Project T100: "Baja Explorer Ver. 2"

G100

Adventurer
tstege, yea it is a pricey decision, but I knew what I wanted and I couldn't be happier with it. When I ordered mine I requested a lot of special modifactions and the guys there did it all perfect. Your quote seems high but about right, with windoors and a rack, from what I remember windoors were a pretty pricey addition as well as adding a color. Definately have them put the felt on the roof. Curious how much weight do the say their rack will hold? Would love to see a picture when you get it.

tstege

Observer
They told me it holds 300#s and is really low profile. For me that is more than enough for surf boards or a canoe, though I would love to have a custom like yours. The price I got was for windoors, rack, metal window security screens, and a color which adds about $800 more to the total. I will definitely have them add felt that is a good idea as I will be in it alot. Once I finish school at UCLA I will be back to fire fighting with the Forest Service and plan to live out of it for training and travel. I will post some pictures for sure, I just have to sell the fiberglass shell on there now first. Also spoke with them about potentially cutting me some extra rack material and making a couple slots with holes on both sides of the truck so I could use coder pins to attach an awning and she said they could easily make that happen. They do offer a handle now for closing it from the inside as well. So I guess $2800 is pricey but installed with taxes and everything I want I guess its not to bad.

tstege

Observer
Holding off on the Tradesman maybe!

G100 not sure until tomorrow but I think I found a good used Aluminum shell with barn doors going to see it tomorrow. So hopefully I do not have to pay for a tradesman. It is the same dark green as my Tacoma and the only thing missing are windoors on the side. Anyway if this works out I am going to be copying you on carpeting and insulating it myself and possibly installing windoors myself. I already secured a nice bed platform for my exact truck from a guy who sold his rig. Anyway I was wondering where you got the felt carpeting and how you attached it on the inside? Any considerations for moisture at all can I just cut foam install it and cover it? Thanks for any feedback, Tyler

G100

Adventurer
Tstege, nothing more exciting then getting a shell. I didn't install the felt on my second tradesman, I learned that leason on my first one. The reason I mentioned having the factory install the felt is because they apply the felt in one big sheet before they attach it the roof, very clean look and helps it stay up if it starts to unstick. If you have to do it yourself your going to have to do in multiple pieces because of the roof support bars. I am not sure where I got the felt the first time, I think the best stuff you can get at a boat store, cause it is like mildew resistant or something, but then your paying boat store price. Check out this thread it talks about it. As for the doors, and around the windows I used Dow Blue Board styrofoam. Here is a picture that might help with some of my explainations, soon I'll take and post up some pictures of all the stuff that I have done inside my shell. Good luck, pay a little more and do it right and only cry once.
felt01.jpg

Allof75

Pathfinder
Very very nice build. A friend of mine had one of those t-100s for many years, used to go to MLB games with it. Of course yours is much nicer/cooler. Your fabrication skills and determination are amazing. Keep up the good work!

P.S. How do you get those night shots, where you can actually see the car and everything?

OndrejT100

P.S. How do you get those night shots, where you can actually see the car and everything?

Tripod and turning up the exposure time. Can be tricky, time consuming and a bit of trial and error.

The T100 looks good. Definetelly looks like some fine craftsmanship.

PoindexterS

Awesome!!! I have been looking into this recently for my T100. Some folks say they did it and saw no mileage difference. I think it has to help as the only thing left turning when unlocked is the tires and wheels. And with the lift I put on (ToyTec) my CV axles are almost too steep. This will help in that they will only turn when locked in. Thanks for the pictures and write-up!

Ok, I did my Mile Marker manual hubs two weekends ago and I am proud to report I have seen a fairly significant increase in fuel economy. First full tank of fuel (mid grade) run trhough tank and I went from a previous average of 16.5 mpg to a whopping 18.3 mpg. That was at hwy speeds of 73-74 mph. Also first leg of trip was 110 miles and into a strong (20-25mph) head-wind.
I have also noticed a much reduced and easier feel on the steering wheel when turning and city driving. Previously driving the same speed (hwy 70-75mph) my cruise control would down-shift or unlock the torque conv in overdrive on every single little hill or incline, it would also do this sometimes going into strong head-winds. Now it holds in overdrive locked up torq conv possition and rarely unlocks or down-shifts and this is only on some of the longer or steeper inclines. Remember I live in west Texas and work in eastern New Mexico so hills are few and far between! So overall I can say the hubs will pay for themselves quickly and there IS a significant reduction in rolling resistance when hubs are unlocked and nothing is turning up front except wheels and rotors! YAY for this mod!!!

tstege

Observer
Carpet and insulation

G100 thanks for the feedback. I ended up going the cheep route and picking up a nice ARE white utility shell with barn doors in the back and side doors with no windows on the side. I got it for $250 then put new locks on it so $300 so far. Now I am trying to decide if I should carpet and insulate it??? I am thinking of using the blue foam that you have pictured above with some good adhesive on it and that would make the whole roof and sides one big smooth surface, as it would be level with the aluminum supports. Then I was thinking from there I could carpet over the whole thing using adhesive and possibly rivets to the crossbars that would be hidden under the carpet, this would eliminate the need for all the little pieces of carpet. I was wondering what you thought about that or if it even makes any sense? Since the front window is busted out I am just gonna build a boot like you did as this is what I have been looking for. Any feedback would be great as I am in no hurry and open to suggestions. Also I am planning on sanding her down and using a good primer and then some textured tan rustolium paint, so it will look kinda like a jeep hard top and tan is better on my dark green tacoma. All in all I am thinking all of the supplies should be around $125

tstege

Observer
G100, I had a question regarding how you attached your boot to the camper shell? Did you just make the entire boot and then screw through your "tabs" and into the Boot? I have mine almost done though it is a little thicker as I had to make up for the slope on the ext. cab Tacoma but don't want to do it wrong. Thanks Tyler

G100

Adventurer
tstege, sorry about the delay in response I have been down in baja for the last three weeks, congrats on the shell seems like you got a good deal. I would definately a least carpet it on the inside if you are planning on sleeping in it, I remember seeing a thread on here about insulting aluminum shells maybe you can find it. Your idea of Dow Blue foam between the support bars with carpet over it sounds like a good idea to me, it might make your shell seem a little smaller with the reduced head room but it would be a great way to insulate it. As for the attaching the boot to the shell, I screwed small stainless screws through my tabs into the plywood backerboard, then I sealed it all up with a mairne adhesive. Where's the build thread?

tstege

Observer
G100 sounds like a fun trip, I am jealous. I cannot wait to be done at UCLA. Anyway I am glad there was a little delay, I actually ended up stumbling onto a way better shell that is made for my truck by six-pac for $200 in Bakersfield last night. So I drove up and grabbed it. It is in perfect condition and looks the same as the ARE just a little taller and the craftsmanship seems a touch better. Also now I don't have a larger gap between my cab than normal as with the ARE retrofitted. I did start a link I am a little bad about posting pictures but there are some there. Thanks for the tip on insulating it I plan on doing that once I get some windows installed. I will do a full write up of the process on the build. Anyway hope your trip was good I am planning on going down once I get new suspension and a locker for my 2wd! here is the link to my build http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/76570-2001-Tacoma-SR5-camper-build-%282WD%29?highlight=2001+tacoma

G100

Adventurer
Ugrades for Baja 12'

Here are a couple upgrades I made before my Baja trip:

New Platform:

The thing that started this whole project was I found a piece of linoleum that would fit perfectly in the back of my truck to cover up my nasty piece of plywood that is saturated with oil, dirt, and who knows whatelse. I liked the look of the linoleum so much I couldn't get myself to glue it down on such a nasty piece of wood. So I bought a new piece of ply, which then led to buying new 2X6s, which led to aluminum edgeing, which led to painting it black, before I new it, my free piece of linoleum cost me over $100 in materials. But I am happy with the results.

Old nasty plywood platform (when it was fairly new):
SideTable_03s.jpg
SideTable_02s.jpg

New linoleum platform with aluminum edgeing:
NewBack1.jpg
NewBack2.jpg

and I came up with some cheap legs so I can pull it out and make a nice big table:
back7.jpg

just a 2X4 and a cariage bolt with the head cut off:
back8.jpg
back9.jpg

Wheel chokes:
Since I was going to be taking my little Honda CT70's with me on this trip I figured I needed to come up with a good way to them pack up quick, easy, and solid. So I came up with these wheel chokes. They worked great on the trip.
NewBack3.jpg

held in place by some little studs, quick and easy:
NewBack5.jpg

One on each side:
NewBack6.jpg

Still lots of room for gear:
NewBack20.jpg

Surf racks:
I siliconed some pipe insulation tubing on to the roof bars to pad the boards. Then added some anchors to the sides and in the middle and made some adjustable nylon straps.

NewBack18.jpg

Paper towel holder:
Lastly, I'm always needing paper towels, so I need a place to keep them out, but out of the way:

NewBack19.jpg

I just made two anchor points with rings use a small bungee cord with clips to hold the paper towel. Its pressed against the roof so that it doesn't un-ravel.

BajaRunner

Bandito
Love the incognito surf racks. My dad always did that. I always keep my boards inside, don't want someone following me to a secret spot ;)

grimbo

Explorer
what a great build, nice attention to detail, great workmanship and is built entriely to suit specific needs. Thanks for posting

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier