Ambu Build

110user

Observer
Jeff- I would love to take those holders off your hands! I also have to give you back some of the rangie bits, I used the filler plate...but not that locking stuff. Dunno when I'll be through Auburn next, but I need to get some fresh air soon! Are you getting snow at your house?

I got the filler partially squared away.

Used a range rover filler from Jeff. Hammered it flat, and cut off the studs.
Then I measured and cut the hole, this was a pain, I have an extra tank in line with the main rear tank (excel tank similar to safari equip), there are some structural bits in there I really wanted to not cut. Lining it up was essentially educated guessing, I wanted the filler as low as possible with still being able to make the angles.

I used a 5 in section of tube and two soft connecting bits, as it had to take a little turn to get to the input of the second tank. The filler plate (once made flat) fit perfect. I drilled and riveted it in, but only for temporary...I plan on galvanizing the filler plate eventually, and covering/sealing the inside. There will be a sink and stove above the filler so it really doesn't matter as long as it is sealed.

So far so good...:)

Attachments

• IMG_0308.jpg
    IMG_0308.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0306.jpg
    IMG_0306.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0307.jpg
    IMG_0307.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0309.jpg
    IMG_0309.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0311.jpg
    IMG_0311.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0313.jpg
    IMG_0313.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 55

110user

Observer
Jared, thanks for the link. nice site.
Your amby body looks to be a RAF version as you have the sink.
What is the "sink"?

The extra door is a good idea but would not have worked for me. I have an extra tank sitting there.

Swiss-
Sounds like a good college party mobile!

KingSlug

Observer
Look at the box in the front of the amby body on the RHS, usually a small sink was mounted there. Also the RAF versions had just two stretcher carrying positions on the LHS (one low and one hanging), usually the medics would sit on the RHS with the walking wounded (sometimes there were seatbelts the held at the hips and armpits). Mine has 2 in the lower position and 2 hanging positions for the litters. Also yours has turning/backup/brake which makes it a later 2/3 body style, but some 3s had the old turn/brake lamp setup.

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=38269&d=1267489043

http://vivalaant.files.wordpress.com/2007/01/lr3words.JPG

enjoy

Jared

Last edited:

110user

Observer
Thanks Jared, Very interesting. Mine did not actually have a sink when I got it... just a gaping hole.

Do you have any info on the rear awning setup that was attached above the rear doors?

Yorker

Adventurer
A regular GS is 3300 lbs as per the RN catalog, the wagons are 3700 ish.

I was thinking it was ~3470 for a 109 regular GS so that sounds about right.

edit]
Weight:
88" Basic: 2953 lbs
88" Station Wagon: 3281 lbs
109" Basic: 3459 lbs
109" Station Wagon: 3752 lbs
109" 1ton: 3886 lbs
http://www.lrfaq.org/IDAR/SeriesIII.html

Weight:
90: 3700 to 3950 lbs
US D90 (Basic): 3880
110: 4150 to 4520 lbs
US D110: 4848 lbs
127/130: 4590 lbs
http://www.lrfaq.org/IDAR/Defender.html

110user

Observer
The weight thing is really not a concern. The room gained is worth the weight to me. Plus I think I can fit everything inside, so no rack and lower COG... I love this thing!

On a side note, I am always amazed how much the middle doors weigh on a 110.

KingSlug

Observer
Those are tie-downs above the doors, although I have a pic of a amby going ship-board where the tie-downs are rigged but the main rigging its a beam below the frame.

I have put a conduit throught the holes and made a poor-mans awning with some old school collapsible Al poles from a camping store and some surplus canvas.

Are you missing a overhead vent or was plexi put in to provide light?

If you want I could trade you straight across your glass lenses for the later plastic lenses used on S3s and Defenders. Do you have the inside blackout light?

Where are you located? I am in SoCal.

Jared

Yorker

Adventurer
attachment.php

see how the interior differs:
amb3.jpg

Ahhh I see where you got the body from:
http://www.land-roverco.com/vehicle_ambulance.html

telwyn

Adventurer
You are living my dream with this ambulance build. I'm dying to do one of these and look at the PA Blanchard ones all the time on Ebay as they post them for sale. Haven't quite convinced my wife to let me pull the trigger, but I'm tempted to go ahead and surprise her. Figure it would ship nicely to the port in Miami or Tampa!

Look forward to following your build.

KingSlug

Observer
One more thing or a couple....

The hole in the back was for a heater unit to keep the back warm as it sat on cold mornings on hot standby. There was also an electrical connection but can't remember where that is right off, to keep everything powered while engine was off. Additional you might have a rack in the middle cubby section for an O2 tank, some had a small O2 in the back.

Jared

110user

Observer
Jared-
Interesting, I'm thinking of what to do in the rear and an awning is in the pipeline but not for a while

I do not have a full set of glass, but I do have a full set of the sockets and a couple glass pieces.... they are all yours. I'll PM you.

It came with one vent missing and a poor job of plexi-glass covering it. I will most likely get rid of the other and re-plexi them both.

I do not have an interior light... I have a hella florescent to wire but I would rather have a stock set... do you have a line on them?

Yes I did get the body from them... :)

I am in the Bay Area in california.

KingSlug

Observer
By chance, I do have a set of interior lights for the rear, one is cracked but will glue up fine.

Paddocks has a set of or dutch vents for the top (more leak resistant) but they are pricey and I like the light more then a anemic breeze.

Do the awning thing, it might cost you $40: conduit, blue tarp, camp poles and some 550 cord, but is makes a huge difference.

PM me.

Jared

JSBriggs

Adventurer
That filler looks like it will do the trick. I'm sure it was a alot of trial and error to get it in the right spot. What is your plan to cover the inside? Do you want the filler recess from the inner fender of the Range Rover?

Stop by any time, but no hurry on getting the leftovers back.

As for snow, we had a couple flakes mixed with the rain today and it was in the mid 30's.

-Jeff

110user

Observer
It was a pain to get it in the right place. Especially when cutting such a large hole. It will look great all cleaned up though.

Range rover cover could work, I'll look at some photos online. I was planning on using two of the tail light covers from the rear of a d90. but?

Teri and I may go out to sacrament to talk to our metal man (family friend) about some aluminum fab. So if your available this weekend... I'll email you once we get out plans in order.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94