3rd Gen 4Runner - missing factory skid plate?

radwulf

Hi all. I have recently discovered this forum, and I'm getting a very good vibe from it. :)

I've recently become the happy owner of a 99 4Runner Limited, and I have a question for anybody familiar with this model & year:

What is the full list of all factory skid plates / underbody armor? I have a feeling I'm missing a piece. On the driver side there's some sort of a 10in x 50in (approx.) plate, starting behind the front wheel. There's no such plate on the passenger side. Am I missing something? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Are you talking about plastic skid plate on the driver's side that covers the fuel filter area (not really armor).

radwulf

Not sure exactly what it covers (it is in line with & front of the fuel tank though), and yes, it's plastic, on the driver's side, and it has a jack point label and hole on it. I'll try to get some pictures when / if my batteries recharge.

This was a Carmax car and they have that 5-day money back thing. So any complaints to them about missing stuff would probably be a lot more effective in this short interval. :)

Bighead

Adventurer
Not sure exactly what it covers (it is in line with & front of the fuel tank though), and yes, it's plastic, on the driver's side, and it has a jack point label and hole on it. I'll try to get some pictures when / if my batteries recharge.

That plate is only on the driver's side...there is not a matching plate on the passenger side. I don't have the driver's side on my 4Runner anymore. It was ripped off somewhere on Behind the Rocks.

As for the skidplate count, you should have the 2-piece factory front skid plate, plastic plate on driver's side, small skidplate attached to transfer case and the gas tank skidplate.

radwulf

Well, it appears I have the full set of flimsy or otherwise factory armor. Thanks to all, and extra thanks to Mr. Bighead. You guys are great.

Hopefully I'll soon get over the exaggerated obsession with the car and its condition. :) I was shocked to find it equipped with the factory rear locker :Wow1: even though I had asked them beforehand, was told it's not, and resigned myself to buying it without. The drawback is that now I'm too attached to it emotionally. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12