Do you feel the need to have a weapon when camping

Status
Not open for further replies.

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
I hope this is the appropriate forum to discuss this. I did a search and found a lot of posts in the gun forum, but I'm not necessarily thinking of guns per se.

When I'm camping in the backcountry I sometimes wonder if I'm being naive for not having some sort of defense mechanism other than my fists or whatever crude object I may be able to scramble if awoken to some threat. I generally like to live my life free of fear but I also always like being prepared.
I've been researching guns, stun guns and knives recently and I'm curious what others are doing.

I know this is a touchy subject but I value all the input on other gear and usefulness of it, so thought I'd see what you guys are doing. I really never felt the need for any kind of weapon when I was by myself or with friends camping, but now that I have a family, protection comes to mind.

Feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Kye

I have one for the same reasons that I have auto insurance, a fire extinguisher, and a medical kit. Far better to have them and not need them then the opposite.

SilverBullet

Explorer
I actually bought a 12g for camping with the family. In ou rTent Trailer, smells escape and attract animals, so I bought it to protect the family.

BorntoVenture

Adventurer
You never know what you might encounter when in the back country and away from civilization, and the most dangerous creatures out there are the two legged ones.

This is why I carry when camping. I always have the Glock 23 (.40 S&W) on me and my Hi-Point 9mm Carbine in the truck. Over the years I've only been involved in one outdoors incident that made me draw my firearm and I thank my stars I had it on me. No shots fired but it did end a very unstable situation with a group of people planning to rob a group of campers.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
As far as the discussion about shotguns go...please don't pigeon-hole me with your thought about racking to scare someone.

thats about the stupidest thing one could do, mostly because you loose the element of surprise...

Also, as far as bears go, a quality brenneke slug or 2 will absolutely take care of a bear, including some of the larger breeds.

In terms of aiming, I don't know about you, but I'm pretty freakin' surgical with my shotgun. I practice monthly at the range, and shoot trap to get better at moving targets (charging animals, etc)

Not to say I won't miss, but I'm still going for a center mass double hit with a quick followup shot...just like I would a pistol

What can be said about a shotgun or any longarm is that it's easier to line up on the target for most people because of the longer sight radius (distance between front and rear sights.) if you're shaky due to adrenaline, it will effect your accuracy less with a longer gun.

just fyi.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Here's my current setup, though I'll probably go to a knoxx recoil-reducing stock soon, so that I can adjust the length of pull for my wife to be able to use it better.

DSC07366.jpg

vhram

Observer
20 Years ago , My wife always questioned why I always took guns on my backcountry trips, until we ran into a group like Barnold did. Had the mini 14 . Amazing people know what that slide sounds like when you rack a round.I believe if I wasnt armed this would have turned out badly.12 to 1 is not good odds unarmed . Wife hasn't had a question about the guns since then.

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Having a firearm is always good. the real question is are you mentally prepared to use it. Yes, most would be ok with taking down a 4 legged animal, but to be mentally prepared to take down a 2 legged one could pose a problem for some.

Overdrive

Adventurer
When I'm camping in the backcountry I sometimes wonder if I'm being naive for not having some sort of defense mechanism... I generally like to live my life free of fear but I also always like being prepared.

Being prepared allows you to live your life free of fear.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I have one for the same reasons that I have auto insurance, a fire extinguisher, and a medical kit. Far better to have them and not need them then the opposite.

Pretty much my attitude. In 25+ years of camping and outdoors-exploring I've never had to present, much less use, a gun. Never had any bad encounters or ran into any bad folks or hungry animals.

But you know what? In 25+ years I've never had a fire go out of control, either, and I still carry a fire extinguisher and a shovel. :elkgrin:

JKDetonator

Adventurer
Just My 2 Cents...

I agree with Overdrive, being prepared is what its all about! My Father always went camping with a weapon, and he taught me. I always go camping with a weapon and I taught my children. My wife, kids, and I train with our weapons at the range often. Out of 5 children, 3 have concealed carry license with myself and wife. The other two just don't like them, and thats OK. However, I've noticed more than once when they have asked if I was armed, of course the answer is - ALWAYS! How can you go camping without a knife? One of the purposes of a forum like this is to discuss preparedness, whether that is an 4wd vehicle, your person, or your equipment. I try to keep all of the above in a state of preparedness just in case they are needed. Being a parent also changes your perspective and your primal protectiveness genes kick in overdrive. By protecting oneself you are capable of protecting your family. That being said, I fear the two legged animals much more than the four legged varieties; however, seldom does anyone in my presence know that I am armed and capable. I've lived in AK and had browns within rock throwing distance, I've never pointed a weapon at them. I've had black bears looking in my windows of the camper; never pointed a weapon at them. Common sense and the lack of fear allowed me to difuse the situation because I was armed and used other tactics first. God created all men; Samual Colt equalized all men. Sometimes a smile and quick tongue just aren't enough. Good luck with your decision, you are just begining to work on your preparedness.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I go back and forth on this. I like to be prepared for things in general. But I think I'm more afraid of guns than other threats out in the wild. It seems to me, the things I'd need to do to have the gun safe and legal in Canada, also make it somewhat useless for defence. ie: fumbling with a trigger lock while a bear attacks, etc. Also, I do believe there are more accidental firearm deaths every year than bear deaths.

Interesting note:

According to Taylor Y. Cardall MD and Peter Rosen MD, in their article "Grizzly Bear Attack" published in the Journal of Emergency Medicine, there were 162 bear-inflicted injuries reported in the United States between 1900 and 1985. This constitutes approximately two reported bear-inflicted injuries per year. Likewise, Stephen Herrero, a Canadian biologist, reports that during the 1990s bears killed 29 people in the U.S. and Canada, or around three people a year, as compared to the 15 people killed every year by dogs. Multiple reports remark that one is more likely to be struck by lightning than to be attacked by a bear when outdoors; around 90 people are killed by lightning each year.

By contrast, the CDC reports over 20,000 accidental non-fatal gunshot wounds in the US in 2000 alone.

Do people who carry guns for defense, also walk around with lighting rods? ;)

I do carry a large knife, and will be getting some pepper spray. Also, as part of "being prepared" I chose to live in an area where I don't need to worry about crime so much.

Pedro

Capitan rally fluffer
I go back and forth on this. I like to be prepared for things in general. But I think I'm more afraid of guns than other threats out in the wild. It seems to me, the things I'd need to do to have the gun safe and legal in Canada, also make it somewhat useless for defence. ie: fumbling with a trigger lock while a bear attacks, etc. Also, I do believe there are more accidental firearm deaths every year than bear deaths.

Interesting note:

By contrast, the CDC reports over 20,000 accidental non-fatal gunshot wounds in the US in 2000 alone.

Do people who carry guns for defense, also walk around with lighting rods? ;)

I do carry a large knife, and will be getting some pepper spray. Also, as part of "being prepared" I chose to live in an area where I don't need to worry about crime so much.
Stupid hurts and sometimes kills. that is all the posted statistic is. There are pluses and minuses to the gun laws in this country. But unfortunately the reckless and stupid make all of the gun owners look bad or irresponsible.

XJINTX

Explorer
I carry and have my CHL. Interesting note is that at the class for CHL we had a woman that was a police officer but no loner associated. She said that she was taught that wasp spary worked better than pepper spray. Much more range and can be deadly or damageing. That is why self-defense people will not come out and recommend it.

Since then I always have a can in my camping gear bug-out bag. Heck, never know when I'm attacked by wasps ;)

timh

Explorer
I can see how the area that one lives or grew up in could influence thier decision on this matter. Myself, I have always lived in Southern Arizona and have always been around guns. The only time I carry is in the backcountry. Living this close to the border I worry more about people than animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke