"Safari Cab" modular hardtop project

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I guess being modular, there is no reason why someone couldn't assemble a top for a YJ that runs a TJ Unlimited soft top (i.e. been stretched)?
I almost forgot... I did a concept drawing of a YJ stretch early in the design phase of this project... this one's stretched to Scrambler length though...

YJ-L.jpg

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Man, I gotta say, I'm not a Jeep person. There was always just something about them that I didn't like. But I'm lovin' your LJ full cab! It's just a little bit... classier.... looking than standard. Awesome work!

haven

Expedition Leader
Welcome to ExPo, Jeff!

I agree that the diecast model mod is outrageous. If you included a model
truck with the sale of the Safari Roof, you'd double your sales!

Overlanders are always mounting heavy stuff on the roof. Have you estimated
the weight that can be carried on the roof? It might make sense to cast a mounting
point reinforcement into the fiberglass so the roof rack can be supported by a cage
inside the bed of the truck.

I'm thinking of the Jeep Overland project that came from the Mopar Skunkworks, and
now is in the Expeditions West test fleet. Inside, the rack supports attach through the
roof like this:

523250852_TVwAR-XL.jpg

523250906_L6PRw-XL.jpg

The thread where this is discussed is here
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31401

Your CJ pickup project is also very cool. Can you provide a link to your
build thread?

Chip Haven

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Welcome to ExPo, Jeff!

I agree that the diecast model mod is outrageous. If you included a model
truck with the sale of the Safari Roof, you'd double your sales!

Overlanders are always mounting heavy stuff on the roof. Have you estimated the weight that can be carried on the roof? It might make sense to cast a mounting point reinforcement into the fiberglass so the roof rack can be supported by a cage inside the bed of the truck.
I've designed a support system that uses the roll bars to support the weight on a roof rack, although it's a little different than the MOPAR system. If the Safari Cabs make it to market, the support system might be an optional accessory, since not everyone who buys one would necessarily want to carry weight on the roof.

Your CJ pickup project is also very cool. Can you provide a link to your
build thread?

The build thread for Gaucho (my CJ pickup) is on JeepForum: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/gaucho-cj-stepside-pickup-build-709132/

The build thread for the Retro Wrangler (my TJ pickup) is on CJ-8.com: http://www.cj-8.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18796
OtherTops.jpg

jingram

Adventurer
Jeff,

As always absolutely amazing work... you truly are a master craftsman in every sense of the word. I definitely look forward to seeing how this plays out and truly hope they make it to market... they look great!

The LJ and Scrambler ones are my favorite, just because I think that the longer wheelbase with the safari type really has that "look" to it. :lurk:

What a neat project, and it looks GREAT!

I didn't see any, but what about adding a large sunroof to the sloped front end. A big part of the reason folks get jeeps is for the open-air-ness of them.

I've been thinking of getting an LJ Rubicon as a 2nd rig, primarily for expedition setup, and would be really interested in a more functional top, but would really want a somewhat opening top.

I second the classic looks of this project, very cool

EDIT: I don't see what's modular about these???

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I am planning on sliding windows.

The components I'm building at the moment fit CJ/YJ/TJ Jeeps. The company and I have talked about me doing a JK Safari Cab hardtop next, but I'm not even going to think about that until the current project is done. I've done a few concept drawings of a JK Unlimited with a raised rear roof section, I think it would be pretty cool...
Don't leave out the 2-door when you get to JK mode.

And I'll volunteer to test fit it.

Where are you located anyhow?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
What a neat project, and it looks GREAT!
Thank you very much.

I didn't see any, but what about adding a large sunroof to the sloped front end. A big part of the reason folks get jeeps is for the open-air-ness of them.
I don't plan to put a sunroof in mine, but there's no reason you couldn't put one in if these come to market.

I've been thinking of getting an LJ Rubicon as a 2nd rig, primarily for expedition setup, and would be really interested in a more functional top, but would really want a somewhat opening top.

I second the classic looks of this project, very cool

EDIT: I don't see what's modular about these???

Here's how some of the parts of the mold masters go together. If they come to market, the company could mold them like this, or they could mold them in fewer pieces to make manufacturing more efficient, they would have to decide that when (if) they commercialize them.

Assembly1.jpg

...there's no reason you couldn't put [a sunroof] in if these come to market.

So you're saying they can be ordered with one, or the customer could put one in after the fact?

Here's how some of the parts of the mold masters go together.
Assembly1.jpg

I see, but these parts won't come apart for the customer though right?

That would be cool if you could remove the sides/rear and just have the top, but I'm sure that's asking a bit much.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
So you're saying they can be ordered with one, or the customer could put one in after the fact?
In my talks with the company so far, there has been no discussion of sunroofs. I don't think they're planing that it would be a factory option, so probably you'd have to do it yourself.

I see, but these parts won't come apart for the customer though right?
The minimum number of parts they will disassemble into would be 4: roof, 2 sides, rear door. But as I said in the earlier post, they could be molded in more parts than that, for example, the sides could be molded in three parts - door surround, side panel, rear corner. That's a manufacturing and commercial product decision the company will have to make. I am making the mold masters completely modular, so they could be molded a number of different ways. Also that enables the same masters to be used to build different configurations of top - for example, the door surrounds plus the rear corners together can make a half cab. Put a side panel between them and you can make any length full cab.

BTW since the top can be disassembled, it can be stored in the "soft top season" much more easily than a top that doesn't come apart.

That would be cool if you could remove the sides/rear and just have the top, but I'm sure that's asking a bit much.
Well since the sides and the roof come apart, that could be done, but since the sides support the roof, you'd have to come up with some structure to support the roof.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
If/when I get my YJ-L done interested in building a one off for me? I'll do the unskilled labour part. :) I'm north of Perth, Ontario.

I'm only half joking. :)

Sorry, no, I'm only going to make a top for my LJ, and possibly my Gaucho pickup and maybe any other future project Jeeps I think up. If I did this for money it would take all the fun out of it for me :). Any other tops that that get made would be made by the company if they decide to bring them to market.

I let the company know I started this thread so they can monitor it for market interest, feature requests, etc., so if you're interested in seeing these come to market you can let the company know through this thread.

---------------------
Questions about the Safari Cab? Try here first: Safari Cab FAQ

---------------------

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior