What kind of camp cook are you?

Hmmm---camp cooking. Can be anything from Seafood Paella in a gravel pit in Baja---to cups of soup in the mud and Interior of Alaska! Generally, we try and have fresh veges, fresh seafood (grilled or foiled or made into soup or stew) and then I will make stews that we seal-a-meal to put into hot water when camp is late. Favorite breakfasts--Soy chorizo/eggs souffle with tortillas--overlooking the Grand Canyon at sunrise! Maybe throw in a mimosa :elkgrin:

Then there is the Wok goodies--the high butane Wok cooker, lots of pre-cut veges and seafood--teriyaki sauce--believe me--folks line up for this treat! (We need an eating smilie!!)

Our favorites--pre-made burritos, wrapped in foil--heated on the radiator--yummy!!

Super Doody

Explorer
desertgirl66 said:
Hmmm---camp cooking. Can be anything from Seafood Paella in a gravel pit in Baja---to cups of soup in the mud and Interior of Alaska! Generally, we try and have fresh veges, fresh seafood (grilled or foiled or made into soup or stew) and then I will make stews that we seal-a-meal to put into hot water when camp is late. Favorite breakfasts--Soy chorizo/eggs souffle with tortillas--overlooking the Grand Canyon at sunrise! Maybe throw in a mimosa :elkgrin:

Then there is the Wok goodies--the high butane Wok cooker, lots of pre-cut veges and seafood--teriyaki sauce--believe me--folks line up for this treat! (We need an eating smilie!!)

Our favorites--pre-made burritos, wrapped in foil--heated on the radiator--yummy!!

Soy chrizo taste the like the real thing:D Do you guys have a speical holder/gadget for heating food on radiator?

BTW I read your all of your alaska trip blog. Great bed time read. Awesome :D . I'm gona make girlfriend read but edit the part about the mosquitoes so perhaps we can make the trip some day. What work really well with skin itch bugs or posion oak is a hot shower or water. The itch intensity increase like 100X but after about 30 secs it feel sooo good.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Meat, meat, and meat.:bigbossHL:
Breakfast usually consists of some type of sausage and (not or) bacon, eggs, o'brien potatoes, OJ, and Mt. Dew (not a big coffee guy).
Morning snack is usually a turkey sandwich and a Dew.
Lunch usually consists of some type of links on a wheat roll with the fixin's and a Guinness.
Afternoon snack is a protein bar, chips, and water.
Dinner is ALWAYS 2 or 3 rib eye steaks in a soy sauce/teriyaki marinade seared on a hot grill, done medium-rare and a few Guinness.
After dinner is ALWAYS more Guinness and smores.

Oh yeah.... the kids like to Q hotdogs (beef of course!!!).

Hmmmmm..... "Hey honey.... I think I'll grill some rib eyes for dinner tonight!":drool:

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
sinuhexavier said:
Alone I'm a big fan of the one pan mish mosh... And the all time trailside fav for me is cheddar brats.

Cheddar brats are great on the trail. They are simple and super tasty.

Super Doody

Explorer
Mike_rupp said:
Cheddar brats are great on the trail. They are simple and super tasty.

Have you ever seen this

http://www.hammacher.com/publish/50929.asp#

courtesy of parksoffroad.com
DSCF9878.JPG

The stove does look more appetizing though.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I'm a keep it simple camp eater. I use primarily my whisper light stove or if I'm really splurging will bust out my coleman gas grill. I use mostly dry foods and if I'm getting fancy, maybe a package of tuna mixed in with pasta for some protein. If I'm camping close to civilization, I'll get some perishables and make something more gourmet, like burritos with luxuries like cheese and salsa. I tend to have so much gear with me that I try to really keep as much down to the basics as possible so I'm not lugging around too much. The food is definately an area that I stick to the basics.

Some of the spreads that you guys do though, make me salivate just looking at. I gotta start traveling with some of you!:D

rusty_tlc

Explorer
upcruiser said:
I'm a keep it simple camp eater. I use primarily my whisper light stove or if I'm really splurging will bust out my coleman gas grill. I use mostly dry foods and if I'm getting fancy, maybe a package of tuna mixed in with pasta for some protein. If I'm camping close to civilization, I'll get some perishables and make something more gourmet, like burritos with luxuries like cheese and salsa. I tend to have so much gear with me that I try to really keep as much down to the basics as possible so I'm not lugging around too much. The food is definately an area that I stick to the basics.

Some of the spreads that you guys do though, make me salivate just looking at. I gotta start traveling with some of you!:D
While I was working on my 40 I finagled rides on a few Rubicon and Fordyce trips by doing the cooking. You might try to hook up with someone who cooks well and needs a ride.

toyrunner95

Explorer
i keep my cooking simple. boil water. u can make anything in boiled water. crack an egg or two in a plastic bag, add all your omlete fixings and boil it for 3 or 4 min.

OR

take a camp grate and make a fire for meats. i like my stuff fire roasted. or if u are lazy, cup o noodles. rinse and save the cup for other things like coca or top ramen.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
upcruiser said:
been trying to work that angle with my girlfriend. I always end up doing the cooking though.:p
Why does this remind me of the saying from the seventies "A**, gas or grass, nobody rides for free."?

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
Super Doody said:
Have you ever seen this

http://www.hammacher.com/publish/50929.asp#

courtesy of parksoffroad.com
DSCF9878.JPG

The stove does look more appetizing though.

I used to buy all kids of gadgets, but now I try to keep things simple, especially on the trail. What I like about the cast iron is that I can boil the cheddar brats to cook them and then drain the water and then dry fry them to get the outsides crispy.

Regular brats are easy too. Just boil them in some beer & onions and then dry fry to crisp up. Serve with some brown mustard. It's simple & good eats.

big sky trapper

Adventurer
100_3294.jpg

I love to cook real food. single overnighter we'll do the the bag nasties, but if were someplace for a few days all the cook stuff comes out...venison and antelope seasoned and stuffed with whole garlic cloves and thick sliced bacon. Biscuits on the side and hobo 'taters in the foil...

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
I tend to go all out. I have found that on my adventures there are 2 things paramount to me. Good food and good sleep. If I have those 2 things I can can deal with any other adversaty.

I handled the food for the baja trip and when I showed up at my house with the back of my ranger filled with food my wife laughed. But I was cooking for 12 people for 2 weeks. Once it was repackaged it fill a 60L engel and 2 rubber made bins. However we had everything from eggs, pancakes, cereal, bacon and more for breakfast. sandwiches, soups and chips for lunch. And finally dinners ranged from chicken penne pasta, fish tacos, Stir Fry and more.

I also packed all the rigs every morning with a "snack pack" For the crew. There was gorp, power bars, dried fruit, hard candy etc. No complaints LOL!

The only time I use Prepack dehydrated foods is on multi day sea kayak trips and even then I pack the good ones from backpackers pantry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior