"Safari Cab" modular hardtop project

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
Very interesting

This is my first post on "the portal".

Very interesting project. I have one suggestion regarding the larger side windows. Would it be possible to have them hinged at the top, latched at the bottom, so as to have them open outward for access to the rear of the Jeep? The truck cap manufacturer Jeracho offers a similar system on some of their caps, and calls them "windoors". I am currently investigating modifying my LJ hardtop windows to do exactly this. For our expeditons, we do not keep the back seat in the LJ, as it is used for cargo only. It would be oh so convenient to have access to gear from the sides.

I also note that your FAQ mentions that the tops are being made for the TJ wrangler, but does not mention the LJ Wrangler. Your prototype is being built on an LJ though, correct?

Hope to see it done at the Spring show in PA.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Very interesting project. I have one suggestion regarding the larger side windows. Would it be possible to have them hinged at the top, latched at the bottom, so as to have them open outward for access to the rear of the Jeep? The truck cap manufacturer Jeracho offers a similar system on some of their caps, and calls them "windoors". I am currently investigating modifying my LJ hardtop windows to do exactly this. For our expeditons, we do not keep the back seat in the LJ, as it is used for cargo only. It would be oh so convenient to have access to gear from the sides.
For TJ's and YJ's, the rear door will open like a "barn door" instead of having a separate hatch and tailgate; the door will consist of an "upper door" that attaches to the rear tailgate in a similar concept to half doors and uppers.

Would this be more convenient than the hatch/tailgate combo for putting stuff in the Jeep?

RearDoorViews.jpg

I also note that your FAQ mentions that the tops are being made for the TJ wrangler, but does not mention the LJ Wrangler. Your prototype is being built on an LJ though, correct?
Good catch, that was an oversight. I've corrected the FAQ. Yes, the first top made will be for my LJ.

---------------------
Questions about the Safari Cab? Try here first: Safari Cab FAQ

---------------------

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
I guess I did not explain myself clearly. I was referring to the side windows, not the rear window. On a standard TJ/LJ hardtop the side windows are fixed. I would like them to be openable from the outside to afford access to the rear cargo/back seat area. My suggestions to you was to consider such an option for your project.

Personally, I think the integration of the barn door is a neutral point. I do think you are optimistic in planning to use that thin upper window section as a potential speaker mount. They will have to be surface mounted, and will probably get beaten to death.

Jim K

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I guess I did not explain myself clearly. I was referring to the side windows, not the rear window. On a standard TJ/LJ hardtop the side windows are fixed. I would like them to be openable from the outside to afford access to the rear cargo/back seat area. My suggestions to you was to consider such an option for your project.
Yes, I understood that, I was asking if the rear barn door was an acceptable alternative. Apparently it is not :).

oz97tj

Observer
Yes, I understood that, I was asking if the rear barn door was an acceptable alternative. Apparently it is not :).

For different applications, I think the barn door is a great idea and very useful. Especially if used as a camper of sorts. Then again, it would be nice if there was a way to open the gate while in the jeep too.

Something else to consider: If this is modular, then maybe make a different top that is a pop up tent...

jscherb

Expedition Leader
For different applications, I think the barn door is a great idea and very useful. Especially if used as a camper of sorts. Then again, it would be nice if there was a way to open the gate while in the jeep too.
The same basic mold masters will be used with different hardware to implement either a top-hinged "liftgate" or a "barn door" that's attached to and swings with the tailgate.

The company could decide to implement either the barn door or the liftgate, or possibly to implement both as options for the commercial top. That's one question they are seeking input on. I think they consider the liftgate as easier for them to implement (they have experience with liftgates, and, no special hardware is required to attach the upper to the tailgate as in the barn door case), so if the consensus was for the liftgate I suspect that would be fine with them.

I plan to implement a barn door for my LJ - I got used to having one on the CJ-8 World Cab that was my daily driver for years (photo below); for my use I found it much more convenient than the TJ's liftgate/tailgate combo or a CJ's liftgate/hinge-down tailgate combo, although I understand different people have different desires and needs.

BACKDOOR.JPG

Something else to consider: If this is modular, then maybe make a different top that is a pop up tent...

I have considered different roof styles, below is one of my early rough concept models with a raised rear roof section. I decided to make the master for the "normal" height roof first, since most of the other roof styles I plan can be derived from that one single master, but other roof styles could definitely be built. I do have to admit to no experience or knowledge of rooftop campers (maybe I shouldn't admit that in this forum :) ), so I'd have to team up with someone who is knowledgeable to design one. But you're right, the modular design means that the roof panel could be swapped out at any time, with no changes to the rest of the panels.

SafariLJStepF1w.jpg

Last edited:

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Hey there Jeff, glad you decided to post it up over here. I am sorry that you will again have to answer the same barage of questions, but I am sure people will love this top! I hope this might help "the company" to choose to make this top, so that I may one day stand a chance of buying one.

Welcome to ExPo, Jeff!

523250852_TVwAR-XL.jpg

Chip,

You can ALWAYS find the BEST photos for links! That is exactly what I have been thinking about for this top, and I expect very similar to what Jeff was planning on doing.

Very cool, thanks.

By the way, just so as it gets said, and so all can see it...

One of the things I really like about this top, aside for the super cool shape, is the fact that when the top is removed from the jeep you can lay the sides and tail gate into the roof and store the thing in a very minimal space. The idea of a typical hard top hanging in a typical garage is irksome, but this would tuck up so nicely against the rafters you would not even know it was there.

Brian

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
One of the things I really like about this top, aside for the super cool shape, is the fact that when the top is removed from the jeep you can lay the sides and tail gate into the roof and store the thing in a very minimal space. The idea of a typical hard top hanging in a typical garage is irksome, but this would tuck up so nicely against the rafters you would not even know it was there.

Exactly my thought as well.

bigwalton

Observer
Is it just me or doesn't a pop up camper top require bed length, so:
1. an LJ is the only possible option that doesn't require a custom tub, maybe a Scrambler, but even then it's not going to be for tall folks and
2. If it's an LJ only option, wouldn't it require you to remove the rear roll bar to even make it feasible? The roll bar sits ********** in the middle of the area you'd be trying to use to camp in.

Doesn't sound like something that too many folks would want to get into...

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Actually the concerns are minimal when it comes to doing a mondulted RTT into a top like this. The bigger problem is that is has already been done. Go look at the one that Adventure Trailers have built and is going to begin selling at the Expo this year. (It is on here somewhere)

I do not think that it would be wise to try to turn this into a tent, besides the competition, it would really weigh the thing down a lot, and detract from the beauty of it.

Besides, if you purchase (or build your own) the optional roll cage tie in you could easily put an RTT up on top of this bird.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
...Chip,

You can ALWAYS find the BEST photos for links! That is exactly what I have been thinking about for this top, and I expect very similar to what Jeff was planning on doing....

Brian

Actually, no, it isn't similar to what I've designed... :) but what I've designed may be patentable, so I'm not going to post the design on a forum in case the company decides they want to patent it.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
...I have one suggestion regarding the larger side windows. Would it be possible to have them hinged at the top, latched at the bottom, so as to have them open outward for access to the rear of the Jeep? ...
So far from the feedback we've been getting sliders are by far the most popular type of window requested. I'm guessing the company would offer one type of window with the top, but the idea I had about other types of windows is that the window opening size could be registered with a window company that does custom windows for the retail market - that way if someone wanted a window other than the one the company chose to offer, they could contact the window company and order the window style they want, properly sized.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Pretty much everything I've posted in this thread so far has been concept drawings or models; I thought you might like to see the real thing... here's the roof panel, ready for the final finishing work before molding. Next step is to perfect the surface with automotive high build primer/sealer and do some block sanding., but I'm going to finish building the side panels before I do the final surface prep on this one.

RoofSealer1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles