Ambu Build

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
That will be a very intense test ! Please, take your old mechanical fan, coolant and watch your engine temp and EGTs ! ! ! :smiley_drive:

110user

Observer
It will go on trips most weekend between then and now, but that will "seal the deal" as they say.

One interesting thing is that the EGT's are lower. I read this on a UK forum and found it hard to believe but it is true. I only get high EGT on the freeway up hills, now they are a bit lower.
Must be from increased air flow through the intercooler now that air can flow straight through.

Coolant...always.
Mechanical fan... no way, it is completely useless with out a new fan clutch.

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Groovy ! Glad you folks are getting away as often as possible.

Now, that is surprising about the EGTs ! Very good to hear :) Say, have you looked at the upgraded intercooler from Allisport that fits to the stock location ?

Good about the coolant. Did not realize that the old fan's clutch was shot, but then I should have read that other thread more carefully... :costumed-smiley-007 certainly not worth it, then.

So, back the the ambu-camper :D About how much headroom and elbow room and stretch-out room do you think you ended up with for all this good effort ? :)

Rangie

Hello, a question on Post 86 and the internal shot of the back of the ambu.....

The center bulkhead between driving position and rear area, how big a headache was it to create the opening?

From a few pokes around, it seems the bulkhead is around 2" thick and packed with glass insulation, was it a neat and easy job to remove it all and what way did you attack the job? Are the vertical sections either side of the opening and the horizontal piece on top, part of the original structure or did you install them yourself?

I like the idea of an opening between drivers compartment and rear area, but then I like the idea of keeping it contained too. As long as the structure isnt modified too much (i.e, pulling a bit of fibreboard and some wool out), I wouldnt be worried about affecting the rollover protection........

Alec.

110user

Observer
Hello, a question on Post 86 and the internal shot of the back of the ambu.....

The center bulkhead between driving position and rear area, how big a headache was it to create the opening?

From a few pokes around, it seems the bulkhead is around 2" thick and packed with glass insulation, was it a neat and easy job to remove it all and what way did you attack the job? Are the vertical sections either side of the opening and the horizontal piece on top, part of the original structure or did you install them yourself?

I like the idea of an opening between drivers compartment and rear area, but then I like the idea of keeping it contained too. As long as the structure isnt modified too much (i.e, pulling a bit of fibreboard and some wool out), I wouldnt be worried about affecting the rollover protection........

Alec.

this has been a subject of much thought and experimentation for me. I talked to some others and have concluded that you can remove a good deal of it with out reinforcing.

The easiest way to see it is if you remove the interior panels to expose the aluminum/fiberglass. there are two massive vertical sections behind both the driver and passenger. those must stay. There is also a bar near the roof, and a lower bulkhead that is about 1 foot from the floor that must stay. The rest can go with no worries, the structural vs. non parts are obvious because many of the non structural are held in with 2 rivets.

I hope that explains it... if you need a picture let me know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior