4 Weeks - Wyoming, Alberta, U.S. Pacific Coast

jhmoore

Recently back from four weeks living out of my 4Runner in Wyoming, Alberta & on the U.S. Pacific Coast. Was planned for more like 6 weeks, but (a) the wildlife was pretty scarce in Wyoming & Alberta, (b) there were too damn many people, and (c) turns out that boondocking along the PCH is pretty hard--especially in summer! Some of that would have been solved by starting earlier in the year, but this year some family stuff kept me from hitting the road until mid-June.

I was on my own for about 20 days and my youngest was with me for about 10 days. When on my own, I just lived out of the 4Runner (I have a nice sleeping platform in the back). When my daughter is with me, she gets the sleeping platform in back and I sleep in a tent. As much as I love my 4Runner, after doing this style of travel on multi-week trips for a number of years now, I think I'm ready for more comfort. Getting to an age where I now have to get up to pee at night is a large part of that. Really annoying. So will be thinking about what kind of travel I will be doing in the future.

These trips are generally wildlife photography trips, though this year the PCH was supposed to be landscape photography. But PCH really didn't work out at all.

For the first set of photos that I've processed from this year's trip, see https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0y55Z2WM0xgd9

<< CLICK HERE -- TRIP PHOTOS >>

Last edited:

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
This year the wildlife has been VERY scarce in Alberta. We had a insanely hot spring and VERY dry since March, toss in the smoke and all that has changed the wildlife pattern for sure. I was out once this year earlier in the spring and was surprised I did not see more. Usually a lot of wildlife out till late July then they are hard to find but this year they never came out like usual.

jhmoore

This year the wildlife has been VERY scarce in Alberta. We had a insanely hot spring and VERY dry since March, toss in the smoke and all that has changed the wildlife pattern for sure. I was out once this year earlier in the spring and was surprised I did not see more. Usually a lot of wildlife out till late July then they are hard to find but this year they never came out like usual.
Yeah, that's really what I encountered--both in Wyoming and in Alberta. Wyoming I'm super familiar with; Alberta was new to me this year. Weird year.

clark_henry

Recently back from four weeks living out of my 4Runner in Wyoming, Alberta & on the U.S. Pacific Coast. Was planned for more like 6 weeks, but (a) the wildlife was pretty scarce in Wyoming & Alberta, (b) there were too damn many people, and (c) turns out that boondocking along the PCH is pretty hard--especially in summer! Some of that would have been solved by starting earlier in the year, but this year some family stuff kept me from hitting the road until mid-June.

I was on my own for about 20 days and my youngest was with me for about 10 days. When on my own, I just lived out of the 4Runner (I have a nice sleeping platform in the back). When my daughter is with me, she gets the sleeping platform in back and I sleep in a tent. As much as I love my 4Runner, after doing this style of travel on multi-week trips for a number of years now, I think I'm ready for more comfort. Getting to an age where I now have to get up to pee at night is a large part of that. Really annoying. So will be thinking about what kind of travel I will be doing in the future.

These trips are generally wildlife photography trips, though this year the PCH was supposed to be landscape photography. But PCH really didn't work out at all.

For the first set of photos that I've processed from this year's trip, see https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0y55Z2WM0xgd9

<< CLICK HERE -- TRIP PHOTOS >>
Checked those Wildlife Photos. You have got great eyes for nature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior