Edged Tools? What do you use?

WyoExplorer

Observer
This is what I have in the vehicle...probably more if I really dug around :) I have a Bahco HUS 1.0-650 camp axe, it has survived 2 years at hunting camp and gets a lot of use during the summer trips. It has held up very well for an inexpensive axe. I also carry a Bahco 24" bow saw with an extra blade. I used it several times last summer to clear trees that had fallen across the trail, I like the knuckle guard, prevents mashed fingers. The three knives I've made. The large chopper has an 11.5" blade made of 3/16" ATS-34, Micarta handle, works well for clearing small limbs and light chopping. The camp knife has a 6.5" blade of CPM S30V with Micarta handle. The folder has a 3.5" blade, CPM S30V, titanuim liners/handles. Not pictured but always on my side is a Leatherman Wave.

gedc1460.jpg

HenryKrinkle

Observer
I carry an Emerson mini cqc-7 or a Strider WP tanto. Aside from that I have an old full size axe and a hack saw in the back. I need to get a bow saw for firewood. Those huge teeth make short work of logs.

LilKJ

Adventurer
No one's mentioned trauma shears... sad thing is they see more use for me than just about anything else... haha

720532.jpg

I also am a big fan of my chain saw... has come in handy MANY times
hand_chain_saw-thumb-300x300.jpg

leverett

Observer
edged tools depends on desination and duration of trip but allways have a gerber multitool in the truck(dosent leave the truck) and unless im at school i carry a sog twitch 2. usually have a fullsize ka-bar and a cold steel kukuri macete if the trip is more than a day trip. gerber full size axe and hacksaw with a tree blade

maxama10

Welcome to Nevadafornia
I EDC a Kershaw Leek and it's sweet.

I have at all times in the truck, the same gerber hatchet, a Ka-bar, a mini leatherman, and I usually bring along the CRKT M16 knife.

I really need to get a bow saw to throw in the truck.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I will add a second vote for the Woodman's Pal. When I started my research for the Classic Kit piece I did in the Summer '09 Overland Journal on the Woodman's Pal, I was amazed by how many of these tools are on their second, third, or fifth decade of use. I just used mine on Saturday during a long day of trail maintenance and it was perfect.

Between my Woodman's Pal, and Laguiole sommelier's knife, I'm about set. I might carry my Victorinox Swiss Army knife my grandfather gave me for my 10th birthday 29 years ago, but that's it.

7wt

Expedition Leader
You hit a bit of a soft spot for me so here goes. For light chopping I use my Fort Turner tomohawk, scarry sharp and fun to throw. For batoning and general cutting stuff up, I use my ESEE (RAT) RC3 and HEST. I like the HEST much better, it just feels better in my hand although the RC3 is probably better suited for bush work. For daily carry and general whittling I rely on my Spyderco UKPK, what a sweet blade. I just love love the leaf blades Spyderco makes.

DSC_0002-2.jpg

827820855_Wi9xd-L.jpg

828601122_62RQP-L.jpg

827842474_4oLqs-L.jpg

Last edited:

LilKJ

Adventurer
For their size, they work pretty well. It's the technique that makes them work. Once you figure it out, they're pretty great.

Very true... I generally ony use it for cutting larger branches off of fallen trees for firewood. For the tiny space they take up, they are awesome.

I don't recall the brand that mine is... google "manual chain saw" and you should see a few.:ylsmoke:

djrez4

Adventurer
Very true... I generally ony use it for cutting larger branches off of fallen trees for firewood. For the tiny space they take up, they are awesome.

I don't recall the brand that mine is... google "manual chain saw" and you should see a few.:ylsmoke:

I have a Remington or Winchester (I forget which) branded one that I picked up at Walmart for maybe $6-7. It doesn't have nice handles like the one pictured, but it gets the job done.

Albin

Adventurer
You hit a bit of a soft spot for me so here goes. For light chopping I use my Fort Turner tomohawk, scarry sharp and fun to throw. For batoning and general cutting stuff up, I use my ESEE (RAT) RC3 and HEST. I like the HEST much better, it just feels better in my hand although the RC3 is probably better suited for bush work. For daily carry and general whittling I rely on my Spyderco UKPK, what a sweet blade. I just love love the leaf blades Spyderco makes.

827820855_Wi9xd-L.jpg

[snip]

I just got a ESEE RC-4 knife and you can now count me as a die hard RAT fan - they are excellent knives! The lifetime, no questions, no BS warranty is another huge plus.

Al

LilKJ

Adventurer
I have a Remington or Winchester (I forget which) branded one that I picked up at Walmart for maybe $6-7. It doesn't have nice handles like the one pictured, but it gets the job done.

The handles really make the tool with the chain saws... I've used the "survival" type and that is quite the painful process:Wow1:

flipe8

I've been carrying a small Chris Reeve Sebenza for a number of years daily, while a Grohmann#3 is my knife for the woods.

Attachments

• P4110695.JPG
    P4110695.JPG
    608.9 KB · Views: 26

Sirocco

Explorer
Gerber also do a good machete.

The Gator, the sawback has come in handy a few times to :)

I also carry a Gerber Crux multitool, Opinel folding knife, a Fiskars hatchet/camp axe (same as Gerber, you will see Fiskars embossed on the handle up near the head) and a Bow Saw.

G

Attachments

• d_7514.jpg
    d_7514.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 7850_p.jpg
    7850_p.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 24
  • OpinelKnife.jpg
    OpinelKnife.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 21
  • gerber-crux.jpg