Project T100: "Baja Explorer Ver. 2"

Onegen

Your thread is an inspiration. Im attempting to copy some of these mods sometime soon. I live in Santa Barbara, if I see your truck I'll definitely say hello.

G100

Adventurer
So stoked to see that photobucket is back to showing the photos again, hopefully this thread can be useful again now that the photos are back up.

As for my truck, it is still doing its thing with 270,000 now. My family now even bigger with two kids and dog are still traveling and camping comfortably inside it and don't feel like we need anything bigger. It is still and always will be a work in progress. I'll try and get back to posting about some of the changes and modifications I have done in the last year. I should be getting my custom Deaver leaf springs in a week or so and I'll throw up some photos. For now here is a shot from this years summer baja trip, 5 weeks down to the east cape and back.
TripBack_30.jpg SummerBaja2018_20.jpg

G100

Adventurer
So I broke 2 leaf springs on the the driver side while heading home in Baja last summer, the only one left was the primary, didn't want to risk it, so I had a guy down there replace one of them with some spring he found in his personal junkyard. When i got back I knew I need to replace so I ordered some custom ones from Deaver. I asked for 0-1" of increased lift over stock height, and told them to tune them for an extra 300-500 lbs in the bed mostly for when I'm down in baja on the washboards. It took about 7 weeks to get em', I thought I'd have them on in a day . . . Nope. Of course nothing is as easy it seems in my head. Rust is starting to be an real issue, I ended up having to order new "hanger pin" kits ($95each side) and shackles for the back on both sides ($300). Then once I got the springs on, because of the amount of leaves in the spring pack, they interfered with the parking brake cable.
IMG_1088.jpg

Not to hard of a fix, need a simple extension, did a quick google search and got some ideas.
This post helped>
My version of the solution:
IMG_1084.jpg
I used 3/4 X 1/8 stainless angle

IMG_1086.jpgIMG_1089.jpg

With broken springs:
IMG_1080.jpg

With the new Deavers:
IMG_1214.jpg

At first it felt and looked a little higher then I wanted but after some driving around, it has settled to right where I want it, I am happy with em'.

Took it up to Big Bear and played in some snow a little recently.
IMG_1059.jpg

Chuckles89

Wow! ************ truck! Hopefully one day, I'll have something with the build quality and attention to detail as you have done. Right now, I'm running my 3rd gen 4Runner on a college budget, but it gets the job done.

My long term goal is to have a Chinook camper on a T100 or 3rd gen pickup with a minimalistic platform with drawers style build out in the back. I love my 3rd gen, but even with a short platform, headroom is not enough.

kster

G100, nice set up. I really like the low profile rack set up. Now that you're traveling with a couple of little ones, how is the bed of the truck set up? Do you all sleep in there, or are you doing a ground tent?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles