New U500s

There are four newish U500s (long wheelbase) for sale on Ebay, 1-7000 miles, $70-82K. Very good prices. Last chance to get the best USA legal chassis for a large expedition camper till 2010. No problems with overloading, like certain other chassis.

Charlie

Scott Brady

Founder
Those trucks are impressive in person. Huge actually. I believe Unicat used one for a build recently.

I would really enjoy a long weekend test with one, after that, I would be wanting more:av-7:

Yes, Unicat did use one to build a camper. I own it. It is currently in Palo Alto Calif; we are going to Baja in April and will be driving it to Alaska in May. You can inspect it on the unicatamericas website.
Charlie

HINO SG

Adventurer
Anyone know what the status of the North American UNIMOG is?

Most recent updates on the official site are about a year old & I havn't seen one at the Minneapolis dealer in quite a bit longer than that.

There are still 2006 and earlier U500s for sale and allegedly they brought quite a few in prior to 2007. 2007-2009 models will not be imported due to 2007 EPA emissions but when Euro 5 comes into effect in 2010 they will start bringing them in again, Since Euro 5 exceeeds 2010 EPA. But, as mentioned, new or near new U500s can be found and the earlier ones are (relatively) cheap. $70-80K is a great price for an almost new U500. None of the 4 on Ebay had CTIS; only one had the electro-automatic shifting (which works great on mine). Those two options are worth about $11K. All had working gears (5.77 low range) and one had the heated windshield, all have at least basic hydraulics. The cheapest one is just a cab-chassis, the aluminum bed is pretty expensive and of course un-necessary to build a camper.

Charlie

HINO SG

Adventurer
Thanks- not that I'm actually in the market for one but I know a few people who are kind of interested.

That sounds like essentially what I'd heard awhile ago but couldn't remember details or a source.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz