73-87 Chevy/GMC Pickup's

cowboy63645

Adventurer
As the title states, is there anyone out there that uses there 73-87 Chevy/GMC pickup's for expedition use? I picked up a new "project" a few days ago and I have searched everywhere and can't find many that use this body style truck for overland travel. Got a pic?? Post it up!!

xpndbl3

Adventurer
lots of box body style suburban buildups on here, I had a post about mine a few pages back. Still haven't done anything besides sleeping bag it in the back yet though while camping/hunting

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
I run a square body truck. It has been my never ending project truck 15 years. Lots of pictures at the Flickr links in my signature.

3705963499_48457596f3_b.jpg

3725306006_59172ddb24_b.jpg

2801585157_d5451e6d2b_b.jpg

4224473486_bb97fddc71_b.jpg

AZ Strip Trip...pics
http://www.flickr.com/photos/11889582@N08/sets/72157620771534282/

cowboy63645

Adventurer
Absolutley amazing truck!! I have looked at your build a few times to get some ideas for mine. One question though, how did you go about mounting the rack to a fiberglass shell without cracking it?

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
The roof of the topper is fully reinforced by SNUGtop with built in tracks to mount the basket (the basket came with the topper). It looks like they have a large piece of plywood or something ncased in the roof sheets of fiberglass. I can’t remember the exact weight rating of the roof but it was around 500 lbs but I think the rack is only good for around 300 lbs. When my skinny butt walks on the roof it doesn’t even flex, creak or anything. The truck has been twisted up like a pretzel several times with no signs of cracking anywhere on the topper ….yet. If I were to do it over again, I would have bought a FlipPac though. It would be nice to have more room!

cowboy63645

Adventurer
The Flip Pac is really a neat camper shell!! I will have to get into contact with them and see what those go for. Would be a nice addition to my build!

The roof of the topper is fully reinforced by SNUGtop with built in tracks to mount the basket (the basket came with the topper). It looks like they have a large piece of plywood or something ncased in the roof sheets of fiberglass. I can’t remember the exact weight rating of the roof but it was around 500 lbs but I think the rack is only good for around 300 lbs. When my skinny butt walks on the roof it doesn’t even flex, creak or anything. The truck has been twisted up like a pretzel several times with no signs of cracking anywhere on the topper ….yet. If I were to do it over again, I would have bought a FlipPac though. It would be nice to have more room!

I have the same SnugTop model. 500# is correct...great for watching races while reclining in your favorite chair! :sombrero:

As the title states, is there anyone out there that uses there 73-87 Chevy/GMC pickup's for expedition use? I picked up a new "project" a few days ago and I have searched everywhere and can't find many that use this body style truck for overland travel. Got a pic?? Post it up!!

What year is it?

spacer

Observer
From '88 until 2000, I had a '74 K10. It was my "signature" truck, you know, the one everyone identifies you with when you're growing up (unless you go through a lot of vehicles).
It was a burnt orange color, and the front driveshaft lay rusting in the bed, but it never got stuck. I guess it helped that the trails were usually dry... Oh, wait... I did get it stuck in a sand dune once.
Over the years, the old '74 took my dog, my rifle, and me through countless miles of desert trails and dry creekbeds, and was just the thing for bombing down the endless network of dirt roads in that part of New Mexico.

Now, my primary vehicle is a Trailblazer, but I also have Earl, a grey '86 Silverado, as I'm the kind of guy who just isn't comfortable without a pickup truck. Unfortunately, Earl is a two-wheel drive truck, but that didn't slow me down in the '74... but I'm living in a wetter climate now.

I'd love to set Earl up as a back-road exploration truck, maybe even building or buying a pop-top camper... or even just a bed-tent. I would like to upgrade the rear end with a selectable locker, like an ARB, and while I've just bought a set of road tires, I'm always on the lookout for a good A/T tire deal.

3858989275_17e7a48679_m.jpg

roamingaz

Explorer
I have a '76 Chevy, this pic is when I first bought it and I have since removed the light bar and hi lift on the front bumper.
I love old chevy's

july2010011-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94