73-87 Chevy/GMC Pickup's

ccarley

Adventurer
Alright, I know you are looking for truck pics... and only up to '87, but I figured I'd throw in my '89 Suburban since it's the same body style ;)

DSC_0770.sized.jpg

4" Explorer Pro-Comp spring lift
Bilstein 5100's (waiting for the 5160's for the front)
BFG A/T 35X12.5X15 on Centerlines
ORD swaybar disconnect (although I never disconnect it)
TBI 350, TH700R4, NP241, 10-bolts with 3.73's & gov-loc in rear.

I also have a quad headlight GMC core support & grille... to get rid of...

Anyway, good luck with your build!

D

Deleted member 9101

I love the old chevy's and they top my list if I am ever in a position to build a all out expo truck.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
:smiley_drive: Here is a pic of my 78 Chevy with Huge canopy....
Canada1125-1.jpg

One would think that it is top heavy, but it is engineered to bypass that problem!:safari-rig:

Wow... Memories came flooding back when I saw this thread! My Dad had two late 70s Chevy trucks. One might have been a 77 or 78, but I remember Dad complaining about a second one he bought for field use in addition to his older welding truck. It seems it broke a cam shaft or something each time a new one was replaced, so a different year model engine was installed. It was a red pickup, very high up, manual with a low gear, 4WD with manual hubs. I drove it to school whenever my car was down and Dad didn't have his crew driving the truck that day. I sure can remember the smell inside, the sounds of the motor as I drove it and changed gears, even the way the stick knob felt in my hand and the resistance in the stick as I went from one gear to the next. I remember Dad testing its braking characteristics on the somewhat-rocky caliche parking lot in front of the house (yes, we lived in the country). That thing started jumping up and down higher and harder as it came to a stop, and I could see Dad trying to hang on and taking a beating. What caused that?!

I really do miss a stick... I may have to see about getting one put in my Scout II, which is currently automatic 2WD.

Thanks for bringing back the memories... :cool:

matt s

Explorer
Alex, Ha! Be careful, the next thing you know you will be surfing the net for pics of them. Then craigslist. Then using some better search to hit craigslist all over the country until you find just the right one. Then you purchase sight unseen and begin the love affair.

Ask me how I know!!

orangeTJ

Explorer
I went to a wrecking yard and found a replacement portion of the wire harness, as well as a trailer "T" style pigtail, and fixed the shoddy wiring.

I replaced the 6 pin plug with a 7 pin, and put it in the bumper where the 6 pin was, which is where the factory puts the license plate light:

DSCN5372.jpg

DSCN5371.jpg

DSCN5369.jpg

DSCN5370.jpg

orangeTJ

Explorer
I installed a relay behind the driver side tail light, tapped it in to the back up lights, and will run a new wire from the battery to the relay to power some aux back up lights.

DSCN5374.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles