miles from help. How much would it cost to hike out get tow truck have your van towed to a town and and then have some podunk mechanic flush your tranny, engine, axles, not to mention you just filled up the lush new interior of you smb with river water for who knows how many hours. Or you spent 500 on a snorkel and drove out the other side and went home. If you stay moving forward in water very little water seeps into the van it is when you have to stop that everything becomes saturated.
Any thats my 63 cents worth, yes I think snorkels are well worth the money and would be interested in buying one.
Actually if you PM me I may be interested in selling those snorkels through coloradocampervan.

Last edited:

Adventurerider

Adventurer
I'm totally in :wings:and have friends that are looking for one as well, But needs to be both for 6.0 and the 7.3, but start with the 6.0 :wings:!!!!

dansvan

Observer
Here's mine.

p1010052.jpg

p1010054.jpg

p1010057.jpg

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Dan, Did you notice any performance or throttle response improvments? I like the way you got rid of the weak sauce factory snorkle but kept the good factory air box. Also I heard that the new P/U use a air box end cap that has a larger inlet. It's suposed to snap right on to the older air boxes.

dansvan

Observer
Maybe a very small increase. Not enough to notice like "wow!" I cut the small opening off of mine and installed a flexible coupler to the drier vent. Also cut out the restrictor up by the throttle body.

Adventurerider

Adventurer
Dan,

looks great, anymore pictures, any while building it? Any issues, things you'd do diffent next time, etc.?

Which engine do you have? Couldn't
tell from the pic's?

Cheers

Last edited:

r_w

Adventurer
That is cool. Slickest DIY I have seen.

Anyone put a prefilter on? Like on an FJ or a farm tractor, that spins most of the dirt out of the airstream so the filter stays cleaner longer. I don't think the FJ version flows enough air, but I don't know of an ag application that is small enough to fit under the hood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior