2005 Frontier/ new flippac weight issues?

SD_Nissmo

Observer
New Springs Installed!

Guys,

Again thanks for the advice. Picked up my truck from national spring. Very excited with the on highway performance. Firm, not excessively bouncy and plenty of wiggle room for more gear weight. Feels more positive and less sag than stock!

Brought the rear end fender height from the sagging 34" and change to about 37.5". The final height is actually about 1.5" higher than before the flip-pac install. Also the increased leaf combo is in a properly arched shape giving me ample clearance between axle and bump stops.

Only down side is an about 1" rear rake. The rake bothers me a bit but it may settle or squat a bit when completely loaded. Maybe an excuse to lift the front a bit more? Upper control arms?

Here are the pics for comparison. Let me know how it looks. My driveway has a slight slope, but you can see the rake pretty obviously.

Attachments

• Post rear lift.jpg
    Post rear lift.jpg
    381.6 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

BlackX

Adventurer
P.S. excellent customer service from Greg at PRG and Ben at National Spring. Pictures soon!
I'd like to hear your impressions of National Spring. I've talked to them about springs on my Xterra. Just saving up the money now. I agree that it's worth it to have them do it because by the time you pay for shipping on springs it's almost the same price.

SD_Nissmo

Observer
Hitting a trail tomorrow will let you know and post pics. Dropped $650 out the door with install. Cheaper to buy the springs on their own, but these guys seem pretty squared away. PM me if you want specifics.

SD_Nissmo

Observer
Springs Working Great!

Hit the Otay Truck Trail here in SD with the new spring pack. All seems good and the truck handled great. Heading out again this wk end and will continue to evaluate. Still trying to come to grips with the slight rake.

Attachments

• IMG_6253.JPG
    IMG_6253.JPG
    654.1 KB · Views: 93

SD_Nissmo

Observer
Have to get back to you on the mileage. I recently changed tire size to 285/ 75/ 16s, added the flip-pac and new springs. On the last few adventures have had a load of two full coolers, 16gal water, propane table chairs, dog, gear etc. I found I am driving more conservatively with the new adds so I haven't noticed a significant decrease. I need to try to figure it out.

On a side note got nice and stuck on the Los Pinos trail in the San Diego area this wk end! Rain had really rutted a section of the trail and left a big mud pit. Got high centered on my rear diff and the passenger side wheel was unable to get traction regardless of how many rocks I built up under the tires!

Sorry to say a nicely built jeep with a winch helped me out. Glad I ran into him!

Last edited:

BlackX

Adventurer
Got high centered on my rear diff and the passenger side wheel was unable to get traction regardless of how many rocks I built up under the tires!
Just an FYI there's a group buy going on now for the Blue Torch Fab rear dif cover you may want to think about getting in on. I have this cover and man it is beefy compared to stock. Here's a link to more info. The deal is directly through BTF with whom I have no affiliation.
http://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/forum/index.php?topic=1223.0

How are you liking the ride with the work North County Spring did? I'm close to pulling the trigger on this too. After my trip this weekend I'm way past due for work on my rear suspension.

SD_Nissmo

Observer
Thanks for the heads up on the group buy. Is there a link to the actual product?

The springs from National Spring are great. They have a slight rake when unloaded, but I am coming to terms with it. With a full camping load the truck sits level and is about 2.5 taller than stock. Rides a bit bouncy unloaded, but not bad at all. Over all a much improved firm ride.

red87

Adventurer
Have to get back to you on the mileage. I recently changed tire size to 285/ 75/ 16s, added the flip-pac and new springs. On the last few adventures have had a load of two full coolers, 16gal water, propane table chairs, dog, gear etc. I found I am driving more conservatively with the new adds so I haven't noticed a significant decrease. I need to try to figure it out.

On a side note got nice and stuck on the Los Pinos trail in the San Diego area this wk end! Rain had really rutted a section of the trail and left a big mud pit. Got high centered on my rear diff and the passenger side wheel was unable to get traction regardless of how many rocks I built up under the tires!

Sorry to say a nicely built jeep with a winch helped me out. Glad I ran into him!

Sounds like its time for a locker :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles