The shoe fits but what caused the blister?

Pedro

Capitan rally fluffer
Interesting. Definitely let us know on the outcome with the toe socks as liners. I have not used those before.

To combat exessive moisture in your boots, you can also try using a talc powder (goldbond ect) if that is the main cause of the blisters.

Flounder, I also work in the footwear industry. Although I am not a buyer, we may have crossed paths depending on who you buy from.

d1sc0ver

Adventurer
I've had boot-fit problems before due to my half-sized 9.5 feet. What I do is buy a half or whole size up and wear a good sock liner w/ smart-wool socks. The liner and sock will not take care of the boot-fit, but your feet will swell up anyhow...to a dedgree, so always buy bigger. To remedy the narrow foot, or small ankle problem, use a 'sherpa knot'. A sherpa knot will pull the cuff of the boot tighter before you ever tie the knot, you can actually see it working and feel it as you tighten the lace before tying the knot.

Sherpa knot is also know as lock-lacing:
http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/locklacing.htm

paulj

Expedition Leader
I've had boot fit problems for years. Part of it, I think, is the my heel is relatively narrow, more typical of a woman's foot than a man's. For most part I've given up on boots because they are too stiff (producing heel lift), and do not cup my heel enough. Instead I stick with low cut trail shoes. Several Merell models have a narrow enough heel to work with my feet.

Admittedly a shoe does not provide the protection that a boot does. I worry less about the ankle support, and more about the softer footbed.

When I was using boots, I had best luck with taping my heels before the hike. Tincture of benzoine and Durapore style tape were the best combination.

I also tried all sorts of sock combinations, including double layers ones. Now I mostly use Smartwool (or equivalent) socks.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Interesting. Definitely let us know on the outcome with the toe socks as liners. I have not used those before.

To combat exessive moisture in your boots, you can also try using a talc powder (goldbond ect) if that is the main cause of the blisters.

Flounder, I also work in the footwear industry. Although I am not a buyer, we may have crossed paths depending on who you buy from.
I buy from La Sportiva, Scarpa, Vasque, Exofficio, Patagonia, Merrell, Asolo, Five Ten, Salomon, Kayland, Ahnu, Teva, Chaco, Olukai, Keen, Sorel....ya, for a retailer it's a ton. I'm also a raging footwear nerd beyond help.

Zatara

Adventurer
I'm a fan of Keens and recently bought a pair of their Oregon hiking boots.
Mainly because I liked the Keen Targee shoes I had and these are based on those made into a hiking boot. That and they fit GREAT !!
However, they have the Keen dry stuff which is Keens version of Gore Tex and my feet don't breath well in them. They are great for winter and wet activity though.
I'm looking for a good pair of desert hiking boots now for spring/summer that breath well. Maybe Danners ??
Any thoughts ?

Alchemyguy

Observer
I'm no boot fitter, but I know how to deal with blisters; duct tape before they form. We carry small quantities when we backpack and stop to slap some on hot spots before they get any worse. High quality socks help prevent hot spots, and if you can keep them from progressing to blisters you're doing well. Air your feet out and dry them off at the end of the day, and even consider changing your socks mid-hike if they're wet.

Yorker

Adventurer
I'm also a raging footwear nerd beyond help.

I think it is interesting to see how few sizes are produced today. I can't quite remember the exact # but the US Army QMC (talking WW1-WWII era) used to stock 100's of sizes. That was back when infantrymen still depended on their feet as their primary means of transport and there was a decent understanding about what was required to get an ideal fit. If you needed a 9 1/2 EE left and a 10E right you could get issued them.

Nowadays the bulk of shoe manufacturers seem to want to cram you into a pair of ill fitting shoes, and MAYBE supply a 1/2 size or a wide. It is frustrating.

Edward Munson's work on the sizing of shoes is interesting. I'm not saying we haven't made advancements since the Army Shoe Board of 1912 but in general there is far less attention paid to the fit of shoes today than there should be.

http://books.google.com/books?id=fr...AA#v=onepage&q=army shoe board munson&f=false

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
That is why you buy boots based on the fit, not by the name brand. If one brand of boot in a 12 is too small, and 12.5 is too wide, try another brand. All the brands have differing widths and fits, because they use different lasts.

One problem I find is some boot makers tend to build boots that fit comfortably in the store, but will not actually function well for hiking. Typical of this is padding that is soft. You put the boot on in the store, and it feels like a slipper. This isn't actually what you want in a hiking boot. You want something that is firm and supportive, but that will eventually break in to fit your foot properly.

You don't want a boot that has any ridges or anything like that that you can feel inside, but you do want firm padding that might not be perfectly comfortable in the store. Even if you have pressure points, they will usually break in over time.

As for the GoreTex... I could see why it would not be needed in the desert. But some form of waterproofing is necessary where I hike, because it's often wet. I've never had a problem with GoreTex boots. But I do wear good socks.

Sometimes even the best boot will cause blisters when new. Or particularly if you're a new hiker. The boot, and your foot, need to break in. Go on short hikes, or just wear them around the office for a few days, until they break in. Good boots, because they are firm, they need time to break in, and there's no way around that.

+1 on the Superfeet. Gel insoles and all that stuff are crap. I pretty much have to put Superfeet in all my footwear now.

Yorker

Adventurer
That is why you buy boots based on the fit, not by the name brand. If one brand of boot in a 12 is too small, and 12.5 is too wide, try another brand. All the brands have differing widths and fits, because they use different lasts.

That would work great if everything about the quality and features and style of the differing brands was equal- but it isn't the case. Additionally limited size ranges exist over most brands often forcing people with wide feet to go to shoes longer than they actually need in order to get the width they require. In a world of compromises-feet suffer.

[edit] Also you have to consider that what feels "best" in a store might not be the best actual fit.

Last edited:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Can't argue with any of that. Luckily there are enough quality brands that I've always been able to find a good fit. I find Salomon works well for me.

By the way, as a "certified" fitter and footwear buyer, I've noticed fewer and fewer companies are producing 12.5 sizes. Plus, I've noticed many manufacturers don't have size specific lasts.

Hello!

When are we going to start getting hiking/trail/work boots in America that are an A-width? When people stop abusing themselves with junk food on a regular basis? I just saw for the first time on Red Wing's web site boots available in an "H" width?! WTH?!

Otherwise, I have to get custom-made boots.

Nowadays the bulk of shoe manufacturers seem to want to cram you into a pair of ill fitting shoes, and MAYBE supply a 1/2 size or a wide. It is frustrating.

Edward Munson's work on the sizing of shoes is interesting. I'm not saying we haven't made advancements since the Army Shoe Board of 1912 but in general there is far less attention paid to the fit of shoes today than there should be.

You're darn right about today's shoe makers. I hate them all because of their approach to maximum profit and one-size-fits-all. That leaves me with only one option - custom boots that can cost at minimum in the upper 3-digits.

There is far less attention paid today because people in general are not active and abuse themselves at the dinner table in the most horrible way - ask the diabetic members of my family. Even one of them is type-1! Destroyed her pancreas! What am I supposed to do when everyone is hooked on junk food!?

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Hello!

When are we going to start getting hiking/trail/work boots in America that are an A-width? When people stop abusing themselves with junk food on a regular basis? I just saw for the first time on Red Wing's web site boots available in an "H" width?! WTH?!

Otherwise, I have to get custom-made boots.
You might try Oboz Yellowstone boots. Certain brands trend narrow. Oboz is a new company out of Bozeman Montana. Excellent product and a few models are easy fit for narrow feet. The Oboz Wind River is a NOLS recommended boot. I've got very narrow feet as well and I found the fit of some Oboz shoes to be perfect.

http://www.obozfootwear.com/site/oboz-womens-wind-river.html

Vasque also makes a number of boots in narrow and wide widths.

An initial review

You might try Oboz Yellowstone boots. Certain brands trend narrow. Oboz is a new company out of Bozeman Montana. Excellent product and a few models are easy fit for narrow feet. The Oboz Wind River is a NOLS recommended boot. I've got very narrow feet as well and I found the fit of some Oboz shoes to be perfect.

http://www.obozfootwear.com/site/oboz-womens-wind-river.html

Vasque also makes a number of boots in narrow and wide widths.

Then I have to correct you and clarify things a bit. Oboz nor Vasque do not make a narrow boot, but merely a medium-width boot that "happens to run a LITTLE narrow." Definitely not classified officially as a narrow-width boot (must be B-width or less). We have Vasque boots at REI, and I have never had good fitting from them because my foot is low volume coupled with a very short instep.

However, it appears to be problem solved.

SKINNY-FEET PEOPLE LISTEN UP NOW!!!!!!!!!!

The problem may be solved now for some of us. You may want to try out work boots instead of hiking boots, but get good-quality ones. It has to do with the way they are cut and fit your feet. Today, on a hunch, I went in to talk to my Red Wing salesman, my go-to for when I have A-AA width customers (when I find this out on the measurement device, I don't even bother fitting them with our shoes and instead send them straight to him). I currently wear a couple of Red Wing hiking boots, though they are not the best fit, but had been the best fit I found in my entire life. One thing I found out about Red Wing boots with glued-on soles - Red Wing will not resole them. They're disposable boots, though I have worn them for around 200 days each pair per year for near-four years. Not these, as they are welt-stitched with the stitching hidden by a band molded to the top outside edge of the outsole. These, RW will resole them for you and recondition the leather (they won't replace damaged leather uppers, though) for about a third of the cost of new boots. I first tried on a pair of B-width men's work boots and then the women's version. I wanted to try the men's first because I had never tried men's boots before. It didn't work, as it was too big, even when adjusted for men-women size conversion. I tried on the women's version, and presto! It seems to be solved! These are women's Red Wing model no. 2326, available in different widths, only up to size 10, though!

2326.jpg

http://www.redwingshoes.com/productdetails.aspx?prodid=1182

I tried them on just to see what would happen. It was like magic! They fit just like in the photo! No puckering in front of the tongue base. A good fit from just behind the ball of the foot, all around the foot's body including the arch, and the instep. They fit like a GLLLOOOVE (like Ace Ventura says it after parking the truck)! I mean they really do! They are not gore-tex, so these should breathe a bit more than my other boots. I was VERY surprised! I had never seen a normal tongue distribution on hiking boots on my feet before as show below!

:wings:

I'm wearing them as I type in order to break them in. Occasionally, I'll get up and walk around for a couple of minutes. There are no pressure points, just pressure across the top of the foot, and once in a while, I'll loosen the laces across that area to relieve some of the pressure. It's odd and completely opposite of what I usually have to do, which is cinching them up beyond puckering at the tongue base in front of the laces. There is very little heel lift (a little is okay), and definitely no toe contact in the toe box, even when I put the foot back and kick the ground toe straight down. There's plenty of wiggle room in the toe box. The outsole doesn't have quite the aggressive tread that the hikers do, BUT my camping style and work schedule allows me to skip rained out camping trips and reschedule them to dry days within a week or two. I do NOT like to camp when it's raining (no-no for my hearing aids). Plus, I'm not a backpacker, but do like to have the support for long day hikes.

To complete today's story, I recalled that I still had a pair of the RW hiking boots brand-new in the box in storage from the day I bought them over 3 years ago (I have a habit of buying extra pairs in case they go extinct, and as soon as I prove these out positively, I will be buying two more pair so that I always have something to wear when one pair is being resoled), so I asked if there was any way that I could return them in exchange for these, and I would be willing to pay the difference. They said yes, since they had my name and transaction record on file. It turned out to be an even exchange, and they even threw in black shoe cream for my old boots for free! This is awesome customer service. That is how you stay in business after all these years!

It seems like these are a good fit!

Attachments

• IMG_0942.JPG
    IMG_0942.JPG
    214.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Then I have to correct you and clarify things a bit. Oboz nor Vasque do not make a narrow boot, but merely a medium-width boot that "happens to run a LITTLE narrow." Definitely not classified officially as a narrow-width boot (must be B-width or less). We have Vasque boots at REI, and I have never had good fitting from them because my foot is low volume coupled with a very short instep.
t!
I never said they were classified as a "Narrow." I simply said they trend narrow, just as goofy Keens aren't classified as "Wide" yet you could put a clown foot in there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste