2011 Ford Diesel real world 28 MPG

Bella PSD

Explorer
2011 Ford Diesel 28 MPG real world #

I drive a Ford 7.3L diesel and have always keep up on every drop of diesel/Biodiesel that has ever went into my truck. I hand calculated every tank to check my Fuel Economy. That's is why the topic of the 2011 MPG is so interesting to me.

I have posted on several threads here on how these seemingly unreal MPG claims from the 2011 Ford diesel were obtained. Lets face it, it's the Internet with tall tails abound. I have even been in person showing my 7.3L log book from my fill ups and still get “no way you hit 24MPG, just no way with 35” tires”.

I was skeptical of the 2011 numbers because of all the variables that throw off the mpg reading like tire pressure, odometer off, driving style, non-total fill ups and relying on the trip computer for the reporting of MPG.

So I went in search of the next best thing for me, someone who would do as I would do and log every drop and hand calculate over a wide range of miles. I found the report HERE. His name is Wayne and someone here on Portal knows him personally, just can't remember who. Wayne Gerdes, works at a nuclear power plant. I have read all 6 pages of the thread and his method for collecting date is dead on.

So what is so remarkable? The fact that 390HP diesel 4x4 crew cab truck that weights in at 8,000 LBS can get 28mpg AND meet stricter emissions standards than ever before!

Here are some of the facts from the almost 2,000 mile Fuel Economy MPG run.

1,907 miles on 68.094 gallons of std. Diesel
and B99 mixed to ~ B20
= a total MPG of 28.005 mpg US.

For the average driver with their Super Duty setup similarly and while driving down a somewhat flat elevation Interstate under cruise control, the following should be readily repeatable.

• 50-mph: 28.3 mpg
• 55-mph: 26.8 mpg
• 60-mph: 25.3 mpg
• 65-mph: 22.3 mpg
• 70-mph: 21.1 mpg
*Remember that this is the trucks OEM display with actual Fuel Economy ~ 1 to 1.5 mpg below that shown on the aFCD.

I trust the numbers above about 100%. This is really good news! And a note on the above MPG numbers, this was with 20% biodiesel that might drop the MPG just a bit, maybe .5MPG. A bet a 4x2 could get over 30 mpg!

Louie

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29847

Last edited:

Rozzi

Adventurer
Louie,
Great information. Thanks for sharing. I, too, kept a log book on my 7.3 diesel 4x4, 6 spd.
Unfortunately, I sold the truck last year at the 200,000 mile mark.
I drove the truck pretty hard and averaged 18.
Great data you have collected. Maybe one day I will get a 6.7. After disappointing 6.0 and 6.4 diesels, I hope Ford gets this one right. I'd be scared to own a 6.0 or 6.4.
Again, exciting mpg from a heavy truck. Ford Tough! :sombrero:

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Best of luck to Ford.

I hope Ford and it's buyers have great luck with this engine. If the mileage claims prove out and they are reliable, Ford won't be able to make enough. We'll see how they do with 35" tires which are need to navigate offroad through the soft stuff. I average 14.5 hand calculated out of mine w/34" tires,Smarty programmer and a handshaker. That's with 2000# on my back constantly. Another plus of the Ford is that they cut 5.5' off of their turning radius when they chucked the leaf springs. I've ridden in an F-350 4wd in Baja and it's slow going with the old suspension. That was with an 800# camper and supplies for a week. A lot of good jobs are provided by the manufacture of this truck worldwide.

truck mechanic

Adventurer
Thanx for the info! I been saying for the past few years that the oms have the ability to get better numbers, its about time they showed what they could really do!
just my .02

bobcat charlie

Adventurer
Those milage figures are definitly believable. I just got better than 21 mpg (hand calculated, 23.3 on the overhead) for a 1000 mile trip between the Bay Area and San Diego and back. Ran a little over 70mph on I-5, watched the EGT and downshifted from 6th when the temp went over 600*...the EGT gage is escential to get best economy from a diesel, it takes fuel to drive up the temp.

It's pretty easy to get mid 20s mpg if your willing to keep the speeds down in the 50s mph, which is why I get better milage on secondary roads.

BTW, my truck is around 8000# and running 35" BFG ATs (well, 34.7"...), and has the Smarty Jr. on the +100HP setting.

haven

Expedition Leader
Very interesting indeed! There aren't many of us who would drive the minimum speed limit on the Interstate to achieve better fuel economy. Regardless, these results are impressive from a large, heavy 4X4 vehicle.

Remember that the author, Wayne Gerdes, makes his living stretching the most miles from a gallon of fuel. Wayne is credited for inventing the term "hyper-miler", and has written books, made videos, and appeared on TV to discuss how to improve fuel mileage by changing your driving habits. He even got into trouble with the AAA car club, who labeled Wayne's driving suggestions as unsafe for the average motorist.

I think this quote from Wayne is more realistic of typical use. At least, this is how people drive their trucks where I live!
"Another metric came from the dealer group that took the trucks out all day yesterday. At an average speed of 85 mph, the truck with a 3.73 rear end averaged 16.9 mpg." http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showpost.php?p=257049&postcount=14 paragraph 8

Skimming the 6 pages of posts in the thread, I appreciated the report about the cost in mpg while the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) is heated up to burn out the trapped particles. Looks like mpg drops 1 to 3 mpg during the burn, which lasts about 15 minutes. The DPF regeneration cycle appears to happen once or twice per tank of fuel.

What's the reason for adding the biodiesel to achieve B20 in the tank? Wayne went out of his way to pick up four 5-gallon cans of B99 to blend with truck stop diesel. Just to confirm that the truck runs well on it? Or does biodiesel boost mpg?

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I really have to tune up my 7.3 or figure out what's going on with it. It runs absolutely great, but I've been 14-15 mpg pretty regularly with regular old 33" tires.. Bummer. I did the math and the 2 mpg is costing me at least $800 a year in fuel... I can't wait to convert it to vegetable oil...

Last edited:

Bella PSD

Explorer
What's the reason for adding the biodiesel to achieve B20 in the tank? Wayne went out of his way to pick up four 5-gallon cans of B99 to blend with truck stop diesel. Just to confirm that the truck runs well on it? Or does biodiesel boost mpg?

I guess he ran biodiesel because Ford says in will cover/warranty B20. No one else will do this. Biodiesel will not get as good as MPG as dino diesel. When I go from 100% dino diesel to 100% biodiesel I drop 1mpg. But it sure smells good!

Louie

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I really have to tune up my 7.3 or figure out what's going on with it. I've been 14-15 mpg pretty regularly with regular old 33" tires.. Bummer. I did the math and the 2 mpg is costing me at least $800 a year in fuel... I can't wait to convert it to vegetable oil...
My friend has a 2000 F-350 7.3 4wd Supercab longbed with stock pizza cuters,Banks torque convertor and Powerpack. Add to this a Snugtop cab-high shell. He has never exceed 15 mpg and drives like a granny.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Dodge will also do B20 as well as VW for sure.. Not sure about others. Weirdest thing I found was B20 to B50 actually ran great for me, no loss of power and seemed to have better throttle response. No real difference in power though. Very interesting. The biggest issue I figured was the exhaust catalyst I don't think will run very well on higher biodiesel but honestly not sure.

Bella PSD

Explorer
Looks like 2011 GM diesels are on board for Biodiesel at 20%.

General Motors said at the National Biodiesel Conference that the 6.6-liter turbodiesel engine available in heavy-duty Chevrolet Silverados, 2011 GMC Sierras, 2011 Chevrolet Express and 2011 GMC Savana vans will be compatible with B20 fuel, which is a 20-percent blend of biodiesel.

I had forgot about VW.

chasespeed

Explorer
In my experience, good mileage with these 7.3 PSDs, is a crap shoot. My last 7.3, in a Super Duty, Super Cab, short bed, NEVER got better than 16mpg no matter HOW I drove it... period. My previous one, I could easily get 18....crew cab, long bed....

My current(12vavle Cummins)... I avg 19, pretty much no matter how I drive. If I can get on teh highway for long stretches, and baby-sit the pyro, keeping the EGTs below 650-600..it goes even higher....

Chase

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles