Has anyone imported an Africa Twin lately??

Mike Serpe

Observer
Has anyone done this lately? There are a handful of these awesome machines that are around San Francisco, I see them every once in a while, but......does anyone know what the import rules are for these.....or are they here illegal?

I rode one in Greece, and it was such a lovely motor, like a small Vstrom motor, so smooth, like a fine sewing machine.

also anyone seen the newer Cagiva's here in the states at all? (another gray market bike now that they stopped in 2002 importing them) Harley bought them 2 years ago, now resold (we all knew that was going to fail....Harley is in the financial straits bad)

Scott Brady

Founder
Fortunately, bikes are easy. Especially in AZ. Just bring it in and then take it through inspection (like you would with a dirt bike converted to be street legal). It may be different in your state.

I know a few guys have them in the US. That little 750 Twin is a sweet bike.

alosix

Expedition Leader
I vaguely remember some screwy CARB rule that made it basically impossible to tag an imported motorcycle in CA. I still need to find it again, stumbled across it when searching out to register a 25 year old D110...

jason

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
You guys probably wouldn't know about importing in to Canada? I REALLY want a Yamaha XTZ660 Tenere. I checked the RIV website, and it seems to basically say if it's not built to US specifications, it's not importable. I find that surprising. Bikes don't have any crash testing or anything like that so... why would they restrict it?

BTW, we have the Honda XL1000V Varadero in Canada, which is a really nice bike, if a little big. Might be easier for you to import from Canada?

scarysharkface

Explorer
I vaguely remember some screwy CARB rule that made it basically impossible to tag an imported motorcycle in CA. I still need to find it again, stumbled across it when searching out to register a 25 year old D110...

jason

I *believe* it needs 6k miles on the odometer before you can tag a previously unlicensed/untitled bike in California. I read that over on advrider.com if memory serves, but don't recall exactly if it relates to importing a bike or tagging a dirt bike..

efuentes

Explorer
If somebody needs one badly, I have a lead on one in Guadalajara. :drool:

Hope I could buy it, but there is no way right now.

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
A letter of compliance (with US DOT and EPA) from the US agent of the manufacturer (Honda will not issue one in US...thanks big red). In fact, Honda has no contact info on their US website, only a customer service number, which a friend of mine in the states called. She told me the person at Honda who answered her call had never even heard of the Africa Twin.

The bike must have stickers that say it complies with DOT and EPA (Japan built Africa Twins do not). Without these, one can hire the services of an ICI (independant commercial importer). I recieved a quote from one in california who had never heard of an Africa Twin either. The cost was 2,500 US dollars base price, plus 1,500 for EPA testing, plus 1,500 for an application to wave DOT compliance. I wrote to another ICI in Florida, but have not recieved any reply. I got the names of these companies from the EPA website.

On top of this, one must pay duties and taxes at the border. See the US customs website for these. On the EPA website, they do say that a vehicle without an engine, is technically not a vehicle. Without an engine, it becomes "parts" and the EPA does not regulate "parts." If you can, listen to the Johnny Cash song, "One piece at a time."

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
Here's one that is/was available in St. Louis. Why screw around trying to bring one in when they come up for sale now and again.

Or see if you can sneak one in and register it. The worse thing that will happen is that Customs chased down you a-- and they crush the bike. We Americans lust over AT and Varederos because we can't get them, but in reality much of what we can get KTMs/BMWs are better.

Honda Canada brought the Varadero in a couple of years ago, here's a quote from the Canadian web rag OneWheelDrive

"The first top-heavy flop into a series of turns in Niagara's wine country reveals the Varadero's distinctly old school feel. Despite the stability provided by the long 1,560 mm (61.4 inches) wheelbase, tipping into the turns is light and easy largely thanks to the wide bars and the narrow 150/70R–17 rear tire.

The Varadero more falls into turns rather than elegantly transitioning, likely owing to its whopping 276.7 kg (610 pounds) weight, including all fluids and a full 25L tank. Compare that to BMW's R1200GS Adventure at 256 kg (claimed) while packing 33.0 l of fuel, which is oft decried amongst Adventure riders as “too heavy”. Indeed the only thing heavier than the GSA is it's price."​

The AT isn't a Varadero but it is of the same vintage and suffers from some of the same weaknesses.

My 0.02

Jim

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
Or see if you can sneak one in and register it. The worse thing that will happen is that Customs chased down you a-- and they crush the bike

It's not that simple, the vin #'s are not the same as the ones used in the US. They will throw up a flag as soon as you try to regester it.

There are loopholes however, if your are in the military and are stationed overseas for more than a year you can bring one back and register it. Or if you are from another country and move here you can bring one with you and get it registered which is the way the few that are already here got here.

goodwoodweirdo

Adventurer
His & her's
Just to show you, what you miss...... great bikes, I rode my AT 8000 kms to Jordan... has a few weak points which are easy to fix or change....

IMG_3133.JPG

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
His & her's
Just to show you, what you miss...... great bikes, I rode my AT 8000 kms to Jordan... has a few weak points which are easy to fix or change....

IMG_3133.JPG

Great bikes! I had a XT600Z Tenere also while living in Germany.... Great bike!
At one point I had to choose between a Aftrica Twin and a Yamaha XTZ 750 Super Tenere. The Tenere won... Less servicing and more power. Loved that bike!!! Put over 100.000km on it within 3 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior