Ambu Build

110user

Observer
It is about time I start a build thread so here goes.
After spending 10 months living outside the land rover in South America. We decided we needed to start living inside the rover. We met Karin-Marijke and Coen (http://www.landcruising.nl/lc_en) putting around a remote region of the Argentine Altiplano in their 1984 Bj45 with a 11in roof lift. It was a bit tight but they had minimal gear and could actually hang out inside comfortably. It was simple with no pop-top to cause trouble. It was a vision of a small live in truck camper. This style is perfect for international overlanding. It is able to sleep in citys unnoticed, simple with nothing to break, small enough to fit in a container and drive in tight places…plus the diesel is cheap!

Fast forward back to the USA. As soon as we got home I started researching alternatives for the next trip… knew I wanted to stay rover, decided a 130 was too long, I wanted it to be light and have room to live inside needed wider and taller. I though about making my own box, but I though it would end up heavy……Then I discovered the 109 Marshall body Ambulance. I found a body in Washington State and went for it.

Teri and I stripped the rear 2/3’s of the 110 in a couple days and with a borrowed Series IIa pickup cab and a chopped center bulkhead (thank you mr. Briggs) and set off to pick up the Ambu. We drove up in one day, in December, with Teri the dog and myself crammed in the pickup cab. With ductape everywhere we braved the northwest rain and arrived in Olympia, WA. With 10 solid hours of wrenching we started driving back to California with an ambulance on the back of the rover.

The ambulance body itself is extremely light and well made. Double walled insulated aluminum, trussed like an airplane with flush rivets. The paint is typical multicoat military peeler, but it is in near prefect shape otherwise. There are such well engineered niceties as a fold down rear gate, complete blackout blinds, metal bug screens, a safariroof, and plenty of SPACE! We have gone camping in it every other weekend to test out ideas and we love it. I’m about 6’3” and can sleep in it fine, there is sufficient room for a camper setup inside, with a fold down bench/bed.

We have a list (in no order):
-Cut wheel wells
-Make fuel filler (nothing exists)
-Completely remove center bulkhead
-Fit simple roll bar
-Make a rear bumper
-Remove paint and repaint.
-Make two large thin aluminum boxes for the roof
-Replace interior panels
-Rig a solar power setup
- Design and build living space with:
- Fold down bench/bed
-Locking security drawer
-Fridge
-Storage drawers
-Water tank, filter, pump, sink
-Stove
-Tool and spare storage

What I need to do soon is the fuel filler, as of now is is a hassle to fill up. I also have to decide what to use for the interior panels and how to cut the wheel wells and not look like poop.

I’ll be keeping a log of photos and ideas so I’d appreciate any advice, comments etc…..

Thanks!
-Steve

Attachments

• IMG_0312.jpg
    IMG_0312.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_0325.jpg
    IMG_0325.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_0331.jpg
    IMG_0331.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_0329.jpg
    IMG_0329.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_0330.jpg
    IMG_0330.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 231
  • ambulance_4.jpg
    ambulance_4.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 949
  • IMG_0211.jpg
    IMG_0211.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 449
  • IMG_0338.jpg
    IMG_0338.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 455

SeaRubi

Explorer
now that is pretty darn nifty. I like how everything is flush with the width of the truck, and the nice bevel for keeping a decent departure angle. very slick :beer:

edit: the windscreen being integral to the ambulance body is pretty intense! haha - just noticed that!

cheers,
-ike

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Very cool. When I was at PA Blanchard's in York a couple years ago they had about 30 of them (109 ambulances) parked in a row. I was thinking then, "I should really get one of those to make a camper."

Last edited:

110user

Observer
Thanks All,
The windscreen is held in by about 50 screws and 4 bolts. Interesting setup. I actually swapped windshields because I adapted one to fit the defender bulkhead...the 50 screws were a bit of a pain but it will never leak!

Ambulance gathering ehh? Sounds awesome. I found some cool camper conversions online from the other side of the pond.

I made some headway on the fuel filler this evening thanks to a RRC filler plate from Jeff Briggs. Worked it flat to fit the side... I'll post pics later.

gjackson

FRGS
Very cool. When I was at PA Blanchard's in York a couple years ago they had about 30 of them (109 ambulances) parked in a row. I was thinking then, "I should really get one of those to make a camper."

Any idea where they were headed? :drool:

cheers

bobtail4x4

Adventurer
Blanchards still have them, they are about 25 miles from me,

the reason they are still there is they are basically scrap but they want top doller.

110user

Observer
Rumor is that RN brought a bunch in to convert to pickups/SW's.

I heard they were selling the bodies cheap 5-10 years ago, but most are on the wrong coast. Some people are using them as storage sheds!

JSBriggs

Adventurer
About time you posted up! I'm curious to see how the filler turned out.

BTW I removed the under bed fuel can mounts from the MOD tub. They are your's if you want them.

-Jeff

gjackson

FRGS
Rumor is that RN brought a bunch in to convert to pickups/SW's.

I heard they were selling the bodies cheap 5-10 years ago, but most are on the wrong coast. Some people are using them as storage sheds!

I called Rovers North about this and they said they no longer have any bodies. May have already got sold off, but none left unfortunately.

cheers

gjackson

FRGS
Blanchards' selling the Ambus for GBP895 which is $1336 right now. Interestingly they also have a Centaur!

cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior